Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

eBay 70 W-31 discussion threads gone

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:32 AM

eBay 70 W-31 discussion threads gone

Strange behaviour

The original discussion thread is gone.

A thread was started and had a reply in it & now it is gone too.

Why are these threads gone?

This car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301743852771...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You and orange442 have the same question.
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Administrator

You mean this one?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lone-ebay.html
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric, that's the one I saw this am. Do you know the answer to Dave and Orange442s question?
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Administrator

No, I tried to search for the thread with that car and came up with nothing.
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Is it possible another moderator deleted or put it in the background that we can't see?
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Administrator

I did however, find this one. It's for a silver w31.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...eal-clone.html
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM

I would certainly like to know if and why it was deleted. There was very good and sound info provided for anyone wanting to research the potential purchase of this or any other 1970 W-31.

The special order color if Aegean Aqua which would be designated as - - on the cowl tag is a clue to its heritage. However, exact duplicate trim tags and correct reproduction rivets are available for only a few hundred bucks.............

Last edited by Stefano; September 20th, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
I would certainly like to know if and why it was deleted. There was very good and sound info provided for anyone wanting to research the potential purchase of this or any other 1970 W-31.

The special order color if Aegean Aqua which would be designated as - - on the cowl tag is a clue to its heritage. However, exact duplicate trim tags and correct reproduction rivets are available for only a few hundred bucks.............
Totally agree with you Stefano. I posted quite a bit in the first thread about the car. This info should never be deleted so anybody can reference it in the future.
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM

Must be money involved.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:00 AM

answers please

I can think of no reasonable explanation why that thread is no longer visible & I feel that we are all entitled to an answer as to why it is now gone.

If it was deleted who deleted it & why?

If it is still here why is it not readily visible?

This screams censorship to me. Tell me I am wrong & the missing thread is merely a "glitch".
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:11 AM

The mods and/or site owner was contacted by the car owner.

No other plausible explanation.
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:33 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Octania
Must be money involved.
ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:40 PM
Administrator

There would not have been any reason to delete the thread. Its hard to do a search on this site sometimes. If you can give me some additional info on possible titles for the thread or who was the op, I'm sure it could be found.
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:41 PM
Shoveling Snow

Conspiracy ? Grassy Knoll?
Old September 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Runner

Well, just in case someone needed some information from the thread...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...w-31-ebay.html
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:22 PM
Administrator

OK, it was deleted at the request of the OP. The link that Joffroi provided is the whole thread.
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
OK, it was deleted at the request of the OP. The link that Joffroi provided is the whole thread.
That should not even be an option unless there were personal attacks or something worse. This site is all about information and that thread had a lot of information about that car and probably other clone cars in the future and might save someone big $$$ by having a reference as to what is correct or incorrect on a W-31. Censorship will ruin a sight and it's reputation for providing correct info on these rare and often duplicated W cars!
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:17 AM

My 2 cents.

This is total censorship. Very disappointed in moderators to have done so. This should concern all who post here.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM

Can also post stuff like this on Joffroi's site... we started over there a while back and it sort of fizzled out. Not corporately owned, can drag and drop pictures into posts and they automatically resize...

https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/forums/
Old September 22nd, 2015, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
This is total censorship. Very disappointed in moderators to have done so. This should concern all who post here.
Although I was not the moderator on this, how would you feel if you wanted your thread deleted and we refused? It was not our decision to delete it, it was the member who originated the thread.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 08:50 AM

Feelings irrelevant

Although I was not the moderator on this, how would you feel if you wanted your thread deleted and we refused? It was not our decision to delete it, it was the member who originated the thread.
I would never ask for a thread to be deleted so your question is not relevant.

Rule #1 don't put anything on the internet that you will want to take back because once it is online it is out there FOREVER.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:27 AM
Administrator

So true Dave
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:30 AM

Very Pretty car!

The prettiest part might be the toothed side of the washer at the front bumper bracket to frame.

How do you mess THAT up and do so well on the "OK" and "X" and paint dots on the master cylinder and whatnot?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:41 AM

I can understand if the OP wanted his original post deleted, which he could do himself, but to delete the input of the members here on identifying a W31 or a clone, amounts to censorship.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:43 AM

head shaking

The bidding has now surpassed $36,000.00 US dollars. WTF? And the reserve is not even met. How can this be possible for a car with so many things wrong & no documentation?

It must be time to sell my numbers matching W-31.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; September 22nd, 2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:53 AM

How can this be possible for a car with so many things wrong & no documentation?
Ignorant people with more money than brains.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:59 AM

The bidding has now surpassed $36,000.00 US dollars. WTF? And the reserve is not even met.How can this be possible for a car with so many things wrong & no documentation?

