Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'77 Delta 88 Pace Car in SC (not mine)

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2017, 07:24 PM

'77 Delta 88 Pace Car in SC (not mine)

Found this on Craigslist. Looks pretty clean overall.
https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6068607880.html
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 65Delta
Found this on Craigslist. Looks pretty clean overall.
https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6068607880.html
Wow, that looks like a lot of car for $4000. I don't know the values of the pace cars, but even a clean "regular" Delta 88 seems hard to find for this price. Very Nice!

Old May 7th, 2017, 12:18 PM

The more I look, seems too good to be true. If it's legit, somebody is getting a good deal!
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Always room for one more

This car has been for sale for a long time. Last I saw it he wanted 6500. Debating whether or not I should call, I really like these cars.
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:49 PM

My 77 Pace Car is the only Oldsmobile I currently own.

I am a huge fan of these first-year B-bodies of course - still old enough to be an "old car" (has barrel fuses, for example, and most of it is still Standard fasteners) but since the frame ran thru 1996 (Impala SS) there are a lot of development/performance parts available. Most whale body Caprice 9C1 gear (shocks, springs, body bushings etc.) is a direct fit.

$4k is 4x what I paid the original owner of mine 10 years ago - so values are marching upward! Act now! There was one that sold at one of the big auctions recently for $12k.

This one has crank windows and manual locks (which I dislike) but that interior looks minty. I don't see any cracks in the dashpad either. Rear Defog and Cruise but no Trip Odo (77 Trip Odometers are hard to find).

There may be some story to tell re: the front bumper - its not supposed to have a white horizontal stripe running the entire width of black rubber impact strip . The white stripe is standard for other Delta 88s but Pace Cars got a blacked out bumper (at least that is what I have been told).

The covers for the screws that hold the interior door pull straps are supposed to be a faux stichted red leather - this one appears to have the later burled wood variety.

Its a little weird to talk about it Not Being a Clone because there is absolutely no money in cloning one of these - it should have W44 on the trim tag, however. Sometimes one of the tag rivets is obscuring the second "4" in W44.

I didn't see the mileage figure.
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
...since the frame ran thru 1996 (Impala SS) there are a lot of development/performance parts available. Most whale body Caprice 9C1 gear (shocks, springs, body bushings etc.) is a direct fit....
I never knew those parts would fit these Deltas. Thanks for the info. I've always had a soft spot for these cars. In 1978, when I was 10 years old, my Grandfather bought a brand new Delta 88 (traded in his '73 Cutlass Supreme). Unfortunately, he died a short time later and my brother inherited the car with only 3,000 miles on it. He kept it for many years and then it went to my Uncle. I eventually ended up with it but it needed a lot of work by then and I never got it on the road. Nobody else in the family wanted it so I sold it for $300 (early 1990's I think). Now I really wish I had it back! If I can expect to find a car this clean for $4000, I think a Delta 88 might be my next car.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Not to go _on_ BUT I double-checked, mine has original blacked out bumper rub strips fore and aft, this one has (probably) replacements with white stripe across.

Pretty sure the rear bumper filler is supposed to be (mostly) black (not totally Argent as shown) - the way the decals avoid the filler panel as applied seems Wrong. There doesn't seem to be enough Argent showing on the QP as viewed from the side. Mine is missing the original filler panels so I can't tell for sure right now.

All of those could be just unfortunate layouts at the paint shop re a "rare" car with little enthusiast support...OR I could just be talking out of my a**. Also, I'm unclear re the individual variations on each custom Fisher-applied paint scheme.

"When was it reprinted, and where did the decals come from?"

I guess -I- could ask the guy if I cared so much right? But I def don't need another one. The ad says he's selling for a friend.

Numerous Tales lay within I'm sure.
Old May 13th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Sharp car at a reasonable price. Amazed at the time how the Eighty-Eight and Cutlass in 1977 were similar in exterior size, but the interior dimensions were so dissimilar. Was the aluminum hood unique to the Pace Car, or was it on all the Eighty-Eight models?

Also like the 1978-80 Holiday Eighty-Eight model with the standard bucket seats/console.
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM

I emailed the Guy and ask why the sudden price drop, he said price was lowered due to recent hail damage...
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:08 PM

I know this post is old, but just wondered if anyone knew what happened to this car? Yeah it's been 9 months....just wonder if it made another round at sales? It's close enough I could at least have a look !