1964 Jetstar center link - sources??

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM

1964 Jetstar center link - sources??

I posted a similar question in the Eighty-eight section section, just looking for more responses:

I am freshening up the front end of my 1964 Jetstar convertible. I have all the parts I need except the elusive center link, which has the ends facing opposites directions.

I am aware of Kantor as a source, but I would like other options. The ebay ones are usually wrong for this car (I have even bought one before I knew of the unique style).

The car is on the road, and I have a parts car for any emergencies... just wondering about any other directions on this.

Please respond with "sure thing" leads or links, not guesses, as I have chased too many ghost on this. I REALLY would appreciate any additional solid leads. Thank you!

- Smooth

1864 Jetstar Convertible - Black plate car - Mine for the last 3 years - Previously in an inventory of cars which were leased to film makers.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I've been checking for you, but haven't had any luck either. Apparently the Jetstar88 used different steering linkage parts from the other full size cars in 64.
There might be someone who could rebuild the original for you.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:58 AM

Thank you

Thank you Cooper; I truly appreciate you putting energy into this!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Smooth
......1864 Jetstar Convertible - Black plate car - Mine for the last 3 years - Previously in an inventory of cars which were leased to film makers.........
Wow!! 1864 Jetstar's must be pretty rare..
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM

nice...

nice... can always count on Oldsmobile Brothers to "bust *****" on the important details.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM

I am aware of Kantor as a source, but I would like other options.
What's wrong with the Kanter unit?

I needed a center link for a '64 Jetstar I restored back in the early 1990s, and back then it wasn't the easiest thing to find. I did get one from Fusick back then, but I don't see it in their catalog any more, and I'm guessing it hasn't been there for a long time.

These things don't grow on trees. If Kanter has it, you might think about jumping on it before they don't carry it any more, either.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM

Exclamation Just posting for reading material

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What's wrong with the Kanter unit?

I needed a center link for a '64 Jetstar I restored back in the early 1990s, and back then it wasn't the easiest thing to find. I did get one from Fusick back then, but I don't see it in their catalog any more, and I'm guessing it hasn't been there for a long time.

These things don't grow on trees. If Kanter has it, you might think about jumping on it before they don't carry it any more, either.

Maybe too close to the Buck to buy one and then there won't be any left 'cause of their rareness....
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM

Money and the truth

Chequenman,

How crazy of me to check here for someone who might have another outlet...

Truth is, I don't care about spending money for this car, if I did, I would have bought a fricken belly button car, not a nomad like the Jetstar. I was simply giving another supplier who wasn't taking advantage of the situation the opportunity to shine, so maybe others who are working on cars like this have options.

Maybe I should have gotten into a Fusick's Cutlass... nahh... too cool being in a Jetstar. <lol>

To jaunty75,

From what I have been told, Kanter is great to deal with and the part will be right... good. Thank you for your constructive help. I will call Fusick to see if they have one anyway.

-Smooth

Last edited by Smooth; April 3rd, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:48 AM

How crazy of me to check here for someone who might have another outlet...
I thought I asked a perfectly legitimate question. If I read your post right, you found a part that will work at Kanter, but you didn't want to buy it. You didn't say why you didn't want to buy it, and I asked why not. Now you seem to find this question offensive. What's your problem?
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Maybe too close to the Buck to buy one and then there won't be any left 'cause of their rareness....
If you would translate this into English, I might understand what you're talking about.
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If you would translate this into English, I might understand what you're talking about.
I think he's trying to say that Smooth might lose out on finding one at all if he's too cheap to pony up for the Kanter part

I gotta say that I can see both sides here. I don't like to pay more than I have to and I won't pay at all if I think the seller is unreasonable. But if you really need it...

Last edited by copper128; April 4th, 2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
I think he's trying to say that Smooth might lose out on finding one at all if he's too cheap to pony up for the Kanter part

I gotta say that I can see both sides here. I don't like to pay more than I have to, but I won't pay at all if I think the seller is unreasonable. But if you really need it...
Thanks. I agree with both points. Thus my "these don't grow on trees" comment. I looked at Kanter's site, and a center link for a '64 Jetstar is almost $300. I don't have the exact figure that I paid back in 1991, but I think it's about triple what I paid. But that was almost 20 years ago.

