Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 442 W-30 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2019, 09:04 AM

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 442 W-30 Convertible

Not mine

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...smobile-442-4/
Old June 29th, 2019, 03:30 PM

This car is local to me. I believe the owner is the one who listed it on BAT. I have not been able to speak to him directly. I'm pretty sure he lives just a few miles away.
He has since consigned the car with a used car dealer in the area. They recently took it to a local auction
http://www.luckyoldcar.com/uncategor...2-convertible/
It didn't meet reserve. They wouldn't tell me the reserve. They have since listed it on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmo...wAAOSwihldDC8v
Again they won't disclose the reserve. They have also listed on the local CL
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/c...922724778.html
It's listed there for $48k.

I finally went to look at this car to see if it was worth buying. The people are the dealership have a less-than-zero understanding of the car. This car is a lawsuit waiting to happen based on their statements in their advertisements. The ArmorAll on the factory floor mats is a nice touch though.
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:33 PM

"X" in the vin says it all! Suprised it didn't sell, guess only the 1970 W-30 convertibles are worth coin?
Old June 30th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DROLDS707172
"X" in the vin says it all! Suprised it didn't sell, guess only the 1970 W-30 convertibles are worth coin?
1972 W-30s are the best performance buy in the Olds family. They get no love, despite the fact that the VIN makes it trivially easy to prove the car is real. Mechanically and performance-wise they are nearly identical to the 1971 cars. 72 W-30 hardtops struggle to reach $35K at auction. I guess it's the GA heads and black inner fenders. Of course, who knows the thought process of buyers with more money than brains. The top dollar getter is a 1970 W-30 convertible with A/C and every option in the book (pretty much all added during the body-off resto). Arguably that's top dollar for the heaviest, slowest W-30 of the musclecar era. On the other hand, a correct 1969 H/O struggles to reach $75K. Go figure.
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:09 PM

It all comes down to general public perception and opinion. It's always bothered me too that the W31's don't seem to get much attention to value like they should either. Joe we are Olds guys so we see it from a purist point of view. The general public that's caught up in magazine articles is what drives the values unfortunately. IMO anyway
Old July 1st, 2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DROLDS707172
Their ad states in part:
...Original Drive-train 455 V8 (rebuilt) TH-400 Automatic transmission OW Code TransTM Code rear axle 3:42 Gear Ratio...
they also state
...knowing that you will have a 442 W30 matching numbers...
I looked over the car very closely. It is a real W-30. It has a nice clear vin tag. The cowl tag looks original and the codes check out for the color/interior combo of the car. It is a very cool car with lots of nice options. The car is extremely rust free. I estimate all the paint other than the passenger fender, passenger door, and probably the hood is original. It has a very nice hood. The block is numbers matching. The heads are correct year (and probably original but you would have to verify exhaust valve size) as are the exhaust manifolds. The intake is a reproduction. The carb is a model 1973 with an electric choke. The distributor is aftermarket. The air cleaner base is wrong. I'm thinking it's a 1969 base. The air cleaner top is original but riveted where it previously broke. It has a brand new 4 core radiator, but it's incorrect for the application. In addition to the power windows, locks, seat, 4 spoke, and cruise it also has power trunk.

It has a chevy 10 bolt under the car which is correct. Clearly someone tried to find the rearend code as all the dirt and oil was scraped off the passenger side axle tube where the code is usually stamped. It has a light patina of surface rust in that area. I spent a considerable amount of time looking for the code. I could not find it. This is a very rust free car and the codes are nearly always easy to spot. The rear diff cover has been off and someone painted a smiley face on the rear cover. I cannot say definitively whether the rear end is correct. It should have heavy-duty 31 spline axles but I cannot verify that from external inspection. What I can say is that I don't see the code at all. Perhaps I missed it.

