Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

olds 76 442 455

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
No. Reading something into my post, that I did not write?

Norm
Uh, that was a retoricle ( sp? ) question. No comment about that there CLUTCH pedal or reverse lockout lever ?
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by DennisG.
Uh,........
Normally used in reply to a question that was answered previously. Not the case here. In the context of this thread, why did you use it?

........ a retoricle ( sp? ) question ........
Rhetorical. The Firefox browser has a built in spell checker, for those of us who need a little help in that area.

Rhetorical question = one that does not need an answer?

In the interests of accurate communication, I respond to what is actually written, not to my perception of the poster's intent. To that end, any question that is asked, deserves the courtesy of my honest answer.

Further, in venues like this, rhetorical questions often inhibit the very communications that are needed to make the system work. You are looking at an example.

........ No comment about that there CLUTCH ........
Are you having trouble with your CAPS LOCK KEY?

........ pedal or reverse lockout lever ?
When we get to it.

Right now, we are dealing with the more “important” parts of your post, so we will be on the same page when we do.

Norm
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM

go away 88

man what are you about 5' 4" with 2" below the waist. that can't even tell if there is a clutch pedal in a car. you are as aggervating as a redneck ford man. what! do you think that you have the only fast car on the block. as for everyone else I appreciate all your help and info and look forward to talking to you more. but i wouldn't let that 88 guy even have an ebay account much less username on a classic car web site. and anyway 88 what kind of #s does your car run I mean i assume you have one with a motor in it!

Normally used in reply to a question that was answered previously. Not the case here. In the context of this thread, why did you use it?

Rhetorical. The Firefox browser has a built in spell checker, for those of us who need a little help in that area.

In the interests of accurate communication, I respond to what is actually written, not to my perception of the poster's intent. To that end, any question that is asked, deserves the courtesy of my honest answer.

Further, in venues like this, rhetorical questions often inhibit the very communications that are needed to make the system work. You are looking at an example.

When we get to it.

Right now, we are dealing with the more “important” parts of your post, so we will be on the same page when we do.

Norm
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tower c
........ 88 what kind of #s does your car run ........

With my 468, this one has been in the mid tens. Last time out with my "drive anywhere" 437, it was in the high elevens.

What is your point?

Norm
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM

When we get to it.

Norm
Wow, you wasted all that space with a long boring drug out post all because I spelled a word wrong. Just trying to avoid the fact that you were wrong. It must be hard to find a helmet to fit that ego.
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM

man what are you about 5' 4" with 2" below the waist. that can't even tell if there is a clutch pedal in a car. you are as aggervating as a redneck ford man. what! do you think that you have the only fast car on the block. as for everyone else I appreciate all your help and info and look forward to talking to you more. but i wouldn't let that 88 guy even have an ebay account much less username on a classic car web site. and anyway 88 what kind of #s does your car run I mean i assume you have one with a motor in it!

No problem tower. Some of us like to help. Others just like to flex their ego.
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM

........ all because I spelled a word wrong ........
Here it is again:

Uh, that was a retoricle ( sp? ) question.
Rhetorical. The Firefox browser has a built in spell checker, for those of us who need a little help in that area ........
If you look closely, you will see a “( ? )” after “retoricle”.

Perfect definition of irony: The post was about accurate communication, and the reply had nothing to do with anything.

Norm
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Thats right, just keep changing the subject and trying to make yourself look good. You would make a good politition or cop. You do not like to be corrected. You are so quick to jump someone and correct them. You can dish it out but you cannot take it. Probably why you can`t hang with the big boys over on ROP. I admit I spelled a word wrong. Whoopity do. Note the counter clockwise rotation of the right index finger. Now waste more time dancing around the fact that you opened your trap and not your eyes.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Nothing to do with your spelling of the word. Everything to do with the “( sp? )” you followed it with.

........ I admit I spelled a word wrong ........
You already said as much when you posted it. Makes your false show of attrition pretty transparent, don't you think?

Here it is again:

........ that was a retoricle ( sp? ) question ........
........ Rhetorical. The Firefox browser has a built in spell checker, for those of us who need a little help in that area ........
“( sp? )” = Two parts = “sp” and “?”.

“sp” = spelling, and “?” = question.

“spelling” + “question” = “Is this spelled correctly?”

Rhetorical ........
A simple answer to a legitimate question.

........Firefox browser has a built in spell checker ........
Along with my source for the correct spelling.

........ for those of us who need a little help in that area ........
And the reason for posting it.

Why have you tried to “spin” a simple statement into a false accusation?

Norm
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Blah blah blah. You sound like a broken record. I`ve made no false accusations or tried to spin anything. It`s very clear who is trying to spin it. I call it like it is and stand by everything I`ve said. You keep bringing up the same ole crap and trying to avoid the fact that you opened your mouth instead of your eyes. I called you out on it and you have done nothing but avoid it in every post you`ve made. If it were a simple mistake it would have been no problem and I would have never said anything.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:09 AM

........ I`ve made no false accusations or tried to spin anything ........
Here it is again:

Nothing to do with your spelling of the word. Everything to do with the “( sp? )” you followed it with ........
And I continued:

“( sp? )” = Two parts = “sp” and “?”.