I remember, too, that back then I could have gotten one simply by going to the local NAPA or other parts stores as they could still be gotten through normal parts supply chains. The prices were higher than Fusick, so that's why I went with Fusick. But in 1991, the car was 27 years old. Now it's 46, and all those parts supply sources have dried up.

Anybody looking for a part like this for a car that old should be happy that anybody at all still makes them, period. The price might be steep, but it's not outrageous (yet), and it's a vital component if you want to drive the car.

There's nothing wrong with looking for a lower price, and if that's why "smooth" is hesitant to buy the part from Kanter, fine. But he never said why, so that's why I asked.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by copper128

I gotta say that I can see both sides here. I don't like to pay more than I have to and I won't pay at all if I think the seller is unreasonable. But if you really need it...

10-4 if you really need it or "not"
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Really?

Jaunty75,

I was T H A N K I N G YOU. It was Chequenman's unhelpful remarks I was commenting on.

My problem is:
I thought the theory here was to toss out a question, which more than one of us might have in common. Then... with any luck... answers come in from others who have conquered the problem.

By now "I get it" on the "get parts when ya can" idea. I have shelves filled with NOS parts, just on this theory... I get it. I have a pretty sound parts car, I get it.

The thread was started by asking for DIRECT LINKS OR SOLID LEADS. Now we have another long unhelpful blog filled with commentary; not one new lead... cool.

I have found two Center Links from a closed Oldsmobile dealer. I am getting them both (for $180 each) on Monday. Thanks for those who tried to help. The next guy will find my original lead here, and some fatherly advice about how old car refurbishing can be tricky and expensive... wow... what a shock they will find themselves in.

Last edited by Smooth; April 4th, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Jaunty75,

I was T H A N K I N G YOU. It was Chequenman's unhelpful remarks I was commenting on.
Oops. My bad. Sorry I took it wrong.

Now we have another long unhelpful blog filled with commentary; not one new lead... cool.
But this is what makes it fun. I'm famous for offering useless advice and starting arguments.

But my point kind of still stands. If you were just trying amass a collection of places where you might buy a center link, that's one thing. If you were looking to actually buy one and wanted to beat Kanter's price, that's something else. As far as new leads, I think the fact that no one has been able to come up with anything you hadn't found yourself is an answer in itself.

I have found two Center Links from a closed Oldsmobile dealer. I am getting them both (for $180 each) on Monday.
Now this is cool. Olds dealers shut down now six years ago, and I would have thought that most would have been liquidated of their parts by now. It's even more interesting that, when that dealer closed in 2004 (or thereabouts, assuming it closed when Olds stopped making cars), even then they would have still had a part in their inventory for what was then a 40 year old car. How did you find this dealer? Is it near you?

Now, if you don't mind my asking an annoying question, why do you need TWO center links? At $180 a pop, I might pause before buying the second one. Is the one in your car now the original one? If so, it's lasted nearly 50 years. Replace it and you're good for another 50 years! You'll probably be in Oldsmobile heaven before the car needs the spare one.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM

To Jaunty75:

Now this is cool. Olds dealers shut down now six years ago, and I would have thought that most would have been liquidated of their parts by now....
Dealership is still operating as a used car lot. Whole upstairs full of old stuff... some really old.

Now, if you don't mind my asking an annoying question, why do you need TWO center links? At $180 a pop, I might pause before buying the second one. Is the one in your car now the original one? If so, it's lasted nearly 50 years. Replace it and you're good for another 50 years! You'll probably be in Oldsmobile heaven before the car needs the spare one.
You are right! However, the crazy chance I have an accident, this will be nice to have. Additionally, it is basically two for the price of one. Also, my parts car could be brought back to life with certain stars lining up. Not as a stock original, but maybe as something more wild... ya never know. Finally, a wise man once told me, "these don't grow on trees."

