Wanted: 1968-1972 Cutlass / 442

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM

I found somewhere that 972 was green buckets but now I've also seen that A51 means strato bucket seats....why are buckets listed twice? Is one just for color? I wish I knew where a good trim tag decoder could be found...
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Yes, the cowl tag has "A51" listed...what option is that?

I'm thinking a dual gate would be cool...I'll be looking into that as an option. To me, I'd rather have a split bench with an armrest OR buckets with a console but not necessarily buckets and no console.

Tilt column would be cool! How tough is that job?
A51 is the code for the bucket seats. If you look further along that line you will see a set of numbers 48 and letters B or BB. That means paint is 'sequoia green' and roof is black vinyl.

Got a pic of the cowl tag?

Your VIN: 3J57K2G106229 breaks down as:
3 = Oldsmobile Division of GM
J = Cutlass Supreme
57 = 2 door hartop coupe
K = 350 4bbl engine
2 = 1972 model year
G = Build division - Framingham MA
106229 = plant sequential build number

The cowl tag will have the build month and week on the lower left side close to the cowl tag rivet. It will have a number/letter combo eg:11 D. The number represents the calendar month, and the letter represents the week of the month. In my eg that would mean 3rd week of Nov.

Based on just the VIN alone, I'm guessing your car was built somewhere between late Oct to early Dec of 71 as a 72 model. That also mean it might not have front disc brakes - just power drums. Will be interesting to find out how close this is.

The chrome SS wheels (14? 15?) are from a later production year - likely 80's - but they sure dress up that car nicely! Be sure to post some engine compt/trunk pics too. I'm drooling waiting for them.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hope this helps

I found somewhere that 972 was green buckets but now I've also seen that A51 means strato bucket seats....why are buckets listed twice? Is one just for color? I wish I knew where a good trim tag decoder could be found...
Ahh, you posted while I was having lunch. To answer your question (best as I can) the 972 code is a specific color to the strato bucket seats. That's how it's deciphered in the trim category. I have run into some cars in the past where the TR color is the same for bench and strato - like the G77 and G78 models. The A51 code on the cowl is from fisher - the folks who put the interior into the car. From my experience they primarily focused on the basic elements of the interior - like what color it would be and what type of seat went in. eg: my car is A52 (black bench) and the TR color is 940 (Black). I have a Cutlass S which could be ordered with A51 seats too. So the cowl tag gives you the true repesentation of what the car was born with. Anyone can change out seats.

A really good source for decoding the cowl and trim is the 72 Chassis Service Manual. (CSM) You can also use the SPECS guide, 72 Assembly Manual (AM) as well as other Olds related ID numbers catalogues.

Don't know if you have these, but here are a couple of links from the Wild About Cars site (which is free to join and use BTW).
CSM: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._Section_0.pdf
AM: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ual_Sect_0.pdf starts on page 0-38
SPECS: (all models and options are listed + pricing) http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ECS_Jan.72.pdf
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
delete

Congrats. I know you were looking for a while. Enjoy. Its avery nice looking car.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM

I meant to post a picture a couple of posts ago and forgot! Here's the cowl tag. And thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

looks like it should have a green vinyl top .... that's how mine was too and I also changed mine to black.
IMG957935-1-1.jpg

Last edited by 79MKII; February 13th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I meant to post a picture a couple of posts ago and forgot! Here's the cowl tag. And thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

looks like it should have a green vinyl top .... that's how mine was too and I also changed mine to black.
Looks like the build date was right where I thought. 11B That's second week of Nov 71.
Yes sir! That cowl tag says it was born in green. Personally I like the black better.
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM

So did the 72's change to disc brakes later in the year? I always assumed it was an option?

I sure like the disc brakes better...I had a brand new conversion kit that I sold after selling my car...now I need it again! As a matter of fact, I sold most all of my spare parts for my '72. At the time I didn't think I'd need them again....
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So did the 72's change to disc brakes later in the year? I always assumed it was an option?

I sure like the disc brakes better...I had a brand new conversion kit that I sold after selling my car...now I need it again! As a matter of fact, I sold most all of my spare parts for my '72. At the time I didn't think I'd need them again....
Actually disc brakes were standard on some (not all) of the 442s as early as 68. Most of them came with drum brakes all around.

