Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

70 442

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2021, 06:13 AM

70 442

On B A T. 8 hrs left. 35000 is bid now. F Y I.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 06:34 AM

1970 Oldsmobile 442 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending July 22 (Lot #51,705) | Bring a Trailer
Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Already being discussed in this thread.

Of course, even $35K hasn't reached reserve yet. Note that on BaT, every auction has a reserve unless the ad specifically says "No Reserve Auction" at the top of the page.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:38 AM
Banned

Why oh why does every freaking car have a wing now??? I am so over the towel rack.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Why oh why does every freaking car have a wing now??? I am so over the towel rack.
Because that's all they see in Lemmings Muscle Machines.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 08:44 AM
Banned

The towel rack breaks up the body lines. If it came on the car I get it. I saw One. One 442 with a wing from the factory as a kid. I will try and find the picture. Dark blue Steel Hood white interior car. I want to say it was a four speed. Original everything car. I think it was from Wyoming or South Dakota. That was around and 81 or so. Now every freaking 442 has the hood and towel rack. To each his own I know. Plenty love them.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 09:57 AM

If it's popular, that means people like it.

BTW - It's called the "W-35" option but the pejorative makes your viewpoint clear.

Curmudgeon?

Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:35 PM
Banned

Nope. Just never chased acceptance or trends. Not my gig. Millions of people love a mustang. Does that mean anything to me? ZERO. Go do you. All good here. Just an opinion.

PS: Don't get me wrong. If and when a build another A body Olds it will have the hood. Best looking hood ever on a muscle car. Especially from the driver's seat.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 22nd, 2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pettrix
Curmudgeon?
Only to you brother. Only to you.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:41 PM
Banned

BTW - It's called the "W-35" option
Oh and Thank You So Much for cluing me in. I had no idea. I thought it was called the Ram Air Six Barrel Oldsmobile hood. Now I know better. Thank you sir.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 02:34 PM

PS: Don't get me wrong. If and when a build another A body Olds it will have the hood. Best looking hood ever on a muscle car. Especially from the driver's seat.
I also love the "bird grabber" W-25 hood. It is the best looking hood of any 64-72 muscle car hoods that were produced.
At a car show, there was two 442's (one with and one without the W-25 hood), guess which car got the most praise and looks?
Nobody cared whether that W-25 hood was original factory installed or added later. 99.99% of the time nobody cares (except for the .01% purist).

As far as the W-35 goes. I like it either way. With or without the wing. Depending on the angle, sometimes the wing looks better on a convertible than it does on the hardtop but I prefer the wing vs no wing. The C7 & C8 Corvette's come with an optional wing which has resemblance throwbacks to the Olds W-35 wing. Of course the Corvette wings actually are wind tunnel tested and functional while the W-35 wing was merely aesthetic but either way, they look cool.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 02:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Of course the Corvette wings actually are wind tunnel tested and functional while the W-35 wing was merely aesthetic but either way, they look cool.
From the June 1969 issue of Motor Trend:

Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
From the June 1969 issue of Motor Trend:
Wow, that is very interesting. I'm surprised they actually tested it. Was it wind tunnel or actual roadway test?

Being tested on a 1969 Hurst Olds, I assume the same would apply for a 70-72 Olds?

The 2019 Corvette ZR1 wing actually made 1,000 lbs of downforce. But that wing is gaudy and very big. Not my thing

The more subtle wing (shown below) produced 500 lbs of downforce (160mph)

Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 69 H/O wing is exactly the same part number as the one used on the 1970-71 cars. The back window is the same, and the trunk lid profile is virtually identical, so I would assume the H/O data is applicable to the later cars. I don't know if it was wind tunnel or road testing, but given the times I would suspect the latter. Of course the problem with increased downflow is the accompanying drag.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:11 PM

Oh and Thank You So Much for cluing me in. I had no idea. I thought it was called the Ram Air Six Barrel Oldsmobile hood. Now I know better. Thank you sir.
The crap you post about what is wrong with everyone else's cars is getting old so much so you single handenly make this site unusable with your stupid comments. A true car guy finds something to like about all cars not just bitch and complain about "towel racks" or whatever. Take a step back and knock off the bitching.
Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say then STFU!

And Joe I have had over a dozen cars in your so called "Lemmings Muscle Machines" most of which were super low mile survivors or cars I restored and only one of them had a wing added to it during restoration and my 69 Hurst Olds came that way. Do we all take liberties when we restore a car? Well yes we do because it is a personal thing some people might like it and others might not but it doesn't give anyone license to trash it. BTW the car on the cover of your "Lemmings Muscle Machines" does NOT have a wing on it.

