Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

72 Cutlass Supreme 442 Convertible project in N FL $1500

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM

72 Cutlass Supreme 442 Convertible project in N FL $1500

SOLD, mods please delete

Last edited by halfmoontrail; July 6th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

no offense intended but i am afraid that is scrap
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM

Perhaps you did not intend to offend, but offense was taken. I'll ask you to stay out of my for sale threads unless you are a ready and willing buyer.

I've seen worse cars beautifully restored. There is a limited number of these cars still in existence and I believe they should be saved.

Steve
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM

Is this a real 442?
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:57 PM

I don't know. I don't have any documentation, just going by what the car is showing. I've read that in 72 "442" was just a trim package, available even with the 350. That's why I've listed it this way and mentioned the emblems, boxed control arms, dual exhausts.

It was easier before 72 when VIN was definitive.

Last edited by halfmoontrail; June 2nd, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
Perhaps you did not intend to offend, but offense was taken. I'll ask you to stay out of my for sale threads unless you are a ready and willing buyer.

I've seen worse cars beautifully restored. There is a limited number of these cars still in existence and I believe they should be saved.

Steve
sorry i offended you just stating the blatantly obvious
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM

slowdime, forgive me for not immediately realizing that someone with an 83 cutlass with a v6 must be an expert on '72 convertibles.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

at least my quarter panels are still attached.

i paid a lot less than $1500 for my car,and drove it home.

obviously you have a lot of experience gatherring scrap metal

have a nice day lol
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM

What rear end is in it??? Halfmoon, don't let some people get to you. Who knows, the rear end may be worth more than you are asking, or even more than an 83 with a V6.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
What rear end is in it??? Halfmoon, don't let some people get to you. Who knows, the rear end may be worth more than you are asking, or even more than an 83 with a V6.
Bayou, it is a 10-bolt open rear end, pretty sure it is the corporate 10-bolt.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Steve
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM

Let's be honest about this. Depending on the condition of the motor and usable parts, the car may be worth somewhere in the price range of what you are asking. But that is if you treat this as a parts car. As for trying to save the car, sure it would be great to save these cars for the reasons you mention. But this car needs a lot more than just a rear clip and rear frame repair. Aside from fenders, doors and hood that appear to need replacing, I would have to guess that the floors need work too and who knows what else. At that point, you are almost at the point of needing to replace the body and then is the car really what it once was? There comes a point where it just isn't economically feasible to spend the money to save it because the car will never be worth what it would cost to repair it.... correctly. If someone has an emotional attachment to a car like this and money isn't a concern, sure...anything can be fixed. I'm just not sure many people would be willing to spend that kind of money on this car. If it was a 70 W30 conv 4 speed car, you may be getting a different response and a lot more interest. Good luck with it and I hope you find someone who wants to save it. But don't be disappointed if no one has that same interest.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69442C
Let's be honest about this.
i know i am
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If this were a Bugatti or Duesenberg, it would be worth saving. Otherwise it may have some parts on it that bring decent money and then figure how much the rest weighs and take that time the scrap price. There are a lot better cars out there to restore. Maybe 2blu442 will give an idea since he deals in these things.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:08 AM

What is it about this forum that brings all these opinions about what my car is worth? If you aren't interested, please go away...quietly. If I wanted these opinions, I would have done a "what's it worth?" post. Most car forums prohibit unsolicited BS about prices in classifieds.

Don't worry about saving someone from getting ripped off, $1500 is not unrealistic for this car in this condition. Let the regular guy have some access to the hobby, after all. Heaven forbid some guy coming with a $1000 offer, and leaving my place with this car, and maybe a parts car, and maybe a 442 hood, and maybe a console, and maybe a 12-bolt rear...that would upset slowdime, redoldsman, 69442c for what reason?

Or, a tribute/clone to a '72 H/O Pace Car Convertible would be worth the restoration cost.

Talk about honesty, when has anyone ever seen a 70 W30 conv 4 speed in any condition for $1500?

Steve
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:34 AM

What is it about this forum that brings all these opinions about what my car is worth? If you aren't interested, please go away...quietly. If I wanted these opinions, I would have done a "what's it worth?" post. Most car forums prohibit unsolicited BS about prices in classifieds.

Don't worry about saving someone from getting ripped off, $1500 is not unrealistic for this car in this condition. Let the regular guy have some access to the hobby, after all. Heaven forbid some guy coming with a $1000 offer, and leaving my place with this car, and maybe a parts car, and maybe a 442 hood, and maybe a console, and maybe a 12-bolt rear...that would upset slowdime, redoldsman, 69442c for what reason?

Or, a tribute/clone to a '72 H/O Pace Car Convertible would be worth the restoration cost.

Talk about honesty, when has anyone ever seen a 70 W30 conv 4 speed in any condition for $1500?

