1967 convertible frame interchange.

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2024 | 02:47 PM

1967 convertible frame interchange.

Will different year cutlass convertible frames interchange with a 1967 convertible? What about other GM convertible frame's interchange for a Cutlass convertible. As in the chassis frame. Anyone Joe Padavano?

Last edited by wr1970; October 17th, 2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old Yesterday | 06:19 AM

I can tell you that 64-67 Chevy, Buick, and Pontiac A-body frames will NOT directly swap over to your 67 Cutlass. The main difference between the olds A-body frames and oll other GM A-body frames is the front frame horns. 67 Olds has front horns that get wider at the front to accomodate the radiator support.

I think 65 and 66 Olds A-body may have also used the wider frame horns, but I am not sure. If 64-66 olds A-body frames have the wider front frame horns they will also work.

All of the other 64-67 A-bodies (Pontiac, Chevy, Buick) used straight front frame horns which would need to be cut off to have 67 front horns welded on. Chevy frames are also about 3" shorter in the rear frame rails that run next to the gas tank than Pontiac, Buick, or Olds. This makes the Chevy and Olds frames unique

The rear upper spring cups are also unique to 67 frames. 67 A-bodies used rear srings with a small pig tail at the top. While the earlier 64-66 A-body frames used a spring that had the large diameter the whole way to the top. This is an easy fix as you can just use the correct year springs for the frame you have. You can use a hardtop frame under a convertible, but if you do not add the boxes to the frame rails, you will lose a lot of strength.
Old Yesterday | 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
I can tell you that 64-67 Chevy, Buick, and Pontiac A-body frames will NOT directly swap over to your 67 Cutlass. The main difference between the olds A-body frames and oll other GM A-body frames is the front frame horns. 67 Olds has front horns that get wider at the front to accomodate the radiator support.

I think 65 and 66 Olds A-body may have also used the wider frame horns, but I am not sure. If 64-66 olds A-body frames have the wider front frame horns they will also work.

All of the other 64-67 A-bodies (Pontiac, Chevy, Buick) used straight front frame horns which would need to be cut off to have 67 front horns welded on. Chevy frames are also about 3" shorter in the rear frame rails that run next to the gas tank than Pontiac, Buick, or Olds. This makes the Chevy and Olds frames unique

The rear upper spring cups are also unique to 67 frames. 67 A-bodies used rear srings with a small pig tail at the top. While the earlier 64-66 A-body frames used a spring that had the large diameter the whole way to the top. This is an easy fix as you can just use the correct year springs for the frame you have. You can use a hardtop frame under a convertible, but if you do not add the boxes to the frame rails, you will lose a lot of strength.
so the 66 does interchange but you need 66 springs. On the rear
Old Yesterday | 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
so the 66 does interchange but you need 66 springs. On the rear
I am not sure. Like I said, I think 65 and 66 might use the same style front frame horns. I have not owned a 4, 5, or 6 cutlass so I cannot be sure. If you can confirm that 66 Cutlass used the same style front frame horns as the 67, then yes, you would just need to use 66 style rear springs to put a 66 frame under your 67.
Old Yesterday | 10:27 AM

One thing about the frame rails being different is Olds went to side tank radiators before other GM cars. If the 1966 used a top tank radiator, then it won't interchange. But if the 1966 used the side tanks it likely would. I've got a 1966 but it's been at the paint shop for so long I don't remember which it has.
Old Yesterday | 10:30 AM

If you get into a pinch trying to find a frame, the Vista Cruiser also has a fully boxed frame like the convertible. It would take some work, but the front half of the Vista Cruiser frame could be spliced onto the convertible frame. Just a thought to have more options for your search.
Old Today | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
If you get into a pinch trying to find a frame, the Vista Cruiser also has a fully boxed frame like the convertible. It would take some work, but the front half of the Vista Cruiser frame could be spliced onto the convertible frame. Just a thought to have more options for your search.
It's not for me . Had a guy tell me there is no interchange for a 1967 Cutlass convertible frame. I know they made a boxing kit that you can weld in for GM frame's. So you can use a 1967 Cutlass frame on a convertible.