Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

EBay: 1968 Olds Cutlass 'S' 2 door post

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2009, 05:29 AM

EBay: 1968 Olds Cutlass 'S' 2 door post

The wife and I found another car deal with a short window of opportunity to buy. Our car is on ebay right now, but a good, quick offer will take it. Located in Rochester, NY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330342852540

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM

A car like this can't even bring five grand these days? Wow... Times are tougher than I realized...

The bidding went to 4750 the first time around, and I sent the bidder a second chance offer at 5K. No response.

Another bidder begged for pictures and a date and time that he could make a 400 mile trip to see it. I send directions, and get no response.

I relisted the car with a buy it now or best offer. I am getting offers of 3200 to 4400.

A guy with zero feedback wants to know if I will sell the car to a Europen. Huh????

On Craigslist a guy offered 1500 and called the car "rough".

Is my car that repulsive???

Last edited by tclaemont; July 15th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I am having the same problem.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

Maybe its the green interior??
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Gents, I think the blame can rest squarely on the current state of the economy. I hate to hear what you guys are going through trying to part ways with your '68s but it certainly makes it easier on me as I continue negotiating with my parents to take over the '68 "S" left behind by my great aunt when she passed.

Harry, your car is just stunning. I've sat and looked at the pictures attached to your auction and marveled at the attention to detail. Nicely done!
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM

I agree with Tungsten, guys. When the market was hot, 442s were still somewhat tough to get top $ for. Now that the average guy isn't really in the position to buy collector cars at the moment, the middle of the road cars (in collectability--I'm NOT knocking Oldsmobiles--I obviously have one and spent a lot of money to restore it) have taken a big hit.

Hell, based on the auctions I've been watching, even the top dollar cars have dropped as well, in spite of the announcers and auction houses protesting that "THINGS ARE GREAT!!!!!"

If you can, hold on to them and ride it out and enjoy them. It's better than giving the car away.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Also worth mentioning, banks simply aren't in the mood to loan money right now either. A friend with an excellent credit score was turned down by Bank of America when he tried to get a loan to purchase a 5-year old Mustang!

So unless a person has the spare $5,000 (or $35,000 as is the case with Harry442's beautiful restoration job) in liquid funds... they likely won't be able pull it off via traditional financing.

I suspect that the individual who is shopping for a car like Harry's is probably going to have sufficient funds of their own laying in wait, but may be holding on to those funds just to see if the economy pulls of it the present death spiral.

It's definitely a buyer's market right now, provided the buyer has cash in hand.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I agree it is a buyers market but in my opinion allot of sellers (especially e-bay) aren't that desperate, at least not yet.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I hate to think what would happen to "classic" car prices if gas prices skyrocketed again.

BTW, the silver Cutlass is a beauty. I don't think it is your car, it is just the state of the economy like everyone mentioned.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM

I just got an offer of 2000 from a guy with a feedback history of bidding on cars and not paying or contacting.

Makes me wonder... if you arent going to pay, you might just as well use "Buy it now"!