Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

RARE 1964 Olds Vista Cruiser Custom Series NUMBERS MATCHING AC

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2016, 07:21 AM

RARE 1964 Olds Vista Cruiser Custom Series NUMBERS MATCHING AC

We are relisting the Vista Cruiser thanks to Ebay providing us with one more free listing due to a non-paying bidder. It is DRASTICALLY reduced so I encourage anyone interested to give it some thought. Thanks for your consideration!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-C...m=201644905678
Old August 17th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by helmsleyera11
It is DRASTICALLY reduced...
Not enough.

As you posted in your listing, NADA shows a "Low Retail" of $7,300 and a "High Retail" of $40,000, but the thing that they don't tell you is that they were smoking crack the day they created that entry.

Collector Car Market Review shows the value for an F85 Deluxe wagon with 330 and A/C, in #4 condition (which it is in), as $3,465, which is far more realistic.

You may get lucky, and I hope you do, because it's a cool car, but don't be surprised if there is minimal legitimate interest at that price.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Cool wagon, but.......rusted out floors (from pictures) and paint has been "touched up" with house paint or krylon......not to mention rust on every exterior panel......oh sorry, patina.
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Of course, another "numbers matching" car that was built before Olds even started using VIN derivative stamps that "matched" the VIN.

What's going on in this photo? Are the floor pans that rusted out?

Good luck with the sale, but as noted that's an optimistic price.
Old August 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM

This statement in the auction description is misleading.

"It’s one of 7000 built originally in the top of the line Custom series, making it a rare wagon"

Define "rare."

Of the four versions of the '64 Vista Cruiser (2-seat, 3-seat, Custom 2-seat, and Custom 3-seat), the Custom 3-seat version, which this car is, actually had the highest production of the four versions. Thus, it is the most common version likely to be found today. So, yes, it's rare in the sense that it's a 52 year old wagon, but among '64 Vista Cruisers, it is the least rare.

Production numbers:

2-seat: 1,305
3-seat: 2,089
Custom 2-seat: 3,320
Custom 3-seat: 7,286

If you sum the production of the first three, you get 6,714, so not only did the '64 Vista Cruiser Custom 3-seat wagon have the highest production of any of the four versions, it had a higher production than the other three versions combined.

If you want a rare '64 Vista Cruiser, find a 2-seat non-Custom. It was rare among Vista Cruisers even back in 1964.
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:57 PM

While we're on the subject...what makes a Custom a Custom?
Old August 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
what makes a Custom a Custom?
A darn good question, and I've been looking at the '64 Olds literature to see if I can find out.

The 1964 Olds Wagons booklet makes absolutely no mention of a Custom Vista Cruiser. All mentions are just Vista Cruiser.

Attached is the station wagons specs page from that booklet. No mention of a Custom.

The Dealer Specs Book does show the Custom on both the prices page and the options page (both attached). On the lower right of the options page, in the Accessories Groups table, the Deluxe Steering Wheel is shown as standard in the Custom but an optional extra in the standard models. There are also some differences in available options depending on whether it's the standard or the Custom. For example, option A31, power windows ("window lifts - electric"), was available only on the Custom. If you wanted your Vista Cruiser to have power windows, you had to buy the Custom version.

But I don't see anything that says what comes as standard equipment on a Custom that makes it a Custom. It was probably primarily extra brightwork, perhaps nicer seats, that sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1964 Oldsmobile Wagons-10.jpg (145.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jaunty75; August 17th, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old August 17th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But I don't see anything that says what comes as standard equipment on a Custom that makes it a Custom. It was probably primarily extra brightwork, perhaps nicer seats, that sort of thing.
That's correct. Olds had two trim levels on the F-85 line for a while, the base F-85 and the F-85 Deluxe. In the case of the VC, the "Custom" wsa equivalent to the F-85 Deluxe.

Depending on the year, the higher-level Deluxe cars got additional trim, different upholstery, and some standard equipment that was optional on the lower models. For example, the Deluxe models got the Deluxe steering wheel as standard, dome light switches on the doors as standard, carpeting on the floors instead of rubber mats, added foam padding in the seats, etc.

If you carefully scan the options on the VC page from the SPECs book, you'll see a number of RPOs that show either different prices for Standard and Custom models, or only show availability on Standard models (because it was already included on the Custom models).

For example, look at RPO B30, floor carpet, which is only available on Std models (because the Custom already had it) and also B35 and B36, which were the rubber floor covers from the Std model available on the Custom. B50 and B52 are the additional seat foam from the Custom available on the Std. B80, B84, and B90 are the additional chrome. N30 is the Deluxe steering wheel. Note that N31 has different prices depending on which model you are starting from. Same with Y60 and accessory groups 1 and 2.

Old August 17th, 2016, 08:56 PM

I think what is missed here is it USED to be a rusted out floorboard. It looks to me to be a well done fiberglass replacement that will give the new owner years of almost trouble free water damage. Geez guys....
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:16 PM

Now, if it were a 64 442 in that condition, the price would be right.
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by deaddds
I think what is missed here is it USED to be a rusted out floorboard. It looks to me to be a well done fiberglass replacement that will give the new owner years of almost trouble free water damage. Geez guys....
Seriously?

Sorry, but all I can see in that photo is flapping fragments of rusted original floor pan and something above it. I can't tell if that's fiberglass or the backside of a stolen stop sign. Neither is a "well done" repair and are techniques I used during my young and stupid days in high school in New England. A "well done" repair would see all the rusty metal cut back to solid metal and a proper metal floor pan patch panel welded in with seam sealer on the joints.
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Seriously?
No, he's being sarcastic.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:01 AM

Thanks Eric.
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
No, he's being sarcastic.

- Eric
Those [SARCASM][/SARCASM] HTML tags still aren't working...
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Those [SARCASM][/SARCASM] HTML tags still aren't working...
Gotta talk to IB and the Admins about that.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by deaddds
Thanks Eric.
I think Joe's been away from New York longer than I have.

The sarcasm detector can get a bit rusty.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator

The BS meter is alive well though...