ALL members on this site think about this:
Oldsmobile is a dead brand with a dying ownership and if this group thinks by trashing others cars you are going to attract people to help continue this brand you are sorely mistaken. I am disgusted with what I see on here at times and this is just another example. I try to do positive things to promote the dead brand which is part of the reason I developed the relationship with Hemmings, maybe if this group focused on how to promote the cars instead of showing how smart you aren't about what is wrong or what you don't like, we might attract some younger people to pick up where we will leave off when we are as dead as the brand.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:20 PM

^^^^^^
Fred, I can’t add to this, well done.
Rocket On!
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442Fred
And Joe I have had over a dozen cars in your so called "Lemmings Muscle Machines" most of which were super low mile survivors or cars I restored and only one of them had a wing added to it during restoration and my 69 Hurst Olds came that way. Do we all take liberties when we restore a car? Well yes we do because it is a personal thing some people might like it and others might not but it doesn't give anyone license to trash it. BTW the car on the cover of your "Lemmings Muscle Machines" does NOT have a wing on it.
Fred, that wasn't a dig on Hemmings or the car on the cover, just a play on words. That was the first image that I found on Google Images that fit the joke. It was not intended to single out any particular car.

You have to admit that it is very difficult these days to find any 1970-72 car (and even 1969s now) that DON'T have repro hood, wing, and red inner fenders, or any 68 without incorrect W36 stripes (along with the obligatory inner fenders and wing). It's as bad as the sea of LS-powered Camaros at most car shows. What ever happened to Dare to be Different? Monotony is boring.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:31 PM
Running On Empty

The crap you post about what is wrong with everyone else's cars is getting old so much so you single handenly make this site unusable with your stupid comments. A true car guy finds something to like about all cars not just bitch and complain about "towel racks" or whatever. Take a step back and knock off the bitching.
Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say then STFU!

Oldsmobile is a dead brand with a dying ownership and if this group thinks by trashing others cars you are going to attract people to help continue this brand you are sorely mistaken. I am disgusted with what I see on here at times and this is just another example. I try to do positive things to promote the dead brand which is part of the reason I developed the relationship with Hemmings, maybe if this group focused on how to promote the cars instead of showing how smart you aren't about what is wrong or what you don't like, we might attract some younger people to pick up where we will leave off when we are as dead as the brand.

Well said. The knit picking B.S. is often unwarranted. Personally, regardless of the modifications, I like the modifications most owners perform on their cars. And, if someone had anything derogatory to say about a car I modified I could give a flying rat's *** because it isn't their car.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

To get back on topic, the car in question sold for $42K.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:49 PM

Very well said.

It's so difficult to get younger (20's - 30's) people into Oldsmobile but usually a nice H/O or 442 will get them visually interested. I remember once a younger kid walked up and saw the W-35 wing and said, wow, they put wings/spoilers on cars 50 years ago? He found it cool that a 50 year old car had visual options that new cars have today.

Now you have 455's making 500-600+ HP due to aftermarket parts, this also peaks their interest, especially since modern muscle cars are making crazy HP levels today.So to have a 50+ year old engine design being able to push 500-600 HP (naturally aspirated) is pretty impressive to younger people.

So all in all, if someone wants to add a W-25 or W-35 parts to their Olds, let them.Like Fred said, the brand is dead and has been dead since 2004. The die-hard Olds fans who grew up are getting older and won't be around forever, none of us will. So the way to keep the Olds torch alive 10-20-30 years from now is the youth have to get into the cars. Otherwise it will all go away one day. So let people modify and change their Olds on how they wish. Tasteful modifications are the way to go and stay true to the brand. Even radical changes like LS swaps are still OK in my book as it's still and Olds body.

I love them all. A 100 point numbers matching Olds or a pro touring Olds with overdrive and EFI. I appreciate them all. I lean towards the modified ones as that's my thing but I appreciate them all.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:52 PM

Fred, that wasn't a dig on Hemmings or the car on the cover, just a play on words. That was the first image that I found on Google Images that fit the joke. It was not intended to single out any particular car.

You have to admit that it is very difficult these days to find any 1970-72 car (and even 1969s now) that DON'T have repro hood, wing, and red inner fenders, or any 68 without incorrect W36 stripes (along with the obligatory inner fenders and wing). It's as bad as the sea of LS-powered Camaros at most car shows. What ever happened to Dare to be Different? Monotony is boring.
Joe
I get that and have seen far too many bad cars myself but there has to be another way to get our point across. I don't know what that would be but I have always tried to lead by example, I happen to like what the factory did so most of my cars are pretty close to factory correct and a then a few others not so much. It is a personal choice what some people do to their cars we may not like them like incorrect W36 stripes on a 68 or reproduction hoods and red inner fenders I just look the other way unless I am asked to help.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:53 PM
Banned

Funny stuff right there. Yeah I am mister negative right? Tell me to shut the f up. Check yourself.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 22nd, 2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:30 PM
Banned

What douche comment. Glad you spent all that time to post such a brilliant reply. I post all negative? Check my posts. I am a positive guy always. Three things. Mustangs Lame Stripes. Fake whatever. I don't have to like what you do. You don't have to like what I do. Beautiful thing about this here internet. You get butthurt because I think that the overuse of the wing is overplayed? That's on you. Sorry to touch such a nerve. But not really. You want to make an issue. Your choice. Peace Love and Oldsmobiles. Oldsmobiles that actually get driven.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:58 AM

Well said!!!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 04:35 AM
Bfg

Them there is fighten words!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 08:00 AM

Wow, I didnt mean to start all that fighting between you guys, just wanted to let you know about an interesting car. Sorry , wont do it again.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 09:31 AM

I get why some people have some serious disgust with the overuse of the W-25 hood, red inner fenders, strips, wings, whatever. Kinda like every Camaro is a Z/28, there are more GTO clones than originals, lots of automotive “crime”.

