Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1965 Starfire convertible w/ factory 4spd

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:47 AM

1965 Starfire convertible w/ factory 4spd

In the Spring / Summer of 1965 Ed Shumaker of La Rose, IL ordered then purchased this 1965 Starfire from Althouse Oldsmobile in La Rose, IL

Sometime in the Late 60s Ed loaned his car out to his sister, she overheated the engine and damaged both heads. Ed purchased a 1966 Delta 88 for it’s 425ci engine and installed it into his Starfire with the Starfire exhaust and intake manifolds

Early 1973 Ed gave the car to his sister Bernita

October 1973 the Starfire had it’s last recordeded oil change at the Gulf station in Washburn, Il (94,xxx miles)

Winter 1973 / 1974 Bernita put the car into a ditch to avoid a stalled car in the road on a foggy day, a few minutes later her mom ditched her own car to avoid the accident and hit the drivers rear quarter of the Starfire. Bernita wouldn’t drive the car damaged and couldn’t fix it so the car was parked.

In 1978 The Starfire was sold damaged to Bernita’s husband’s boss John Boroughs of Toluca, IL for $1.00. John repaired the quarter panel and replaced the trunk lid and repainted the whole car. The car was driven in the Toluca, Il parades then was stored under a sheet of clear plastic to “protect” it.

In 1999 the car was reregistered into Sandy Boroughs name (John’s wife) after John had passed away. This year the car was taken out of storage by a family friend and put up for sale on consignment in a used car lot in Henry, IL

June 2008 I purchased the car with just under 98,000 miles on the odometer. On July 4th I met both John and Benita in LaRose, IL they are both wonderful people and were excited to see their old car. They have agreed to look through their photo albums to find early pictures of the Starfire.

I have since purchased a running 1965 Starfire for it’s correct 425ci engine with an appropriate Julian code cast in the block. The parts car also has a wonderbar AM radio, tilt column w/ deluxe woodgrain wheel, rear seat belts and a day / night rear view mirror; all options that didn’t come from the factory on my convertible.

The car is in need of restoration but is a solid car to start with and a very deserving candidate for restoration. I understand possibly only ( 8) Starfire convertibles were made with the factory 4spd. The car runs and drives great, I drove it from Peoria, IL to Dearborn, MI for the OCA national meet (16mpg).
$16,000.00 obo

PICT0212.jpg
PICT0034.jpg
PICT0029-1.jpg
PICT0002.jpg
Tad Petrie
309-256-2908
tad_2670@yahoo.com

Last edited by petritl; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added information
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM

I know I can"t afford it, but the people that can might want to know what you want for it. nice ride
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks csstrx, I added the price as well as some information.

I am planning on driving to car up the Illinois Valley Olds Club's 4th annual Orphan show this coming Sunday in Elwood, IL.

Tad
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM

Interested,let me know what you finally decide to do ...508-335-5118
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by petritl
In the Spring / Summer of 1965 Ed Shumaker of La Rose, IL ordered then purchased this 1965 Starfire from Althouse Oldsmobile in La Rose, IL

...In 1978 The Starfire was sold damaged to Bernita’s husband’s boss John Boroughs of Toluca, IL for $1.00. John repaired the quarter panel and replaced the trunk lid and repainted the whole car. The car was driven in the Toluca, Il parades then was stored under a sheet of clear plastic to “protect” it.

In 1999 the car was reregistered into Sandy Boroughs name (John’s wife) after John had passed away. This year the car was taken out of storage by a family friend and put up for sale on consignment in a used car lot in Henry, IL

June 2008 I purchased the car with just under 98,000 miles on the odometer. On July 4th I met both John and Benita in LaRose, IL they are both wonderful people and were excited to see their old car. They have agreed to look through their photo albums to find early pictures of the Starfire....

Tad Petrie
309-256-2908
tad_2670@yahoo.com
I hope you met Ed and Bernita, as John has apparently passed on. Very cool car. Wish I could afford it. Since I can't, I'll just pick apart logic gaffes in your post.
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I am also very intersested in this car. And if is what is seems woulb pick up the shipping for it and the parts car. Please post a few more pictures of the interior and all away around the body. And let me know the asking price.

Thanks

Pat
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rustyold66
I hope you met Ed and Bernita, as John has apparently passed on. Very cool car. Wish I could afford it. Since I can't, I'll just pick apart logic gaffes in your post.

Ha, I didn't catch that. You are correct I met with Ed and Bernita.

Tad
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I am also very intersested in this car. And if is what is seems woulb pick up the shipping for it and the parts car. Please post a few more pictures of the interior and all away around the body. And let me know the asking price.

