70-72 Cutlass/442 project

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM

70-72 Cutlass/442 project

Im sure you've heard it a million times and im probly the 100th in line but...looking to buy a 70-72 Cutlass or 442 project car. Willing to pay up to $1500 or i have a 91' Camaro i may be willing to trade if the deal is right (camaro is extremely clean, a far cry from the junk that comes to mind when most people think of your average 3rd gen) trade on that would be valued at $3500

I do preffer fastbacks, im not a big fan of sour cream but will consider Supremes if the deal is right

Located in Indianapolis, hard pressed for transportation, i do have a dolly but no vehicle to pull it (irony is terrible). Although arrangements could be made to pay for gas if it could be delivered.

Let me know, im looking at a 71' Cutlass S that im very very interested in but the guy is starting to give me the runaround and its getting aggrivating so im keeping my options open. Thanks guys
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good luck with your search. 71/72 are pretty much the same car with very small changes in appearance (grilles and tail lights). Most everything else is pretty much the same. For 1500 you're not going to get a very good car. That's the price of some rolling chassis's or a category 6 bucket with no motor. May I suggest you up your ante a little on the buying $$ and get something worth working on?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Good luck with your search. 71/72 are pretty much the same car with very small changes in appearance (grilles and tail lights). Most everything else is pretty much the same. For 1500 you're not going to get a very good car. That's the price of some rolling chassis's or a category 6 bucket with no motor. May I suggest you up your ante a little on the buying $$ and get something worth working on?
Thanks for the input, im getting very familiar with Olds since i started working on my 455 longblock. The 71/72s are what im most interested in, from what i gather the whole doghouse is different from 70s. And hey at least i know the difference between Cutlass S and Cutlass Supreme right? haha, thats the most annoying part of car hunting, but then again it can be fun too because someone may tell you a car is a Supreme and youre not too interested and you see a pic and its actually a fastback S model and the whole situation changes in an instant haha.

As for the price im pretty good with it, it definatly takes some hunting but ive found quite a few great projects for $1200 or so (im not concerned about motors, as previously stated im building a 455 at the moment). Its amazing how these fastback Cutlasses can be picked up so cheap if you can find one when a project Chevelle of the same year and condition would pull $5k or $6k all day long. Not to mention i think the 71/72 Cutlasses look the best of the 4 71-72 A-bodies

PS: those price figures are for my area, which is Indiana/Illinois/Ohio area, lots of great project cars around here, Ohio and Illinois are like gold mines for project cars

Last edited by Vega; September 23rd, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM

Keep a close watch on Craigslist of any cities close enough to drive to. I've found a number of interesting cars advertized there. Right now there's a 1970 F85 post car for sale in a neighboring town. No engine or transmission, he started at $1500 but is down to $1100 now. by the pictures it looks like a good platform to start with. Good Luck with your search! John
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Keep a close watch on Craigslist of any cities close enough to drive to. I've found a number of interesting cars advertized there. Right now there's a 1970 F85 post car for sale in a neighboring town. No engine or transmission, he started at $1500 but is down to $1100 now. by the pictures it looks like a good platform to start with. Good Luck with your search! John
Definatly thanks for the encouragement. Like i say it just takes patience. Im looking at a really awesome 71' right now i just wish the guy would stop being so shady. its a black barn find for $1500 with perfect body/frame, all mechanicals, and a 455 (non original) which was running but probly not anymore. Im really hoping for this but figured id post on here to see if something better came along. Its very difficult trying to get ahold of this guy and get a time set to check it out but if i can manage it it seems like exactly what i want for exactly the right price
Old September 24th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Maker of bad decisions

So, I've been wondering... Why do the 70-72 Cutlaii seem more desirable than the 68-69? I recently bought a '69 project (which I'm already in love with, despite its numerous problems!), and there seems to be a lot more 70-72 out there. Thoughts anyone?
Good luck Vega!
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 80CutlassCalais
So, I've been wondering... Why do the 70-72 Cutlaii seem more desirable than the 68-69? I recently bought a '69 project (which I'm already in love with, despite its numerous problems!), and there seems to be a lot more 70-72 out there. Thoughts anyone?
Good luck Vega!
Honestly i do think the 68s-69s are rarer, which is cool for your project as if the more common year Cutlaii werent rare enough haha. I just preffer the lines and deminsions of the 70-72s. Id be all for a 68 or 69 if i found a good deal on one although it does seem like they go for more when you find them. And btw, the over-abundance of convertible Cutlaii...jeese man...never seen so many convertibles lol. Not so good for a coupe lover

PS: keep your eyes open for me! Terre Haute is in my driving range! hahaha

Last edited by Vega; September 24th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Rook

Good luck Vega!
I am looking for a '70, and the well seems rather dry at the moment, with more '71s and '72s on the market. The grass is always greener, right?