I asked the dealer if they verified the rearend is original and said she didn't know. She said she would ask the owner but later stated she did not have an answer. It's possible the rear end is correct but they have made zero attempt to actually document it other than to claim it's correct.

Worse is the transmission situation. I checked the code fully expecting to see a "72 - OW" tag riveted to the passenger side of the transmission case. After verifying the tag my plan was to check the stamping on the driver's side of the case to confirm it is original to the car. I never got that far. I expected it to be correct because the Lucky auction, the CL ad, and ebay auction all claim the car has the correct and original "OW" transmission and that it is numbers matching. I was horrified to see a "73 - AA" tagged turbo 400 transmission in the car. That's a 1973 Cadillac transmission. That's pretty much the antithesis of a W30 transmission.

I asked the saleswoman about the discrepancy. At first she said she didn't understand what I was asking. After clarifying the problem and including pictures of what the tranny tag looks like and where it is located she said she would ask the owner. A day later she replied and said she didn't have an answer but encouraged me to bid on the car anyways!?! She said we could talk about the transmission after the auction. Her response was baffling.

I once again pointed out that they are advertising a number's matching car with correct "OW" code transmission and "TM" code 3.42 posi but the facts don't seem to support their assertions. They have made zero attempt to explain the errors and frankly don't seem interested in correcting their advertising to reflect reality. At the very least they should drop the language of "TM," "OW" and numbers matching. I told her the person who eventually buys the car is going to be furious when his W-30 arrives on the car transport without the correct transmission or rearend. Her response was "thank you."

It annoys me to no end that they are either willfully ignorant or intentionally deceitful.

Nevertheless it's a very cool car.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:18 AM

Wow deceitful indeed.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:22 PM

To used car sales people, it's just another car to sell to make money. They pull the bait and switch all the time, and probably advertised what the owner told them, not having any idea about these vital details themselves. They couldn't care less and won't correct it now, unless they get tired of it sitting around. Thanks to your diligence, word will spread. As someone else said, someone with more money than brains will buy it. Or, someone who just doesn't care and wants it to enjoy it. So many of these cars were rigged over the years, original is getting increasingly rare. I certainly understand the frustration of expecting a correct car, only to be disappointed and the sales staff couldn't care less. What else would we expect from sales staff, honesty???
Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:41 PM

the bigger problem is ….. no body is held accountable for these claims that are untrue ….. there are NO repercussions for not caring about the accuracy of details/claims made by the seller/broker/owner

it happens all to often,
someone locally purchased a north of $50K numbers matching & documented driver quality collector vehicle from a broker 2,000+ miles away (over the phone/internet)
he wanted to improve its condition; 6-months later I saw the block at a local shop - the VIN was a restamp (I didn't know who owned the car at this point)
while the engine was being rebuilt, he asked a friend to rebuild the 4-speed - the VIN was a restamp (at this point I told the owner the engine & transmission were restamps) - he called the broker ….. "that's what we were told"
next he wanted to put correct wheels/tires on the car, I asked what the paperwork showed - he brought it over to show me - surprise, surprise the paperwork was FAKE also

he did find the guy on eBay out of Florida that created the fake document - told him when he made it "for novelty purposes" but wouldn't tell him who he made it for (but would remake it with corrected info at a discounted rate)

so, at what point should he have contacted a lawyer & spent 10s of thousands of dollars putting together a lawsuit across numerous jurisdictions (& a number of years) to obtain a judgement against the defendant with the least money to afford a good defense
"you can't get blood from a turnip"
& the used car brokers/dealers know this
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:39 AM

I think the problem is we are too civilized. A dealer willfully misrepresenting cars should have to move the cars out of his building and then watch it get arsoned.
Old July 5th, 2019, 12:29 PM

I think there's a little misinformation here that I would like to clear up so that it isn't used as reference material in the future.
Originally Posted by doubleUthirty
It has a chevy 10 bolt under the car which is correct.
No, not for a 1972 Cutlass. It should have an 8.5" corporate 10 bolt rear with bolt in axle shafts. From what I recall, monzazz posted that these rears were built from 1971-1972 and used on BOP A-Bodies. My original has a block O on the forward sided of the axle tube areas.

