Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'72 Ninety-Eight (75th Anniversary "Tiffany Edition)

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM

'72 Ninety-Eight (75th Anniversary "Tiffany Edition)

68K Original Miles, 4-Door Hardtop, Special "Tiffany Gold Metallic Paint" with 'Covert Biege' Vinyl Top & Beige/Lt Gold interior, Loaded w/ Options; Factory AC, P/S, P/W, P Seat, Tilt, Cruise, "Nite Watch", Cornering Lamps, power trunk release, etc. etc. Have all original documentation, owners manual, warranty cards from new for everything from tires to the radio etc. Original Owners manual and complete "packet" from glove box. I bought this car over 18 Months ago but now have found one even nicer and I just have way too many other cars to take care of! I believe I'm the 3rd Owner, Have original bill of Sale and other paperwork from the first owner. Car sold new in Central Missouri to a local dealer actually still in business. Original dealer emblem still on trunk/decklid! Recent Oil, Lube & Filter Change, new heater core, radiator flush, etc. etc. Car runs and drives excellent and does not use any oil. Have maintenance records and receipts. These scarce cars are becoming harder and harder to find in decent shape, especially with documented history. Looking to get this rare car to a "GOOD Oldsmobile Home." I'm asking $7,200 O.B.O. (Can help deliver car too.) Please ask here or PM me for more details and pictures; I'll TRY posting some here.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07069.jpg (81.6 KB, 161 views)
DSC07070.jpg (96.5 KB, 156 views)
DSC07071.jpg (69.1 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by NorTown Olds; September 3rd, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM

Thumbs up Just a Bump...Still needs a good home!

Hi All,
Car is still For Sale; really a nice example; all original; still runs EXCELLENT and starts right up everytime. Price is negotiable; getting it to a good new owner is important... That trunk lid as you see in the pics is the worst part; it was parked under a car port by the elderly owners the last few years and it faded the paint on that part that stuck out. Car is solid. Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Registered Luser

That is a very sweet car, and I love the color. Do you have more pics to post?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A beautiful example of the big land yachts. Not too often that you see the 4 door LS. Plenty of 2 doors, but IMO it just looks much longer and more elegant with the 4 doors.

May I suggest adding your location instead of just 'midwest' so potential buyers know where you are? Is it safe to think Missouri since that was mentioned as the dealer location?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
A beautiful example of the big land yachts. Not too often that you see the 4 door LS. Plenty of 2 doors, but IMO it just looks much longer and more elegant with the 4 doors.

May I suggest adding your location instead of just 'midwest' so potential buyers know where you are? Is it safe to think Missouri since that was mentioned as the dealer location?
Hey Allen, thanks for sending me this link. That looks like a really nice Tiffany 98. It's actually a Regency, not an LS. 72 was the first year of the Regency and all of the Tiffany Edition models were Regency's...only sedans though. The Regency cope wasn't born until '74. This car needs the right home and unfortunately it ca't be mine. 2 is more than enough for me...for now at least! Maybe when we get a house and I build my garage-majal!!

Good luck with the sale. Please see that it goes to a really good home!
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Registered Luser

I'd really like to see more pics of this full figured beauty! Under hood and interior especially. That would make a perfect DD.....
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I'd really like to see more pics of this full figured beauty! Under hood and interior especially. That would make a perfect DD.....
THANKS! It IS a true "Beautiful Brute!" I love these; It would make a perfect DD; BUT these are so rare that I just can't bring myself to do that; I use it in nice weather on weekends and to hit cruise nights in the summer or take trips etc. This IS the special Olds "75th Anniversary Tribute" car; it was indeed the debut year for the "Regency" name and trim in the Flagship Olds Ninety-Eights. Brochures at the time said "only 5,000" of these special beauties would be made; well in actuality only about 2.400 were made; enough maybe for one at each Olds' Dealer?? These are very rare today and hard to find in good shape and w/ the documentation. Even at Olds National Meets you never see these special cars. I've started a "Registry" of them in fact, I record VINs, Colors and Options informally just to TRY and guess how many might remain.

Only Paint Color these came in was Code "85" A special "Tiffany Gold" available Mid-Year Only and NOT listed in any paint data dealers put out in '72 that I can find.... ONLY real options were what color interior and what color Vinyl Top. (Black or Covert Beige were the only choices; although someone told me you could get White...but I haven't been able to confirm that and I've never seen anything besides the two above. Interior color Choices were the same; limited to just 2 colors and this has the very Regal looking Black Interior and the interior is MINT! back seat was hardly ever used.)

I have the car Stored near Kansas City -- I'm Active Duty Military and they keep moving me around the "MidWest" so sorry for my confusing "Location"....someone wisely asked me to specify. once these giant snow storms pass I can have a friend get it out of storage and get some more pics for you. OR; PM me and we can arrange for you to come look at her.

Under the hood is not detailed, but is in nice shape to be sure, mechanically it runs excellent and starts easily every time! This car runs like a clock! I love driving it; gets thumbs up on the road a lot!

Look through this thread; lots of knowlegeable guys have posted factoids about these rare beauties; including original full page ads out of magazines etc.

If anyone PMs me, I can see IF I have some old "hard copy" photos I can snail mail you in the mean time too.