At a swap meet the other week, a fellow with a '68 or '69 said parts were harder to come by than '70 models, perhaps that has some small bearing on your perception the '60s cars are rarer.
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Firebrand
I am looking for a '70, and the well seems rather dry at the moment, with more '71s and '72s on the market. The grass is always greener, right?

At a swap meet the other week, a fellow with a '68 or '69 said parts were harder to come by than '70 models, perhaps that has some small bearing on your perception the '60s cars are rarer.
True, then again maybe theyre just not popular enough to be common yet? haha. As im sure there were similar numbers of Chevelles, Skylarks, GTOs, and Cutlaii built, yet Chevelles and GTOs flood the markets while Cutlasses and Skylarks seem much rarer. Could be that people see them sitting out in their barn and say "eh, nobodys interested, it might as well sit". Either way, while im not as big a fan of 68s/69s, it is cooler that theyre harder to come buy in my oppinion. After all the whole point in being into the off-brand cars is to have the only one on your block, right? haha

PS Firebrand: Keep up the search, cutlasses are few and far between but when you find a deal typically its a real steal (holy Dr. Seuss LOL). Youre close enough to where i can keep tabs on the market if a 70' pops up. What condition/trim are you looking for? Project or restored? Notchback Supreme or fastback S? I'll try to keep an eye out as my search is more for 71/72 so id be willing to pass a 70 on to someone who's search is a little more specific than mine

Last edited by Vega; September 26th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vega
Ohio and Illinois are like gold mines for project cars
Maybe because it's a huge city area by Chicago but let me assure you, it's better to buy one from the South.

#1 they will be alot less $$$, and they will be in better condition overall.
No rust from the salted roads every winter under the car.
Prior to being collector cars, you have to remember these were daily drivers.

My honest opinion , I would highly suggest buying a Cutlass thats at least halfway completed.
If you buy a basket case you're going to spend FAR MORE restoring it these days.

Car market is still in shambles, but the car parts market prices have skyrocketed crazy in the past 5 years.
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Maker of bad decisions

Vega, did anything happen with the shady guy with the '71?

You might try hitting up jensenracing77 in Brazil. He might have some leads. I just bought a frame from him, and he is a really good guy. I can't say enough good things about him.
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Vega, did anything happen with the shady guy with the '71?

You might try hitting up jensenracing77 in Brazil. He might have some leads. I just bought a frame from him, and he is a really good guy. I can't say enough good things about him.
Nah nothin yet, i can give you the link to his craigslist post if you'd like, the car looks sweet from the pic i got but it seems like a nightmare trying to get ahold of this guy and get a time and place set -_-'

Link: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/2520304234.html

And thanks for the suggestion, actually i have talked to him haha. He had a listing on here for a 72' Cutlass that i called him about, but the frame was shot so i passed on it. He was a really cool guy to talk too though, good to know there's a good reliable source for Olds so close to me. I would also recommend him to anyone in the southern Indiana area

Last edited by Vega; September 26th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2577512027.html
Here's a 68'. Wouldnt pay what he's asking, maybe $1000-$800

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2579668495.html
72' Supreme. Been considering this one but $1200 is also little steep for its condition
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Here's one near me in DE. If you are interested I could go look at it for you.
Larry

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/2594813645.html
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Here's one near me in DE. If you are interested I could go look at it for you.
Larry

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/2594813645.html
That actually seems like exactly what im looking for and priced right in my range too. Id be interested in it for sure. Wouldnt want to put you through too much trouble if its out of your way but yeah, thats just what im looking for, nice find
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM

BTW: Just figured out through putting 2 and 2 together haha, this one-

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2579668495.html

Is listed by Scott "oldspackrat", i had no idea until i saw another listing on here and compared phone numbers on a fluke random chance haha, pretty crazy how small the world is Still keeping this one in mind and my go look at it, but im more into the fastbacks so im still keeping my eyes peeled in the meantime. The tip from DE sounds very interesting so for now im going to follow up on that. But anyone else looking for a good 72' Supreme project should check out Scott's listing
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Rook

True, then again maybe theyre just not popular enough to be common yet? haha. As im sure there were similar numbers of Chevelles, Skylarks, GTOs, and Cutlaii built, yet Chevelles and GTOs flood the markets while Cutlasses and Skylarks seem much rarer. Could be that people see them sitting out in their barn and say "eh, nobodys interested, it might as well sit". Either way, while im not as big a fan of 68s/69s, it is cooler that theyre harder to come buy in my oppinion. After all the whole point in being into the off-brand cars is to have the only one on your block, right? haha