I cannot say definitively whether the rear end is correct. It should have heavy-duty 31 spline axles.
The 71-72 8.5" corporate rears used 28 spline axle shafts. It was the 67-68 O-Type rears with 3.42-up ratios that had 31 spline HD axle shafts.

Last edited by Fun71; July 5th, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 30th, 2019, 08:32 AM

1972w-30

Their ad states in part:

they also state

I looked over the car very closely. It is a real W-30. It has a nice clear vin tag. The cowl tag looks original and the codes check out for the color/interior combo of the car. It is a very cool car with lots of nice options. The car is extremely rust free. I estimate all the paint other than the passenger fender, passenger door, and probably the hood is original. It has a very nice hood. The block is numbers matching. The heads are correct year (and probably original but you would have to verify exhaust valve size) as are the exhaust manifolds. The intake is a reproduction. The carb is a model 1973 with an electric choke. The distributor is aftermarket. The air cleaner base is wrong. I'm thinking it's a 1969 base. The air cleaner top is original but riveted where it previously broke. It has a brand new 4 core radiator, but it's incorrect for the application. In addition to the power windows, locks, seat, 4 spoke, and cruise it also has power trunk.

It has a chevy 10 bolt under the car which is correct. Clearly someone tried to find the rearend code as all the dirt and oil was scraped off the passenger side axle tube where the code is usually stamped. It has a light patina of surface rust in that area. I spent a considerable amount of time looking for the code. I could not find it. This is a very rust free car and the codes are nearly always easy to spot. The rear diff cover has been off and someone painted a smiley face on the rear cover. I cannot say definitively whether the rear end is correct. It should have heavy-duty 31 spline axles but I cannot verify that from external inspection. What I can say is that I don't see the code at all. Perhaps I missed it.

I asked the dealer if they verified the rearend is original and said she didn't know. She said she would ask the owner but later stated she did not have an answer. It's possible the rear end is correct but they have made zero attempt to actually document it other than to claim it's correct.

Worse is the transmission situation. I checked the code fully expecting to see a "72 - OW" tag riveted to the passenger side of the transmission case. After verifying the tag my plan was to check the stamping on the driver's side of the case to confirm it is original to the car. I never got that far. I expected it to be correct because the Lucky auction, the CL ad, and ebay auction all claim the car has the correct and original "OW" transmission and that it is numbers matching. I was horrified to see a "73 - AA" tagged turbo 400 transmission in the car. That's a 1973 Cadillac transmission. That's pretty much the antithesis of a W30 transmission.

I asked the saleswoman about the discrepancy. At first she said she didn't understand what I was asking. After clarifying the problem and including pictures of what the tranny tag looks like and where it is located she said she would ask the owner. A day later she replied and said she didn't have an answer but encouraged me to bid on the car anyways!?! She said we could talk about the transmission after the auction. Her response was baffling.

I once again pointed out that they are advertising a number's matching car with correct "OW" code transmission and "TM" code 3.42 posi but the facts don't seem to support their assertions. They have made zero attempt to explain the errors and frankly don't seem interested in correcting their advertising to reflect reality. At the very least they should drop the language of "TM," "OW" and numbers matching. I told her the person who eventually buys the car is going to be furious when his W-30 arrives on the car transport without the correct transmission or rearend. Her response was "thank you."

It annoys me to no end that they are either willfully ignorant or intentionally deceitful.

Old July 30th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Could someone please place the contact information on this 1972W 30 car If it's stil

Their ad states in part:

they also state

Old July 30th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Could someone please place the contact information on this 72w-30

Their ad states in part:

they also state

Old July 30th, 2019, 09:14 AM

Good God, dude, learn to post.