<lol>
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Dealership is still operating as a used car lot. Whole upstairs full of old stuff... some really old.
Pretty neat. If he's closing down, what's he doing with the rest of the parts? Places like Fusick will sometimes buy collections of NOS parts and offer them for sale until they're gone. Better than having them end up in the landfill.

I haven't seen it in the last two Fusick catalots I got, but they used to include a stapled-together, paper insert with a listing of their one of-only, NOS parts. These would be things that once they're gone, they're gone. I wonder if they still do that.

Finally, a wise man once told me, "these don't grow on trees."
Hmm. I think I know this guy.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Pretty neat. If he's closing down, what's he doing with the rest of the parts?
Sorry, what I meant was: He is still open as a used car lot and a full service garage. It is an old Oldsmobile dealer who has an impressive inventory yet. Interesting to deal with... one of those deals where ya need to hang around a while to "fit in." Plus bring the old car around and let customers reminisce about the old days... then ya might get a look at the museum. I have had a call into him for two weeks about the link. The deal is... I have to let his service guys (who have been there forever) do the work. Fine with me... not like it is fun to do <lol>.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Kanter Drag Link

I know that this reply is too late, but I beleive the Jetstar 88's shared front end parts with the F-85's. I know that the brakes are F-85's.

Kanter sells drag links for $130.00

But I'm glad you were lucky to find them!

I'm just beginning to do some work on my steering linkage. My car (a 1965) kind of wanders a bit. I do have about an inch of free play in the steering wheel and I'm about to find out why! I have read extensively about "road wander" on these cars and it seems that they set-up the front ends to neuteral caster to make the cars steer easier. I have been told by my nephew who is a crack mechanic in Las Vegas where there are thousands of these 1960 big cars, and he found that if the caster is set to about +2-1/2 or 3 deg. caster, ther cars steered a little harder and eliminated the wander. I have also read about this in many articles. I'm having my caster set to positive numbers in a couple of weeks. The positive caster places the upper ball joint slightly behind the lower one. Caster has absolutely no effect on tire wear if done reasonally........

I'll let you kow if this really helps!

Nice Project,

Ddbord

I posted a similar question in the Eighty-eight section section, just looking for more responses:

I am freshening up the front end of my 1964 Jetstar convertible. I have all the parts I need except the elusive center link, which has the ends facing opposites directions.

I am aware of Kantor as a source, but I would like other options. The ebay ones are usually wrong for this car (I have even bought one before I knew of the unique style).

The car is on the road, and I have a parts car for any emergencies... just wondering about any other directions on this.

Please respond with "sure thing" leads or links, not guesses, as I have chased too many ghost on this. I REALLY would appreciate any additional solid leads. Thank you!

- Smooth

1864 Jetstar Convertible - Black plate car - Mine for the last 3 years - Previously in an inventory of cars which were leased to film makers.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Here is a good link......

[quote=Smooth;163320]I posted a similar question in the Eighty-eight section section, just looking for more responses:

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofsus.htm#Suspension

Try looking at this link. It has some real good things about 1960's Suspension and steering. Especially note the section Alignment.

A great site for info...

Ddbord

Last edited by Ddbord; April 4th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
I know that this reply is too late, but I beleive the Jetstar 88's shared front end parts with the F-85's. I know that the brakes are F-85's.
I think the front end parts sharing was limited to the brakes. After all, the Jetstar 88 was full-size in terms of wheelbase, etc. so some parts for the F-85s won't fit. But I also seem to recall, back when I was getting parts for mine, that there were many "Jetstar-only" parts because it was essentially a hybrid of the big cars and the small cars. I think the centerlink might have been one of them.
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:59 AM

The deal is... I have to let his service guys (who have been there forever) do the work.
So he won't sell you the part at all unless you have the service done there, too? I can sort of understand this, but it would make more sense if we were talking about modern cars for which there would be significant demand for his parts inventory. After all, if he doesn't sell YOU his centerlinks that fit only 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88s, how long will he have to wait until someone else who needs one comes along? He might never sell them. Better to get SOME money out of them than potentially none at all. But it's his stuff. He's already kept the parts for 46 years. No reason he couldn't keep them for another 46. One day, your descendants will buy the centerlinks from his descendants.