PS Firebrand: Keep up the search, cutlasses are few and far between but when you find a deal typically its a real steal (holy Dr. Seuss LOL). Youre close enough to where i can keep tabs on the market if a 70' pops up. What condition/trim are you looking for? Project or restored? Notchback Supreme or fastback S? I'll try to keep an eye out as my search is more for 71/72 so id be willing to pass a 70 on to someone who's search is a little more specific than mine
Thanks Vega, I would definitely go to IL/IN/OH for the right car. I'm looking for a ragtop, 350 ok, 455 better. Air, as many factory extras as possible. Bench seat w/ column shift. Considering a real project car right now that fits most everything I was looking for on the minimum side, close to buying. It is just a lot of project for a newbie without mechanical/body work background. I had F-85 years ago and might consider a fastback coupe again once I get the 'vert rolling. One at a time!
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/2520304234.html this sounds like the one your looking at hahaha 71 cutlass
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM

haha, it is indeed. Thats the same one ive been trying for. I sent a text to the guy tonight, we'll see if anything comes of it
Of course im gonna be ticked if i get another "can you make it here in an hour or two?" text. Thats just aggrivating

Good deal Firebrand, looks like you're looking for about the same thing i am except in a 70' vert. Something that needs work but nothing too terrible where you cant finish it in your own garage

PS: clueless403, being from fort wayne if you have a lead on this or know/are the guy selling it, any help would be gladly appreciated haha. I only ask because ive found quite a few CL adds that end up being from members on this site (i even tracked a Buick motor to a member here, it seems like a tight-knit community haha). Oh and uhh, yeah, the aggrivation would be forgiven hahaha

Last edited by Vega; September 29th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Good luck in your search. I was originally looking for a Supreme, but settled on a fastback which I now love. I kept my search to 200mi radius and saw a lot of BAD cars before I found mine. Like some of the others here, I will advise you to be patient in your search and maybe up the ante. I know you are on a budget, but there ar good and bad projects. I would hate to see you get stuck with something the seller knew was a total loss. Be weary of the "no bondo" claims and take a second pair of eyes with you. Lots of people are giving up on projects now because of the economy, just leave no stone unturned. GL
Just my .02 cents
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Rook

Vega, was going to PM you, then thought you wanted '68 or 69 car. But I remembered wrong. Just saw this one in my pond...probably not what you want, but close by, eh? If it were closer to me, I'd go take a look based on the ad just to see if I'd reconsider my ragtop desire...

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2618667824.html
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM

i have no idea who it is lol, but if i did it would be a done deal already lol
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Cutlass Supremes everywhere...LOL
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM

what what WHAAAT? How'd that slip through my grid-pattern search of internet Cutlaii? lmao. I havent seen that Supreme in my searches yet haha, thanks for the lead Firebrand. It must be because i always used "cutlass" or "442" as my searches and never just looked for "oldsmobile". I gotta head out for the night but i might just look into that later this weekend, thanks again!

csouth: ha! Doesnt it always seem like thats how it works? whenever you want one thing it never shows up. Maybe i should decide i only want a Supreme so the fastbacks start showing up everywhere xD and thanks for the advice. Youre definatly right, patience is the name of the game. People can talk about elbow grease and money but in this hobby the one thing you've got to have the most of is tiiimmee. So far my search has been from St.Louis to cincinatti/dayton and chicago to louisville (kind of a nice box-ish area). Those are pretty much the limits but im willing to look into any leads as long as its a sweet deal and its not in Hawaii LOL
Old October 1st, 2011, 07:09 AM

UPDATE: Had a guy email me yesterday, went to look at his car today. Was a really friendly, helpful guy. Has a 71' Supreme project he's selling. Everything looks good on it. Was more looking for fastbacks but honestly both look amazing in person so im not picky. The roof had some rust holes but he says he has a new roof for it so thats a plus. The biggest selling point is he has a lot of parts for it including new front and rear bumpers and an original fiberglass OAI hood (oh yes, my eyes mustve lit up a little bit when i saw that one haha). Its a good project, im interested, but still keeping my eyes peeled. Still being patient and seeing what comes up but this car is looking pretty promising.

