Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

75 Custom Cruiser Not Mine

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2019, 02:20 PM

75 Custom Cruiser Not Mine

Hi Olds Lovers,
My family has owned this old beauty since it was new in 1975. It has 159,000 miles on it. It's in pretty good shape, but it's not a perfect show car either. The large V8 runs fine, but needs a new head gasket (which I have). Transmission, brakes, shocks, new complete muffler system, new battery are all good. Exterior was repainted in 1990, otherwise, vinyl wood sides, bumpers and trim are all original. The interior is original and almost like new. There is a break along the middle seam in the vinyl of the driver's seat. Carpets are original, faded, and worn in the drivers area. Car has lots of features and all but the clock work. All power windows work, rear gate and window work, power driver and passenger seats work. New white wall tires. There is rust in a number of places, but it was never serious enough to prevent a Maine Vehicle Inspection sticker. The car has always been garaged and well cared for.

My request to you is guidance on a fair price range for the car, and a request to pass on this information to anyone who may be interested. I can be reached at leightoncooney@gmail.com or (207) 782-1181 or my cell (207) 653-7454 (voice or text). Thank you so much for your consideration and assistance.

Old September 11th, 2019, 08:24 PM

In its current condition, I'd say it's worth around $4,000. If it needs a new head gasket, it's not really driveable, is it? That means that whoever buys it probably has to have it shipped any distance rather than hop in it and drive it a few hundred miles home, right?

Also, if the car has been in your family since new, why do you say it's "not mine?" It may not be yours personally, but if you have knowledge of the car because it was owned by your father or brother or whatever, close-enough. The point is, you presumably have knowledge of the car's history that someone that passes something along he sees on craigslist or ebay, for example, would not.

You might consider going over to stationwagonforums.com, registering, and posting the car for sale there. Those guys live, eat, and breathe station wagons.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 11th, 2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
In its current condition, I'd say it's worth around $4,000. If it needs a new head gasket, it's not really driveable, is it? That means that whoever buys it probably has to have it shipped any distance rather than hop in it and drive it a few hundred miles home, right?

Also, if the car has been in your family since new, why do you say it's "not mine?" It may not be yours personally, but if you have knowledge of the car because it was owned by your father or brother or whatever, close-enough. The point is, you presumably have knowledge of the car's history that someone that passes something along....
I am a member of the Delaware Valley Oldsmobile Chapter and this was sent to our president who passed it along as read, and I did the same here. Not Mine means not mine... The car is in Maine, I am in NJ. No other links to me, family or friends. I thought it to be a neat car however it is impossible to put a real value on a car without seeing in person. I did respond to the seller with my thoughts since he asked, among those were that the new owner should figure on a engine rebuild and a simple head gasket could mean a cracked head or block. One should not simply pull a head and slap a new gasket in there and expect to be on their merry way. The new owner can expect some trans issues at this point, rot/rust is always worse than it appears. The rear bumper looks like toast. As for value 4000 would be a price I feel someone would pay. I told him if it were mine I would ask 9500 and see what happens. One must start somewhere. Real value is what someone paid at time of sale.
Old September 12th, 2019, 04:51 AM

I guess it's best to start high and go low. $4000 for a rusted Olds Custom Cruiser that doesn't run seems high though.