Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Check this ebay car

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Check this ebay car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...em350025723471

Not mine. Nice car that would be better with a BBO.

Don
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
dar83501

he kinda....uglified it.

Old February 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

I tend to agree with the sentiment about the chevy engine in the car, just as I would if someone put an Olds 455 in a classic Nomad. Just doesn't seem right. And I really don't like the 18" Boyd wheels, the car definitely needs more rubber from the rim to the ground. I do like the color though and the workmanship to even pay attention to things such as the 502 emblems on the fenders, not familiar with chevy engines so don't know if that is from some stock chevy or if the emblems were custom made. When I viewed it the bid was up to about 21k with 14 bids. A full blown custom like with with the obvious money in it should get more. Just goes to show, throwing money at something may not neccessarily (sp) make is better. I must admit though, it is nicer than I could do so who am I to critisize it? Hmmmm, well I guess I can reserve the right to do that.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Probably knows nothign else but Ford and Chevy motors. Probably doesn't even know Olds motors exsist, or thinks Olds motors are garbage. But we all know better.

I went to Advanced Auto Parts and the manager (female) knows her stuff, really knows her stuff. Until I said 455. She got really confused and said you mean a 454 right. I told her that Olds, Pontaic, and Buick had 455 motors back in the late 60's up to the mid 70's. She couldn't understand why there were different GM motors.

She then goes on to say that the 307 I had in the Delta before the swap and the 305 were the same exact motor, but bored out a bit. I had to educate her that the 307 was a totally different motor and no Chevy parts will bolt to it except for Alternators, Disturbtor caps, etc. Also the fact that all SBOs are the same externally from 68 to 90

She builds muscle cars in her spare time. Chevy muscle cars. All she knows is Chevy

Last edited by Redog; February 26th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Holy Crap! That thing looks like a Tiajuana hearse.....
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Except for the chebby engine & the wheels & tires, it isn't that bad. It would much better as a stock restoration, though. The '62 wasn't a biad looking Olds wagon, just not as good as the '61. Bids haven't changed since Oldsguy's post this morning
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Originally Posted by 98sforever
Except for the chebby engine & the wheels & tires, it isn't that bad. It would much better as a stock restoration, though. The '62 wasn't a biad looking Olds wagon, just not as good as the '61. Bids haven't changed since Oldsguy's post this morning

What I mean by that, is that the wheel/tire combination along with the tinted rear windows give the car a certain appearance at first glance.

No offense to anyone intended.

Jeff
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Starfire61
I'd be embarassed to tell people what I've spent.... they'd think I'm a fool....

Chuck
Amen.
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Wow, Chuck, sorry, I didn't realize the car offended anyone.

I just thought it was a cool old custom when I posted. Guess I do get offended myself when I see certain cars (& trucks) molested.

I was thinking 455 when I said BBO. But a Hot dual quad 394 would have been better!

I don't see the point of eliminating the vent windows either. It's a custom car thing. I'm surprised they didn't shave the door handles. And I hate tinted windows. Shoot I have a hard enough time seeing behind me with original mirrors without tinted windows.

Alright, I'll quit knocking the car. I still think it's kind'a cool. Hopefully it was a Fiesta wagon.

Don
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Starfire61
....Regarding the engine, a hopped-up 394 would have made it really special. Dual-quad & tri-power manifolds for the 394 appear on Ebay once in awhile, so the parts are out there. Obviously, it would be far more expensive to build a 394 than a Chebby or a 455, & then you'd have the issue of running your hot 394 through a Slim-Jim.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
Yes I agree about the 394, and for the money spent the builder could have invested in improvements on the transmission or made a TH400 fit.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
However, some of that $85K (!!!) could have easily been re-allocated to an Olds drivetrain. For instance, notice that the vent windows are gone on the front doors....why bother? You're definitely looking at custom glass & channels- any guesses what that cost?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
The builder may like the smooth appearance better although vent windows are definitely cool, with A/C they would not be necessary. Look at the kick panels with the speaker grill pattern. It looks like custom work there as well.
Oldsguy, take a close look at the photos..... I'm sure you could install power window switches that sit straighter than these, & would you cut up a Starfire console to install a plastic cupholder right out of the J. C. Whitney catalog? I doubt it!
Yes I could, and would.
No I wouldn't.
One other thing occurred to me after seeing this Ebay listing. How many of you have display signs for your Olds that actually brag about HOW MUCH MONEY you spent on the car? Heck, I'd be embarassed to tell people what I've spent.... they'd think I'm a fool....
I have seen this before, especially with professional sellers. I think the idea is proclaiming that a lot of money was spent will allow more money to be asked for the sale. I don't fall for it but many people probably do. Remember, many people driving very nice cars know nothing about them and only car about owning them, if they can afford it and want it then they buy it.

Chuck
note: I don't know how to seperate someonen's quotes from my responses like many of you can. Sorry for those lines......

Last edited by Oldsguy; February 27th, 2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
........ separate someone's quotes ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Start it with [quote] and end it with "/" added to the same code. [/ quote] but without the space.

Without the space, it should look like:
and end it with "/" added to the same code.
Use the "quote" button at the lower right of this post, to see the actual code I used.

A little practice with "cut and paste" and you can you can easily edit a full page in a few seconds. If you type as slow as I do, your replies will probably take a bit longer.

Norm
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM

The color is nice. However, it isn't big enough. It would have been better if he used a 71-76 Custom Cruiser.
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

[QUOTE=88 coupe;26901]https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Start it with
and end it with "/" added to the same code. [/ quote] but without the space.
Ok I think I have it

Without the space, it should look like:

Use the "quote" button at the lower right of this post, to see the actual code I used.
Is this working?

A little practice with "cut and paste" and you can you can easily edit a full page in a few seconds. If you type as slow as I do, your replies will probably take a bit longer.

Norm
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM

To all you '62 guys.. Why did the station wagons use different quarter panels than regular '62 88 98 cars? Towards the rear of the quarter panel, it kind of looks like '61 quarter panels. Plus the tail lights on wagons looked like Pontiac housings .I never understood this