Occasionally people ask me why I don’t put the hood or wing on my car (they ignore the OAI and under the bumper scoops) I tell them it’s pretty depressing when you have to leave a car stock to stand out in the crowd.

Not that my comments are in any way relevant to the original topic.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:25 PM
Bfg

I would like to show up with a straight six banger under the hood and the W-25 scoops and see the response I get.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 02:07 PM

To get back on topic, the car in question sold for $42K.
Without personally seeing the car, based off great pics, that seems to me the buyer got a very nice 442 for a very very fair price…awesome..
Old July 25th, 2021, 12:00 PM

Fred - On behalf of many members in this community, thanks for stating some obvious, but needed perspective. Most members love Oldsmobile's and greatly appreciate the information shared by its members. Some members know incredible amounts of information regarding Olds machines and it helps on many levels to part with their knowledge and support others. Too often some come with a chip on their shoulder and share their arrogant and often wise azz attitude and expect others to embrace their poor behaviors. This board should be a community of respect and even fellowship about our love for all things Oldsmobile, learn from each other and share stories from back in the day when the Oldsmobile brand was arguably the #1 car brand in America. I realize that asking for common courtesy is a big ask these days, but we can hope.

Last edited by capstoneclub; July 25th, 2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old July 25th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Fred - On behalf of many members on this community, thanks for stating some obvious, but needed perspective. Most members love Oldsmobile's and greatly appreciate the information shared by its members. Some members know incredible amounts of information regarding Olds machines and it helps on many levels to part with their knowledge and support others. Too often some come with a chip on their shoulder and wish share their arrogant and often wise azz attitude and expect others to embrace their poor behaviors. This board should be a community of respect and even fellowship about our love for all things Oldsmobile, learn from each other and share stories from back in the day when the Oldsmobile brand was arguably the #1 car brand in America. I realize that asking for common courtesy is a big ask for these days, but we can hope.
Maybe because it's Sunday but the first thing that came to mind after reading your post was "AMEN". Well said capstoneclub and Fred.

As a side note, I have two cars without ram air hoods...a 1970 442 with the standard steel hood and Y73 hood stripe option, and a 1972 442 with the standard steel hood with factory striping, and have no desire to change either hood. I like non-ram air hood cars just as much because they are unique in a sea of ram air hood cars.

Last edited by Ctls442; July 25th, 2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old July 25th, 2021, 02:11 PM

Look! A ‘70 without “the hood,” now what?

Old July 25th, 2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Fred - On behalf of many members in this community, thanks for stating some obvious, but needed perspective. Most members love Oldsmobile's and greatly appreciate the information shared by its members. Some members know incredible amounts of information regarding Olds machines and it helps on many levels to part with their knowledge and support others. Too often some come with a chip on their shoulder and wish share their arrogant and often wise azz attitude and expect others to embrace their poor behaviors. This board should be a community of respect and even fellowship about our love for all things Oldsmobile, learn from each other and share stories from back in the day when the Oldsmobile brand was arguably the #1 car brand in America. I realize that asking for common courtesy is a big ask these days, but we can hope.
Very well thought out comments, I was on ROP starting 20 years ago, and even though the posts were spirited (at the least) the guys were respectful of others, sometimes I can’t say the same about CO..
just my .02
Old July 25th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Smile

I want to join the discussion because this comment is me.
So I have a 68 cutlass S convertible that I bought because it reminded me of my first car, a 69 GTO convertible back in 1985. The cutlass S was a 6 cylinder/2 speed auto that I first converted to a 455/2004R. It was fun but I never was able to fully enjoy the car because I'm not an expert at tuning an old car. It also made my garage stink after use and slowly dribbled fluids onto my garage floor. It drove and stopped exactly like it did in 1968.
My grand plan is to pass on (someday) an old car to each of my three kids. Now how do I set these cars up so they can enjoy them? I started with converting the cutlass to a connect and cruise LS3/4L65E and doing power tour with my daughter. She did a bunch of the driving and loves the car. I also went from liking the car to loving it. It fires immediately, throttle response is instant, it doesn't stink, and doesn't leak. I also upgraded the steering and suspension. I love this car and put lots of miles on it. No 442 stripe or wing! Mission accomplished!
My younger daughter is ready for the same power tour quality time so I recently bought another car I've always wanted, wait for it.....a 68 camaro convertable (sorry folks but I like them all). It's got the original 327 2speed auto it was born with, drum brakes, and it stinks up my garage. Next step is an LS3, brakes, steering, and suspension to get it ready for her to drive and fall in love with.
I'm thinking a Chevelle or GTO for my son which will wrap it up.
Just my story....I hope my plan works. If not, my old cars will be up for sale when I'm no longer able to take care of them and you folks can convert them back to original.
Old July 25th, 2021, 10:31 PM

Thanks Fred.
Well said. You could not be more correct. Long overdue.
See you next March during spring training.