Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1978 Toronado XS

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Shoveling Snow

There was a light camel beige XSR built also!
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
So shoot me dead.

The value of 1 for production of the 77 XSR comes from Setting the Pace. I didn't make that one up out of thin air like I did the story about the number possibly being a half dozen.

It's in the story at the top of this page where it is mentioned that there is a possibility that "several more" were produced.

http://toronado.org/public/FAQs/GenII/xsr.htm

So forgive me for citing non-authoritative sources like the Toronado Owners Association and the author of the most authoritative book in existence on Oldsmobile history.
Geez Jaunty, I can not believe you got so worked up. I was just being nice in showing a photo of the two XSRs together. Photos that I have and thought some of you would like to see since this topic is about the Toronado XS right? Yes, I know all about the figures in all the history books showing 1 car being made. Every single auto history book on this topic says the same thing. I had my doubts because I have a couple of press photos of both the red and silver cars taken in the summer of 76 when the cars were new, however, no photos of them ever existed together until just a few years ago.

Last edited by Herbie; February 28th, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
There was a light camel beige XSR built also!
Well Hairy Olds, I know what you are talking about. The light yellow Toronado sitting on the used car lot around 1981 right? I have photos of it and I think I recall you have photos of it too from one of your posts. There are alot of stories floating around about that car. It disappeared soon after those photos were taken in 81 and was never seen again. The photos do show a Toronado with T Tops but since the tops are not open, we can not be 100% sure the tops were power. One rumor from the past is that the yellow cars tops were removable and not electric. I even called that used car lot who is still in business today and spoke to someone who does remember the car being on the lot, however, that person said they do not recall the tops being electric. The person then said they would remember such a thing for sure. So, although the yellow car photo does raise some question, unless something comes up besides what we already know, the red and silver cars are it.

Last edited by Herbie; February 28th, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Geez Jaunty, I can not believe you got so worked up. I was just being nice in showing a photo of the two XSRs together.
I like to see the photos just fine. What I DON'T need to see is them accompanied by snotty, I-know-everything-and-everyone-else-is-an-idiot commentary. You may not have meant that, but that's sure as hell how it came across.

And what is the source of your information, anyway? How do we know it's any more authoritative than anything from these other sources?
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I like to see the photos just fine. What I DON'T need to see is them accompanied by snotty, I-know-everything-and-everyone-else-is-an-idiot commentary. You may not have meant that, but that's sure as hell how it came across.

And what is the source of your information, anyway? How do we know it's any more authoritative than anything from these other sources?
Jaunty, you are 100% wrong. You misunderstood me. I am just another car dope like the rest of us, not a know it all jerk. I just happen to be a fan of the Toronado XSR/XS. You took it the wrong way. If you need those plastic inserts, I have a few sets that are not dry and cracked.

Last edited by Herbie; February 28th, 2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Shoveling Snow

Originally Posted by Herbie
Well Hairy Olds, I know what you are talking about. The light yellow Toronado sitting on the used car lot around 1981 right? I have photos of it and I think I recall you have photos of it too from one of your posts. There are alot of stories floating around about that car. It disappeared soon after those photos were taken in 81 and was never seen again. The photos do show a Toronado with T Tops but since the tops are not open, we can not be 100% sure the tops were power. One rumor from the past is that the yellow cars tops were removable and not electric. I even called that used car lot who is still in business today and spoke to someone who does remember the car being on the lot, however, that person said they do not recall the tops being electric. The person then said they would remember such a thing for sure. So, although the yellow car photo does raise some question, unless something comes up besides what we already know, the red and silver cars are it.
I was there and took some of the pics and the T-tops were electric and slid into the middle. True the car has not been seen since but it is a real non vinyl top XSR, the only one made with mouldings around the back glass.
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
I was there and took some of the pics and the T-tops were electric and slid into the middle. True the car has not been seen since but it is a real non vinyl top XSR, the only one made with mouldings around the back glass.
I know. It was as we say, "Bald Headed" Do you have any photos of it with the tops open? That would do it. I heard so many stories on that car over time. I know the vinyl tops were put on because the wrap around rear window never fit right so it could never be set in exact to the car. The yellow car had that trim around the window. I guess the trim was one of a kind made for that car. I heard it was body number 80 which would have been made the same day as body 48, silver and body 55 red. The lucky guy who owns both XSRs has been searching for the yellow car forever. There was also a rumor it was wrecked and scrapped a year or two after it was on Frontier's Used Car lot. Nobody at American Sunroof Company or at Oldsmobile can recall the yellow car, however, several do recall the red car as the one used to promote the idea and Heinz Prechter kept the silver car in hiding for decades. There was once a rumor that the yellow and red car were the same car but I would question this. Funny but when the red car was being restored, they found yellow paint under some parts of the body and I have photos showing this. The XSRs, red, silver and yellow all had the exact same black pinstriped velour interior. There were a few photos of the yellow car online for a while but they seemed to have vanished.

Last edited by Herbie; March 1st, 2017 at 08:50 AM.