Yes, the 72 model year started out with standard feature power drum brakes on all 4 corners. In the early part of 72 (Jan), the production changed to make power disc brakes a standard feature. You will find the differences if you look at the 71 SPECS booklet and compare it to the 72 SPECS. (there were 2 printings of the 72 SPECS - Sept 71 and Jan 72)

Note: the 71/72 VCs got front discs rear drums probably because of their weight?
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM

That's a nice ride that you picked up, and a good price to boot!
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Just my opinion, but it seems like if you want a decent driver that has good solid body and paint, you need to up the ante. (especially if you want a 442 ) I found mine 4 years ago after a 3 year search and piad $15,500.00. Have since rebuilt 455 installed a date code correct Muncie 4 speed manual transmission. Happy with the finished product, overall have just over $20,000 invested. So if you can scrape up a few more thousand you should be able to find a good solid 442 driver out there. Good luck with your search and keep us posted when you purchase your vehicle.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM

The car arrived safely last Sunday and it's really nice. Pretty much as described. There are several differences from my old car that I thought was identical:
- new car has no courtesy lights (under dash, on sail panels, map light, and trunk light (maybe no hood light too). I realize now that this was an option and not standard on all '72 Supremes.
- new car does have disc brakes up front after all. I need to research this a little more to find out if they are original or converted.
- the vinyl top is green as it is supposed to be per trim tag....thought it was black
- it has a factory rear defroster (electrical grid, not blower).
- no antenna in the windshield...I'm guessing replacement glass?
- top post battery terminals...I'm guessing changed by prev owner
- has sport mirrors, mine had chrome on driver's side only
- bucket seat column shift from factory, mine had split bench (I hope to add proper console, column, speedo, etc...)

Here's a quick picture coming off the trailer:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20120226180320.jpg (107.0 KB, 296 views)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM

Ill sell you whats left of my early production 70 442 for 400 bucks. come and get it
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Olds Nut

Great , post more pix when you can.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
Ill sell you whats left of my early production 70 442 for 400 bucks. come and get it
pm sent
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Registered Luser

Nice looking car! Green on green is sharp....
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The car arrived safely last Sunday and it's really nice. Pretty much as described. There are several differences from my old car that I thought was identical:
- new car does have disc brakes up front after all. I need to research this a little more to find out if they are original or converted.
- the vinyl top is green as it is supposed to be per trim tag....thought it was black
- no antenna in the windshield...I'm guessing replacement glass?
- top post battery terminals...I'm guessing changed by prev owner
- bucket seat column shift from factory, mine had split bench (I hope to add proper console, column, speedo, etc...)
First, great looking car! Hope it is all you want it to be and more.

Check the build date of the car on the cowl tag. 72 started production with drums on all 4 corners. Early into the production year though they switched to discs on the front. Probably original.
I thought the vinyl top looked green in the CL link you posted.
Look closer at the windshield. Those lines can disappear really easy. Even if the windshield was replaced, they all should have the wire lines in there.
Top post battery terminals were also standard on most of these cars. I'm not 100% but I think it was only the 455's that came with side posts that year. Mine is a 72 (built in April) and it also has factory discs and top post battery terminals.
Bucket vs A65 seat. Here is yet another perfect example that the car could be ordered with either, and that the D55 option for console had to be ordered separately; it wasn't automatically included with the A51 option.

The rear defog on glass is a nice option as are the sport mirrors
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Looks like the build date was right where I thought. 11B That's second week of Nov 71.
Yes sir! That cowl tag says it was born in green. Personally I like the black better.
That wouldn't be second week of nov '72 would it? I guess they would have been building '73's by then?

I think my old '72 was build in Feb of '72 IIRC.

I noticed that this car has 4 seat belt buckles in the front...thought it was something goofy but have since learned they came with either a 2 buckle or 4 buckle system to utilize the shoulder belts. My first '72 had a little keyhole on the retractable side for the shoulder belt to slip into before going into the buckle so only 1 buckle per person.

Also has a power drivers seat...doesn't work very well...have to learn about that now too.
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM

72 Cutlass S

Project, no motor but have a 700 R transmission still available, i have plenty of pics to email but cant post all them on here i have a zip folder. Body work has been started all thats left is the top, because i took the vinyl top off and the hood because its new and then to primer or paint the car.

Email me at erick02018910@yahoo.com
or call me at 225 933 2928

Asking 2500
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:19 AM

are you still lokking i have a 1968 442
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando Perez
are you still lokking i have a 1968 442
I did find a car but a '68 442 is my dream car. I could always sell my current car for the right deal on another one. What are the details on your car? Thanks
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Cool

Its pretty much ready brand new interior black vynil and suede has a 455 munie 4 speed trans its in primer rite now 0 rust it only needs new eshaust and paint job am askin 10k.. Check my profile pics..
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's a nice ride that you picked up, and a good price to boot!
How much did you pick up that car for? The link is expired. It's exactly like what I'm looking for. Does anybody have something like it? I might have to buy the one in PA, but was hoping I could look at something closer.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Safrick
How much did you pick up that car for? The link is expired. It's exactly like what I'm looking for. Does anybody have something like it? I might have to buy the one in PA, but was hoping I could look at something closer.
I bought in indiana from a car collector i paid 3400 for the car in pretty eought shape then i spent 1800 on the new interior about 1000 in body work and about 1500 on motor trans and labor so im just lookin to brake eben
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Safrick
I think the winning bid was $8100 or $8200 but then I had to have it shipped from Louisiana to Ohio and the trans went the first time I took it out....that was another $1500 or so to have that completely rebuilt. I basically ended up with about $10k in it. I've bought some nice parts since too...correct console and shifter with floor shift column and speedo, kickpanels with speakers, trunk and under hood lights, and lots of other goodies that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