“sp” = spelling, and “?” = question.

“spelling” + “question” = “Is this spelled correctly?”

A simple answer to a legitimate question ........
I will make this as simple as I know how:

Nothing of the kind: You asked a question, I answered it.

Tell us how, in context, this is not an accusatory statement.

Then tell us why, it is not a classic example of "spin", as practiced by a rank amateur.

Finally, tell us why you continue to avoid discussing your own statements.

Norm
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

I think this is where it started.

.... I put the car on here so i could get an idea of what people thought of it.
Norm gave his opinion.

....the car looks to be the equivalent of a Honda with a "wing" and a "fart pipe"
If you don't agree fine. His posting style has been discussed before, old subject.

Let this one die folks.

Last edited by Oldsguy; March 12th, 2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Here it is again:

And I continued:

I will make this as simple as I know how:

Nothing of the kind: You asked a question, I answered it.

Tell us how, in context, this is not an accusatory statement.

Then tell us why, it is not a classic example of "spin", as practiced by a rank amateur.

Finally, tell us why you continue to avoid discussing your own statements.

Norm
Yes Norm, you got me, you win. Compared to you I AM an amateur at spin. Trying to act like you are so intelligent and smart. I spelled a word wrong. But at least I know what the heck a clutch pedal is. All that just to avoid the fact that don`t know what a clutch pedal or reverse lock out lever is.

(sp?) does not mean I`m asking for yours or anyone elses help on the spelling. It is RHETORICAL just like the original post about you having a bad day.

Now I hope we`ve cleared that part up. I made it simple enough so even you, Norm could understand it.

I am man enough to own up and accept my mistakes. Are you ?

I noticed you don`t post on some of the other Olds boards anymore. You could`nt hang with the big boys on ROP ? Now that is a question.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM

While i agree with oldsguy and we should just let this one die, im far too interested in this argument to share his hopes. Now please note that i know next to nothing about cars so i am in no way offering any opinion, expertise or any other mechanical advice. All im interested in is whether or not Norm is right about the tranny. I know from reading his posts that he knows more about cars than many of us and more than i will ever hope to know, BUT i also know norm has a unique posting style which tends to agitate some people. Usually when people get "Normed"(labeled as such in another post some of you may be fimiliar with) he calls them on everything labelled or described incorrectly and gives his opinion on the subject in his typical Norm fashion. This time, however, there may be a chance he was mistaken about the shifter/tranny being automatic*. This would be the first time I have heard Norm rant about something and be mistaken about it, and i wouldnt want this thread to die until i find out for sure

* Not meaning it was a true "rock crusher" (whatever that is), just him saying it was auto when its manual.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think this is where it started.

Norm gave his opinion.

If you don't agree fine. His posting style has been discussed before, old subject.

Let this one die folks.
Dan. I respect your opinion but please go back and read my posts. That is not where it started. I am familiar with his posting style and the disscussion. I have been lurking around this board as well as other Oldsmobile boards for quite a while. Just because my join date or low post count shows I`m new does`nt mean I have`nt followed or read any of the old posts. Just because I don`t post all the time does`nt mean I don`t know what`s going on or what I`m talking about. I don`t need to post about everything. I pick and choose what I reply to or post about. I do not claim to know everything. So I only post about what I DO know. There is already way too much missimformation out there. I`m not a kid, I`ve been around a long time. 26 years into Oldsmobiles. You guys may accept his posts but I do not have to. He is quick to correct, insult, demean and judge others but cannot accept that himself. I know, I`ve seen his posts on other boards for years and have experianced his attitude personally before on ROP. I have an extreme lack of patiance and tolerance for peoples stupidity myself but I do not use it as an excuse to ridicule in almost every post I make. Arrogance does not earn you respect. Knowledge and respect towards others does.

I may miss spell a word or two here and there. I am not perfect. I am only human and I don`t care what others think. If thats the worst you can think of me then I`m not doing too bad.

I am done. I think I`ve proven my point.

Dennis
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Keep watching Chip. Typicle Norm style, he will have to have the last word.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM

By the way, am I the only one here that sees a clutch pedal and knows what a reverse lock out lever is for ? I would think if one was to go around and correct everyone all the time and claim to have all this knowledge, I would at least know what the heck those are.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Yes Dan,

I believe the horse died, when DennisG replied to the part that I did not write.

I would think if one was to go around and correct everyone all the time and claim to have all this knowledge ........
This one speaks for itself.

And it is an excellent place to let it die.

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; March 13th, 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I can't believe I came here to find info for a 8.9 car. And had to here all this crap about a piece of junk 10 or 11 sec. Car from a arrogant *** that can't see a clutch pedal.
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM

No. Reading something into my post, that I did not write?

Norm

Of course you didn't write it. I wasn't talking to you. I was responding to Towers first post.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
442much......
Your car is a beauty. I've been wanting one of those for a few years now. I recently went to the local J-yard that had one about 1 year ago, and they crushed it. Crushed EVERYTHING actually.

Thank you. First car I every bought (without my dad being there). That was a long time ago.