Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Two '70 442 W30 4 spd 'verts

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Two '70 442 W30 4 spd 'verts

Yet both different. Why one with alternator on the right, and one on the left? Also, the red one doesn't have the positive battery cable running along the intake🤔
https://www.cars-on-line.com/2021/ap...DdBVA#oldsJump
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Haven't there been about 150 of those "96 made" four speed convertibles up for sale in the last year???

A/C cars have the alternator on the driver's side to make room for the A/C compressor. Non-A/C cars have the alternator on the passenger side. The black car isn't a W-30, despite the stripes and emblems. The ad doesn't claim that it is. A/C was available on 4spd 442s, not on 4spd W-30s. The red car has a lot of little things, as usual. Incorrect alternator, for example. The red-painted underside isn't doing it for me. At least the red inner fenders appear to be OEM and not repros. Of course it has the Inline-copied "X" on the valve cover.
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Of course it has the Inline-copied "X" on the valve cover.
HAHAHA!!! The best way to put it.
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:58 AM

I hate that freakin' "X", Joe! They say, "every car had this mark", and I've never seen one except on their car. I believe there may have been one on their car, but who knows what it means? A leaky valve cover on the assembly line that was sent back? The last car of the day? A squealing belt? Then people copy it...ugh!
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I hate that freakin' "X", Joe! They say, "every car had this mark", and I've never seen one except on their car. I believe there may have been one on their car, but who knows what it means? A leaky valve cover on the assembly line that was sent back? The last car of the day? A squealing belt? Then people copy it...ugh!
Put that in the same box as Chevelle and W-36 stripes.
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:54 PM

A grease pencil mark means something was checked by a production guy, at least in the plants I'm in. The idea is that the action of the check will be a reminder to check that you did it, so it's something important, that doesn't happen often. We have electronic boxes that will count hits for anything (pokayoke interface boxes) and production actually tried to get us to PI a grease pencil being picked up and put back in its holster. We said no.

Whereas a stamp with initials was an inspector who checked multiple things and didn't build anything.

So, my guess is it's not a specific part, nor an overall quality inspection, but something was done, right at that area, front top of the engine that was for the W cars only (or whatever we think got them) that was important enough to merit a check. Typical things that merit a special check are safety, emission, and regulation items. Don't forget a brake line bracket (safety), hooking up the TCS (emissions), or forget the cowl tag (regulatory.) But, forgetting the spring holding down the OAI top is a W item only, but not critical, so no check.

My guess is it is for the 70 W-30 PCV connection to the the intake manifold, or some other special step only for a W-30 that is for emissions on that part of the engine.

Old April 8th, 2021, 06:16 PM

Koda, Only place I have found it personally is on the 72 W-30 cars. Every pure original 72 W-30 I have seen had the X. I have never found it on anything earlier than that. I have been shown that the X was found on newer unmolested W-30 cars as well. This is an original 72 W-30. I guess we have changed subject of the thread, lol

Old April 8th, 2021, 06:51 PM

That black car is an embarrassment to real W30 4 speed cars.
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70W-32
That black car is an embarrassment to real W30 4 speed cars.
Yeah, but at least the seller isn't claiming that it's real.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Koda, Only place I have found it personally is on the 72 W-30 cars. Every pure original 72 W-30 I have seen had the X. I have never found it on anything earlier than that. I have been shown that the X was found on newer unmolested W-30 cars as well. This is an original 72 W-30. I guess we have changed subject of the thread, lol

Good info. I guess another thing that it could be is a flag of two otherwise identical parts. How do you recognize a W-30 blue 455 hanging on hooks from a normal blue W-30? You can look at part numbers, but that isn't feasible for a production environment, it can have a label taped to it, it can be in a pallet of a certain type of things (which is how we do it, the CONTAINER is labelled) or there could be "a mark." So it could be just a flag for the engine.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Good info. I guess another thing that it could be is a flag of two otherwise identical parts. How do you recognize a W-30 blue 455 hanging on hooks from a normal blue W-30? You can look at part numbers, but that isn't feasible for a production environment, it can have a label taped to it, it can be in a pallet of a certain type of things (which is how we do it, the CONTAINER is labelled) or there could be "a mark." So it could be just a flag for the engine.
If you meant distinguishing a W30 motor from a lesser 455, the aluminum intake would be a big giveaway. Frankly, the assembly line had a much bigger problem distinguishing the various flavors of non-W engines. That's what the tape label on the oil fill tube was for.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:29 AM

If you meant distinguishing a W30 motor from a lesser 455, the aluminum intake would be a big giveaway. Frankly, the assembly line had a much bigger problem distinguishing the various flavors of non-W engines. That's what the tape label on the oil fill tube was for.
I feel it had to be something W-30 related because it is only on these engines. If you look at some of the vintage 1972 magazines, the 72 W-30 is the only one to have the X there also.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:34 AM

That would do it. Hadn't had enough coffee when I wrote that.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:36 AM

I feel it had to be something W-30 related because it is only on these engines. If you look at some of the vintage 1972 magazines, the 72 W-30 is the only one to have the X there also.
Ok, I'll go back to my original point of "it's something done only on the W-30 engine near that area that's important." So, if it's only on W-30 engines, and only on 72 and newer, what changed from 71 to 72 only on the W engine? This really smacks of an emissions change.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Ok, I'll go back to my original point of "it's something done only on the W-30 engine near that area that's important." So, if it's only on W-30 engines, and only on 72 and newer, what changed from 71 to 72 only on the W engine? This really smacks of an emissions change.
Maybe it is to say "this engine gets an aluminum intake manifold" With the X that year in the VIN meaning W-30 and the W-30 being the only one to get the aluminum then may be? We can always speculate but not likely to ever find an answer.
Old April 9th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Maybe it is to say "this engine gets an aluminum intake manifold" With the X that year in the VIN meaning W-30 and the W-30 being the only one to get the aluminum then may be? We can always speculate but not likely to ever find an answer.
What would help narrow it down is when the X got put on. I was thinking Final Assembly, but you just mentioned Powertrain. If we can find a pic of the engines hanging in the meat locker with an X on them, then we know it is internal to the engine.
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:01 AM

Clearly that was a crap attempt on the W30 stripes on the black car, but, all things considered, that black 4 speed vert is a very nice 70-442 vert 4 speed car. And, based on recent multiple auction prices, they are in the right ballpark on the price. Love to see a better one for less these days. Yes, they missed on a few details, but "looks" like a nice car. Hopefully not a bondo bucket
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Administrator

I heard... The "X" is good for 10 extra HP.
Old April 9th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I heard... The "X" is good for 10 extra HP.
I heard it was good for 10 extra points in OCA judging.