ALSO: On the way, how ironic is life, but i see another project cutlass sitting outside. I wasnt interested in this HOWEVER it does sound like something a certain someone else is interested in...a dark maroon 70' Cutlass convertible with a tan ragtop? Firebrand, i may have a lead for you
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:13 AM

bump
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

UPDATE:a 71' Supreme project he's selling. Everything looks good on it. ......The biggest selling point is he has a lot of parts for it including new front and rear bumpers and an original fiberglass OAI hood
He must have wanted too much money?? An original OAI hood in reasonable shape will easily sell for 3000.00 all day long. New bumpers? 350- 390 each all day long. Yup I'm guessing he wanted more than 5000.00 for the car.
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Im wondering if the hood is real or not. He told me it was but then again by the end of the day i was telling him all kinds of stuff about his own supreme that he didnt even know, the least of which being telling him his car was a 72' and not a 71' like he thought it was (72' style grill, rear tail lights, and vinyl top,and 7a heads. Ive got to assume haha). Do you have any advice on how to spot a real OAI hood versus a reproduction? Im going to email him about making a deal on it, if nothing else i should be able to sell the car and parts and get my money back if i decide to go in a different direction
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Vega,
Real OAI (W25) hoods were composite construction. They have a fibreglass top bonded to a full steel frame. If you want to see what they look like, here are a couple of pics I borrowed from the Thornton site. The way this hood is made is exactly like the GM OAI hoods, only more expensive.

Bottom side. note the steel frame extends from the tongue tip all the way back to the cowl, and you can mount the hood latching system with this one. Almost all the repro hoods do not have steel liners, nor can you bolt in the secondary hood latching system. Also note the functional airbox with the metal screen tac welded in place (keeps little things like bugs and leaves out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442_Hood.jpg (47.5 KB, 129 views)
442_Under_Hood.jpg (52.0 KB, 140 views)
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Thanks Allan. I do remember when i looked at it it was a 2-part hood with the fiberglass hood and a steel frame. Not sure if it had the screen or not. I guess having the frame its either gotta be real or a really high quality reproduction, either way im going to try to jump on it today or tomorrow. The guy says he wants to sell this Supreme quick because he found a 74' Hurst Olds he wants to buy and needs the garage space. Im happy to help him out with his space issue haha. Thanks for the help, i'll get some pics up in the restoration section if this all works out
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Well, my search seems to be at an end. Maybe. I made a deal on this 72' Cutlass Supreme i found locally, its a great solid start, all the body/parts are there, full interior, full drivetrain, cranks but doesnt start although i figure it wouldnt take much to get it running. The guy is also giving me a whole plethera of parts along with it, new front and rear bumpers, new full roof, a couple boxes plus a whole trunk full of odds and ends, i think theres a full dash in there somewhere too. We also made a deal on the original OAI hood he got for it. I checked it, it is a 2-piece hood with the steel frame, all checks out. Im paying $1600 for it all plus $200 on top of that for the hood and he mentioned when he gets his next project he may want an Olds 350 and AC equipmentto put into it, so i told him if he'd do $200 on the hood id let him take the 350 and/or AC equipment if he ever needed it. Works for me, the hood is the key part to any resto, most have to settle for the poor quality reproductions and even those are expensive so i feel great about getting lucky and stumbling onto this one. As far as the motor goes its no big loss, its just a normal 72' Supreme so numbers matching doesnt mean anything to me, personally i preffer a non-numbers matching car because im definatly going to bang on it (thats what the car was built for, it survived 40+ years of abuse, babying it would almost be insulting to the cars integrity haha). Plus i have a 455 im building for it anyway so. The deal makes him happy, makes me really happy, its all good.

As far as the car itself goes im undecided. I like it, its a great start to a project, but i might post it on here and use the money i get from selling it to look for a fastback, or just do a straight up swap for a fastback if someone had one they wanted to trade for a Supreme. Not sure yet, we'll see how it turns out. I took a few pics so you guys can check it out. The OAI hood is not on the car he just had it sitting on the car's original hood
Attached Images
WP_000852.jpg (61.8 KB, 31 views)
WP_000853.jpg (59.8 KB, 32 views)
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Rook

Congrats, Vega, hope the final details go smoothly.

There's nothing wrong with 2 Oldsmobiles. Think a king ever said his harem was big enough?

I look at it like saving your chips for the right hand with some potential horse trading of cars/parts. As long as the cars aren't getting crushed, I don't think a lot of people will squawk.
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Oh no no haha, i have no intention of having 2 of them, i was thinking of either restoring this one or selling it to find a fastback (basically helping out the guy i bought the car off of buy buying it and then making up my loss by selling it and scoring some extra Cutlass parts in the process) but then using the money to find a fastback project, or maybe trading this one for a fastback

haha im not one to keep two myself i understand having one, selling it, buying another, so on and so on but it bugs me when people have 3 of the same year cutlass just because one is a fastback, ones a supreme, and ones a convertible, im like "maaan, there's people out there looking for ratted out projects wishing for the day when they can have just one like this and youre just sitting on three of em'" *shakes head* lol, idk thats just how i see it anyway, but what people do with their money is their business i guess haha