Steve
Wow, someone's a little sensitive about their car!! I didn't see anything in any of the comments where anyone was trying to be rude but rather tried to point out that car may be too far gone to restore. Some of the people who post here don't always have a lot of knowledge about these cars and the dialogue usually assists those people with the sale of a car, parts, problems or whatever. And most people on this site are usually polite and go out of their way to help others. If you have all of those parts that go with the car you should state that in your ad. If you are willing to take $1000 for everything, also say so. Maybe you'll have better luck with the sale. Most us here are "regular" guys who enjoy the hobby for what it is...a hobby. And most have a feel for the extent of the costs to repair a car like this. Your car is not overly unique, it's not extremely rare and unfortunately, there are better examples that could be had to do as you suggest and the end result would be significantly cheaper in the end. You might do better to sell it as a parts car as you probably won't get many takers who will want to spend the money and time to restore it. When I see a someone who just joined the site with an immediate ad to sell a car that looks like it's been keeping company with the Titanic (opps that was rude of me) I have to assume you are only here to try to move a car that you have had no luck selling through other means. And the attitude in your replies solidifies that feeling. Just saying.

Have a good day!
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by 69442c

i have to assume you are only here to try to move a car that you have had no luck selling through other means. And the attitude in your replies solidifies that feeling. Just saying.

Have a good day!
x2
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:55 AM

restorable '72 Cutlass...

Steve, it's your car and it has a title. You stated up front that it is a project and have included a picture. It is a start on a '72 Cutlass (maybe 442) convertible, argueably one of the most beautiful Oldsmobiles ever built (in my opinion).

Though it would be a challenge for me to build this car, I'm sure many others have the talent to restore this Olds, should they decide to purchase it from you. Too many people spend a lot more money than you are asking on a "restorable" car and then go about cutting away rotted quarters, trunk floors, floor pans, etc and throwing them away just to spend thousands of dollars on new or used sheet metal. Even frames can be repaired...

Please try to ignore the naysayers and their unsolicited opinions. Just because they don't have the time/talent/money/desire to bring this one back doesn't mean someone else won't.

Back to lurking...

Rockettruck...
Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C

Wow, someone's a little sensitive about their car!! I didn't see anything in any of the comments where anyone was trying to be rude but rather tried to point out that car may be too far gone to restore. Some of the people who post here don't always have a lot of knowledge about these cars and the dialogue usually assists those people with the sale of a car, parts, problems or whatever. And most people on this site are usually polite and go out of their way to help others. If you have all of those parts that go with the car you should state that in your ad. If you are willing to take $1000 for everything, also say so. Maybe you'll have better luck with the sale. Most us here are "regular" guys who enjoy the hobby for what it is...a hobby. And most have a feel for the extent of the costs to repair a car like this. Your car is not overly unique, it's not extremely rare and unfortunately, there are better examples that could be had to do as you suggest and the end result would be significantly cheaper in the end. You might do better to sell it as a parts car as you probably won't get many takers who will want to spend the money and time to restore it. When I see a someone who just joined the site with an immediate ad to sell a car that looks like it's been keeping company with the Titanic (opps that was rude of me) I have to assume you are only here to try to move a car that you have had no luck selling through other means. And the attitude in your replies solidifies that feeling. Just saying.

Have a good day!
69442C,

I did not mean to give that impression, and I appreciate your thoughtful posts. I'll admit that I was a little put off when the first reply called my car scrap, and follow-on posts debated the value and whether or not it should be called a parts car.

I have a lot of knowledge of these cars, as you obviously do, and the collection of parts is worth more than the asking price. My personal opinion is that the title is an important factor in whether or not to call something a parts car. It goes without saying that any buyer is free to break up the car, or restore it.

I also understand your initial reaction to a newbie throwing up for sale posts, as we both did upon signing up. However, I'll bet that your motivations were the same as mine...make these parts or cars available to the hobby. For whatever reason, your for sale posts have been spared from the criticism that mine has garnered.

I've not had this car very long, and I've been upfront that it is in poor condition. If it sells, I'll be spending the proceeds here buying used parts from forum members; if it doesn't I'll proudly go the low-buck H/O clone route.

Regards,

Steve
Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

What is it about this forum that brings all these opinions about what my car is worth?
you're asking $1500 for $200 worth of scrap.

nothing on that car isn't available aftermarket or used

a 10 bolt rear out of a 72 cutlass?worthless
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM

A suggestion, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE PRICE HE IS ASKING DON"T BUY IT! The guy is not misrepresenting something, he is posting an item for sale with photos (so you know what you get).
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bayou olds
a suggestion, if you do not like the price he is asking don"t buy it! The guy is not misrepresenting something, he is posting an item for sale with photos (so you know what you get).

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Opinions on the cars value aside this IS getting a bit out of hand. Lets just keep the thread clear for someone who can use the car, or the parts off it.
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by csstrux
opinions on the cars value aside this is getting a bit out of hand. Lets just keep the thread clear for someone who can use the car, or the parts off it.
x2
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Banned

absolutely amazing
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by slowdime
absolutely amazing
...that you don't get it slowdime. This site is intended for a family friendly environment where people who love Oldsmobiles can share that passion with one another. A place where people can come to share information and locate cars and parts to further their hobby. You have been asked to tone it down but cannot resist getting in one last dig... If your not willing to behave in a civil manner your not welcome on this site. John