Thanks; really want it to go to a good home!
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM

THANKS for the kind words!

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey Allen, thanks for sending me this link. That looks like a really nice Tiffany 98. It's actually a Regency, not an LS. 72 was the first year of the Regency and all of the Tiffany Edition models were Regency's...only sedans though. The Regency cope wasn't born until '74. This car needs the right home and unfortunately it ca't be mine. 2 is more than enough for me...for now at least! Maybe when we get a house and I build my garage-majal!!

Good luck with the sale. Please see that it goes to a really good home!
-- You Bet! THANKS John! yeah, I've turned away the young kids who all want to buy it, "SLAM IT" and put 22" Rims on her...too nice and too rare to see that done to her.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
-- You Bet! THANKS John! yeah, I've turned away the young kids who all want to buy it, "SLAM IT" and put 22" Rims on her...too nice and too rare to see that done to her.
Definitely turn those people down..that is a one year only car in great shape and there aren't many left...it deserves to be well kept. Good luck !
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
It IS a true "Beautiful Brute!" I love these; It would make a perfect DD
I agree about the DD for a guy like me who would enjoy the heck out of driving it properly and doing regular maintenance. But it would be a summer only car. You don't know how many opportunities I've had to pass by just because of storage/space issues. Some day I'll have as much space as John and start my own 98 herd. Seems like EVERYONE has an A body. Not so many of us really appreciate B bodies.
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:48 AM

Ha, you guys probably think I have tons of room just because I have 2 Ninety Eights. We live in a townhouse with a 2 car garage that BARELY fits both of them. It's so small that I actually still rent a storage unit for the red 98 just because you can't even move around with both of them in there. The black one is at home because I made myself a promise that once I owned my own home, that car would never be anywhere but at home with me. We're hoping to move into a house in the next year or two which will have to have a bigger garage. Once we have some property, I can finally move ahead with my garage-majal plans!

PS. These are C bodies, I believe the Eighty Eight's are B bodies, right?
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
These are C bodies, I believe the Eighty Eight's are B bodies, right?
Right.

B-bodies were the standard wheelbase (depending on model year), and C-bodies were extended by a few inches.

I believe that only Olds and Buick offered C-bodies, which were the top-of-the-line fullsize cars (Chev. didn't, and I don't think Poncho did either).

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM

I remember crawling up in the back window of those land yachts as a young boy and taking a nap while dad drove the family around. Cops used to wave and never pulled us over!
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why would they pull you over - you weren't doing anything illegal.

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM

One of you retired Texans need this car. How great would it be to cruise around in?
How did the sticker price compare to other Olds or Caddys of the time?
I believe the market for these cars will increase as the baby-boomers get older.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why would they pull you over - you weren't doing anything illegal.
Quite true. It was even more common to ride around unrestrained in the back of the station wagon and pick up truck beds too. Ha! Try that today and see what happens. Only things that get away with riding unrestrained in cars today is your pet. (Want to bet they design pet restraint seats before too long?) Heck there's more chance of being injured from flying debris that people leave piled up in their cars.....
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Only things that get away with riding unrestrained in cars today is your pet. (Want to bet they design pet restraint seats before too long?)
Sorry, Allan, you're a bit late...

"Under New Jersey Statute 4:22-18, unrestrained pets in vehicles is an act of animal cruelty, and drivers who don’t secure their pooch in a pet seat belt will be subject to fines, ranging from $250 to $1,000 and as much as six months in jail.

'That’s for each offense,' Col. Frank Rizzo, police superintendent for the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Animal Cruelty, said Wednesday, according to The Bergen Record. 'So, if you have more than one animal loose in your car, just do the math…'”

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Great leapin horny toads! And I was just kidding.....
2 weeks ago some moron who drops off their kid at the day care down the street was letting the kid sit in her lap and steer the car. There's no cure for stupid, is there?
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

2 weeks ago some moron who drops off their kid at the day care down the street was letting the kid sit in her lap and steer the car. There's no cure for stupid, is there?
Maybe the kid is a better driver.

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up

"C-Bodies" indeed! Great! Thanks for the comments fellas! NO worries, rest assured this car will only be sold/"ADOPTED" to someone who KNOWS what this car is, APPRECIATES it and will give it a good home! I'll be driving it more for sure once the salt clears up off the roads and all!
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Senior Moment Member

Got room?

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up

WOW! VERY NICE CAD!! 65??
Originally Posted by z11375ss
Got room?

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Moment Member

Correct! I sold this in September. Looking for a replacement at the moment. It was my Father in Law's car that I found for him. He cruised it for a couple of years and then asked me to sell it for him. I cruised it all last summer while it was for sale. He touched his garage wall whilst parking it one time. I thought, "Well the old man is getting old!" He's 83. Then I tried parking it in the same spot in his garage. Took me three tries. He's a much better driver than I gave him credit for. Talk about Das Boot! I loved it though. That car darn near drove itself. My wife said, "This is one I think you should keep." No room. Goodbye. Now I miss it enough to want another. Oh well.
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Thumbs up

WOW! Yeah, that thing looked AWESOME!! GOOD Luck finding another!!