Thanks

Pat
Pat, I live in a nice neighborhood and the car is in plain sight of the street. I got busy this weekend and started taking the parts car apart, I removed the engine and transmission. I plan on removing the steering column,mirror,whole dashboard and the antenna. Thats about all the good stuff from it. There isn't much sense in shipping the parts car across country. I don't think the frame on it would hold.

I would be happy to take more pictures for you. BTW the car is currently posted on Ebay. The reserve is a little under the 16k asking price on this post. Do you know anyone around here? I don't have an issue with you having someone come look at the car.

Best Regards,
Tad
309-256-2908

Last edited by petritl; October 6th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM

The eBay sale fell through. Is there any interest here before I relist the car?

Tad
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
"me somebody" site member

Sorry to hear the deal fell through...I had followed that auction with interest, and when I saw the feedback history of the "winner", I had my doubts. Of course sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for deadbeat bidders, but I sure hope you filed a non paying bidder complaint against the guy. Three such strikes and he is out.

Much as I appreciate your car, like many people these days I am not in a position to buy it. I do admire it, however. Best of luck.
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM

A rare car....I saw it on Ebay as well. Some good pictures there and in one, if I remember correctly the frame was pictured. These frames are prone to rot and it should be looked at in detail. If it is solid it would put prospective buyer's minds at ease. If its rotted thru or thin it is a serious problem. I wish you luck as well with the sale.
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM

For anyone interested the car has been relisted on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

Last edited by petritl; November 4th, 2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Didn't sell. Any interest make an offer.

Tad
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM

SOLD!

The car was driven from Central Illinois to it's new home in Tampa without any problems. Not bad for a car that awoke this spring from a ~30 year nap.

Last edited by petritl; November 19th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Hope you got what you wanted for her...I think you marketed her quite honestly.
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Hope you got what you wanted for her...I think you marketed her quite honestly.
Well the car was nearly a break even deal for me, but it is going to a good home. The new owner already owns the white Starfire convertible (4spd conversion) that Duffy's had for sale this year. I believe he intends to restore my old car and keep the white one as a driver.

I hope some margin will come from the left over Starfire parts I intend on listing on ebay. If anyone is interested in the parts I am going to try and have them listed this Sunday evening.

1965 Starfire 425 (March 65 casting) running
1965 Oldsmobile TH400 transmission (Starfire)
Bucket and rear seats
interirior door and rear cards
Vaccum trunk release
Wonderbar AM radio
(5) N093 steel wheels
Woodgrain steering wheel in need of restoration (lots of cracks and seperatiions in plastic portion)
Power qtr antenna
exhaust side outlets

Tad

Last edited by petritl; November 20th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM

Congrats on the sale.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM

fifth day in a row that I have received this same thread...has the car sold???...
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by phantom.10
fifth day in a row that I have received this same thread...
It may be an issue of your "personal settings" on your profile...if yours are at all like mine (and sounds like they are), when you post to a thread, you "subscribe" to it, and further posts in that thread will result in your recieving an E-mail. I think the way it works is if you come back to look at the thread again, you keep getting more E-mails as more people post. If you DON'T come back to look at the thread again, the E-mails will stop.

SO...If you are reading this, you'll probably get another E-mail, haw haw! Seriously, you can change this option in your profile:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...do=editoptions

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; November 22nd, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM

If anyone is interested in the parts I am going to try and have them listed this Sunday evening.

1965 Starfire 425 (March 65 casting) running
1965 Oldsmobile TH400 transmission (Starfire)
Bucket and rear seats
interirior door and rear cards
Vaccum trunk release
Wonderbar AM radio
(5) N093 steel wheels
Woodgrain steering wheel in need of restoration (lots of cracks and seperatiions in plastic portion)
Power qtr antenna
exhaust side outlets

Tad[/quote]

I got tied up this weekend working on the house, I will work on listing the parts this evening but probably won't show up until tomorrow evening.

BTW:
Did you know the N093 spare wheel is painted differently than the other (4), the rear of the spare wheel is painted gray (the same as between the tire beads of all the wheels). The white wall was also mounted to the inside.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Arguing with Ebay over non paying winner of the Convertible. temp boycott.
Parts and pictures listed in parts section

Tad
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Oldsdruid

Tad, my experience is that Olds painted their spare wheels gray front and back. My 64 Starfires are like that, as well as the 1976 Ninety Eight, and my 73 Delta convert spare was gray. The factory installed the spares in the car well after the road wheels were put on. I expect at some time it had that tire mounted blackwall side out and someone painted the front side of the rim black.

I've also noticed that Toronado chrome wheels and Super Stock IV Polycasts are usually painted gray on the backside.