I've seen some really good deals lately....must be because it's so close to Christmas. Keep an eye on the "for sale" thread here plus eBay and Craigslist....there are some good deals out there. Good Luck!
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM

I don't think I ever did post more pictures.....here are a few:

Attached Images
IMG_5256e.jpg (34.9 KB, 194 views)
IMG_5298e.jpg (31.5 KB, 192 views)
IMG_5300e.JPG (66.7 KB, 213 views)
IMG_5303e.JPG (61.7 KB, 189 views)
72 Cutlass Supreme (15).jpg (90.4 KB, 191 views)
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM

I think the winning bid was $8100 or $8200 but then I had to have it shipped from Louisiana to Ohio and the trans went the first time I took it out....that was another $1500 or so to have that completely rebuilt. I basically ended up with about $10k in it. I've bought some nice parts since too...correct console and shifter with floor shift column and speedo, kickpanels with speakers, trunk and under hood lights, and lots of other goodies that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

I've seen some really good deals lately....must be because it's so close to Christmas. Keep an eye on the "for sale" thread here plus eBay and Craigslist....there are some good deals out there. Good Luck!
That's a sweet looking car. I'm obsessively looking!
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Was the right front fender repainted? It looks to be a different shade in this pic. Still one heck of a nice looking CS!
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:36 AM

Congrats!

Last edited by Olds442redberet; December 21st, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: I didn't read where he already found a car
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM

Ah, you had to mention that, didn't you? I never noticed the fender color until I saw that same picture....it seems to match much better in person but it does show up in some pictures. Not sure what happened that caused a repaint, if there was one.
Attached Images
72 Cutlass Supreme (4).jpg (96.3 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by 79MKII; December 21st, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ah, you had to mention that, didn't you? I never noticed the fender color until I saw that same picture....it seems to match much better in person but it does show up in some pictures. Not sure what happened that caused a repaint, if there was one.
I had that happen with a repair on my wife's car. They repainted the roof (don't ask) and the pearl in the clear didn't lay down right - turning the gold into 'bronze'. But only from a certain angle. Could be much the same here. FWIW I just won't look so close anymore - ok? And truth be told, not many people will look at or even notice it. I just have trained my eyes to look for stuff like that. Still think you have a gorgeous ride there! Be proud to show it off.

Did you lose that Grant steering wheel yet? That's about the only thing about the interior I didn't really care for.
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM

I don't like the steering wheel either. The smaller size puts the wheel right in the way of the gauges and I can't see anything. It's gotta go but I haven't found a good replacement. I'm afraid of getting a "sticky" sport wheel and I have been searching high and low for a green standard wheel with no luck so far.

Any suggestions on a wheel?
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
72 Olds CS

wow that looks great i love the green, is that an Olds color ?

Dont be afraid of the sticky sport wheel, when I got mine it was a little sticky. I washed it really good with dawn and hot soapy water and two years and about 3k miles later its still nice w no stickiness, at that rate if it does get sticky again ill just wash it again
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM

I'm not sure exactly what paint was used, but the color is nearly identical to the original color. It's called Sequoia Green Irid. (short for iridium maybe??)

Paint code is 48.

Last edited by 79MKII; December 21st, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Are you looking for OEM style wheel? Are you open to having a stock OEM 72 Cutlass wheel c/w pearl inlay and horn pad restored in your color?
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Are you looking for OEM style wheel? Are you open to having a stock OEM 72 Cutlass wheel c/w pearl inlay and horn pad restored in your color?

I'd be perfectly happy with an OEM style wheel in the original color...I just haven't found one yet. I looked into having a used one restored and color changed but it was way too expensive. Once I get into the $300 - $400 range I'd rather buy a brand new repro sport wheel kit or good used sport wheel. Do you know a reasonable restorer?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I've seen the wood rim sport wheels with 3 spokes to the hub for around 155.00 new. I'll keep an eye peeled for an OEM in the right color. Just an FYI, any type of resto on a wheel is usually expensive. I had the privelege of seeing one that was done for a 1947 Buick that looked very close to the one in this pic: it cost over 700.00 to do but looked and felt amazing.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM

I've seen those wheels on eBay and I might end up going that route if an OEM wheel doesn't show up.

Thanks
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM

1972 Cutlass Supreme sale

I have a 72 Supreme, black with white interior and in good condition, drive it home if you want. I would sell for 13,000. Call Frank 618-523-4636, St. Louis area
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM

I have a 1973 Cutlass Supreme, black with white interior. It is in good shape and I would sell for 13,000. I can send pics on request. I am located in the St. Louis area, you could drive it home. Call Frank 618-523-4636 if interested.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Correction in my previous reply, it is a 1972.

Quick Reply: Wanted: 1968-1972 Cutlass / 442