It must be time to sell my numbers matching W-31.
The reason for the high bidding is misinformation and lies from the seller and bidders with too much $$$ and a lack of knowledge about these cars. It is a nice car but it is misrepresented and threads like this need to be stickys rather than deleted so if someone wants to do some research then all this information about this car will be readily available instead of being hidden or difficult to find!
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by orange442
The reason for the high bidding is misinformation and lies from the seller and bidders with too much $$$ and a lack of knowledge about these cars. It is a nice car but it is misrepresented and threads like this need to be stickys rather than deleted so if someone wants to do some research then all this information about this car will be readily available instead of being hidden or difficult to find!
Can i ask a reasonable question. Why did this site become the judge? Why is it that when a Oldsmobile goes on ebay automatically it get dissected whether it is real or fake or missing info to satisfy many members on this site. If a guy is thinking about buying it that is one thing. You guys are doing this on a regular basis. Isn't it up to the buyer to decide if it is a legit car as advertised? Why isn't there a definitive guide to all of these special cars to show what was available? Not trying to stir the pot but a guide would help the masses who don't know how to spot what is right or wrong. JMO
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Can i ask a reasonable question. Why did this site become the judge? Why is it that when a Oldsmobile goes on ebay automatically it get dissected whether it is real or fake or missing info to satisfy many members on this site. If a guy is thinking about buying it that is one thing. You guys are doing this on a regular basis. Isn't it up to the buyer to decide if it is a legit car as advertised? Why isn't there a definitive guide to all of these special cars to show what was available? Not trying to stir the pot but a guide would help the masses who don't know how to spot what is right or wrong. JMO
This car was asked about by a Buick guy and he wanted us to check it and let him know what we thought and that is exactly what we did and the thread was deleted. Now, since there is no guide available the information from the many informed and knowledgeable members of this site is the reference guide for people that do not know about these cars. We, as a group, are that "Guide" you speak of and to delete some of that information is either censorship or somebody trying to hide this valuable information from a potential buyer, that is fraud!
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM

Since our Oldsmobiles do not have the documentation readily available like many manufactures we in the community are always trying to help others out with what was available and what could be. Of course over the years a car can be tweaked, an option added or something critical like a W31 balancer removed unknowingly — well at least maybe in the 70s and 80s not sure anyone would do that now but still not everyone knows all about these cars.

But as far as this car goes I must say 36k does not seem "crazy" to me. For those of us in a larger northern city with a high cost of living you'd be hard pressed to get a car to look this good for $35k. But I think it is fair for us to point out it may not be a W31 but I also think its fair to say I personally love this car.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by wr1970
Can i ask a reasonable question. Why did this site become the judge? Why is it that when a Oldsmobile goes on ebay automatically it get dissected whether it is real or fake or missing info to satisfy many members on this site... JMO

knowledgeable helpful members...its a helpful service to comment on correctness or lack thereof...no charge for that

Ill guess the OPs buddy want(s)(ed) the car and having accurate information as to its pedigree out here on the net could detract from future resale....
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:51 PM

I have seen 950 plus point cars that were total fabrications, pulled out of thin air and I have seen driver quality 100% real cars.

We should be able to discuss cars and answer questions about them without censorship. If someone wants one of their own posts removed, I see no issue with that, but to delete a thread when there was IMO, no reason to do so, is censorship.

The discussion regarding heater delete not being available for the 1970 model year was indeed a valid one.

I don't know if this is a real W-31 or not, but I do really like the look of the car and the color combo.

Last edited by Stefano; September 22nd, 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:54 PM

Love the color, one of my favorites, especially with the white interior. Unfortunately a few strange items, The biggest to me is the post body style dash panel. Looks like this came up in the missing thread.

Didn't the Cutlass S have a Rocket escutcheon around the trunk's key cylinder? I believe original Cutlass trunk lid emblems have white painted centers (however, the reproductions are black). The 442 trunk stripe was mentioned prior.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by briane
The 442 trunk stripe was mentioned prior.
Did W31s not have that trunk stripe or no Cutlass'?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:11 PM

I would surmise that whomever restored it as a heater delete may have believed that it the no vent dash was part of the NON-available option.

Last edited by Stefano; September 23rd, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:27 PM

Okay i seen the reply's to my questions. What am getting at as a group you have set yourselves up to determine what is or may not be a real w31 or what ever special olds car in question. Now why don't you guys who are in the know come to a consensus and make the guide on paper then have the mods make a sticky. Gather the info and put it out there for all to see. I will now get off my suggestion a question box and let you guys carry on. Many thanks for not flaming the guy who is not a go to guy on these special cars.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:05 AM

The name on the OCA judging sheet is current or former (he was "current" the last time I was in the OCA) OCA Zone Director so I would think he should know pretty well what this car is and can't really plead ignorance (assuming he's the one selling this car).

Last edited by allyolds68; September 23rd, 2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:05 AM

At this point, and with very limited knowledge and info about the car. All one can respond too is what is or isn't correct.

Hitting all the items on a check list will only point to correctness, not authenticity.

Proving authenticity is a different animal.

I have seen numerous ( as in too many to count ) fake, made up, fraudulent cars score well at the Nationals ( not limited to OLDS ) and some were built by very knowledgeable Judges and/or enthusiasts.

There was even a totally made up W-31 which was featured on the cover of a National prominent magazine and won a coveted award.

Last edited by Stefano; September 23rd, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM

The rules of a forum are not real life - there is no censorship going on, most likely.

We are also not entitled to know the reason for the the decision of a Mod, one of many policing the site voluntarily.

I am confused why the thread was deleted but it is not our place to police the hobby. Yes, some things about the car seem fishy, but I don't think any of us have seen the car in person, and it's the responsibility of the buyer(s) to do their due diligence in making sure their purchase is legit. Best thing to do is keep an eye on it and try to investigate it down the road.

But we certainly don't want this to happen:

Quick Reply: eBay 70 W-31 discussion threads gone