Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'70 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2018, 05:51 PM

'70 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe

FOR SALE: 1970 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe (no HVAC)

I've owned this car since 2000. I'm selling because I now have too many cars, got married, and we just had our first. I believe in driving cars, not letting them sit, and I simply have no time to spend with the car any more. If things were different, or I had a bigger garage, I wouldn't be selling this one!

Color: Matador Red / Porcelain White
Mileage: ~116,000 (orig. miles)
Engine: 455 cid Rocket V-8
Power: 365 HP (~275 HP SAE net)
Torque: 506 lb-ft
Weight: ~5000 lb
Suspension: adjustable rear air shocks,
newer front springs
Power Options: windows, front bench,
steering, front disc brakes
Modifications: 3rd brake lamp, 10 disc
CD changer, component speakers, audio
amplifier

This 1970 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight was purchased with 87.1k original miles, from a private seller in Ohio, in March of 2000. It was daily driven in spring, summer, and fall months for about 3 years, increasing the mileage to 112k. During that time the car never saw snow, and was garaged during colder months. In Mid-2003, the car was put into storage until 2009. After this time, the car has been taken out occasionally in early summer and fall, always stored in its own garage when not being driven. Mileage is currently just shy of 116k miles.

According to Hagerty Classic Insurance’s 1-6 car condition scale, this Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight fits the description for “No. 3 Very Good”: “Completely operable original or ‘older restoration’ showing wear; also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored car with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts.” (not an official appraisal)

This Olds is a reliable driver, and hasn’t required a lot of maintenance. New front springs were installed in 2002, and Monroe Max Air adjustable shocks were installed in 2012, along with a new set of white wall tires. Power accessories: windows, brakes, steering, bench seat adjust are in working order. Other than a few paint chips, there are no noticeable dings or rust on the car.

The bad: a collision suffered in 2000 resulted in a replaced hood, front header, bumper, and left fender. All repairs and body work were professionally done by Lane & Kenny Body Shop in Columbus, OH. The front clip and passenger door were repainted, so the condition in these areas is better compared to the original paint in rear, which is fair. Heat was disabled by the previous owner, and currently AC is not operable (compressor clutch needs replaced, but worked when the clutch failed). Rear brakes were disabled due to a line leak (since the car came with front discs, braking power is adequate, EDIT: SEE DETAILS BELOW). Fuel gauge stopped functioning recently - probably the sending unit.

The 455 Rocket V-8 used 10.25:1 compression, making 365 hp and 506 lb-ft of torque. Throttle response from a rolling 15 mph is really impressive. The engine and transmission are basically in good running order - carburetor is original and could probably use a rebuild. The #1 spark plug fouls about every 1000 miles. An extra plug is swapped in while the fouled one gets cleaned. Usually done about once per year, about a 15 minute job.

Interior quality is very good. Dash, doors, and ceiling are near perfect condition. Original vinyl seats are all close to original condition, except for a rip in the driver seat - this is patched with black tape and not extremely noticeable. Power windows and bench are in working order.

The interior is all stock except for the addition of a 10-disc CD changer and 6.5” speakers in the kick panels. Needs grills, but the sound quality is impressive! Push a button to access the CD changer interface, which is hidden behind a pop-up door for the ashtray.

The Holiday Coupe was a premium trim level Olds. Only 21,111 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupes were made for 1970, each selling for a base of $4,656. Only the Toronado and 98 Luxury Sedans sold for higher prices. After options, this car sold for $5061.18 sticker.

The original window sticker, warranty sheet and key plugs are included with the car. Original key plugs are rare, as they were often discarded - it shows the original owner cared enough to keep these with the car.

Included items are all period correct and many are original to the car. GM keys are the originals, and in 1970 Ohio’s plate was scarlet and grey, so acquired a pair of these! The Olds sales brochure is a fun piece, and of course the original manual, accessories catalog, window sticker, warranty, and information book that came with the car.

Location of the car is on east side of Columbus, Ohio 43209. Car is in storage, available for viewing or test drive after the last snow thaws.
Additional pictures are available upon request. These will be taken and sent in spring when warmer weather arrives, if car is still for sale.

Asking $6800 USD
Not willing to ship, but you may send a trailer for pick-up.

Contact me through email address listed in my profile for more information.
Thanks for your interest!

Aaron Searles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front2.jpg (177.3 KB, 24 views)
rear1.jpg (72.3 KB, 24 views)
frontside1.jpg (214.8 KB, 25 views)
rearquarter1.jpg (171.4 KB, 25 views)
side2.jpg (227.8 KB, 24 views)
side1.jpg (163.0 KB, 24 views)
frontseat.jpg (763.4 KB, 24 views)
rearseat.jpg (916.5 KB, 25 views)
enginebay.jpg (2.31 MB, 27 views)
rearwedding.jpg (169.1 KB, 26 views)
manuals.jpg (164.2 KB, 25 views)
winsticker.jpg (1.94 MB, 22 views)
keys.jpg (195.2 KB, 23 views)
dashstereo.jpg (152.7 KB, 19 views)
kickpanel.jpg (238.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 70Olds98; January 8th, 2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added requested info
Old January 8th, 2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by 70Olds98
Rear brakes were disabled due to a line leak (since the car came with front discs, braking power is adequate).
Aaron, please explain. You mean the rear brakes are currently non-operational?

Other than that the car looks to be in excellent condition. GLWS!
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:13 AM

Hi, Olds64.

Good question about the rear brakes. I understand brakes are the most important system on the car. The front discs do most of the work on this car; the rear drums do considerably less. Maybe 85-90% Front vs. 10-15% Rear? This design makes sense, as the car is quite front heavy.

One of the rear brake lines started leaking. Rather than bend new lines, I trimmed the main line in an accessible location (near the rear) and threaded a bolt on the end, then brazed the connection with solder. This was a temporary fix until someone could re-cut/flare the line and patch in a replacement.

I have the car registered as historical and don't do much real day-to-day driving. I also take it slow (60-65 mph) on freeways. It stops reasonably well from legal speeds*. I don't believe it is dangerous to drive, however buyers should know the rears are disabled, and that it should be repaired properly at some point.

(* I don't drive it much above 70 mph, and I don't live near hills, as these situations are where having the rears offer more advantage.)

Hope this clears up things. I may tackle the repair in spring, but the reason I'm selling is that don't have the time that this car deserves - which isn't that much!