Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1973 Custom Cruiser, 53,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM

1973 Custom Cruiser, 53,000 miles

I have a red first generation 1973 Custom Cruiser Olds, it's only got 53,905 miles on it. It's got the wood grain siding on it. It's the 3 seater, original rocket engine in it. Original rims and everything. Power windows, power seats, cruise control. Clam shell back door/windows.

It does have some rust on it from being in Ohio, seeing as they use salt on their roads in the middle of winter. It also has sat in a barn since my grandma died in 1977, so it hasn't been driven much. I have the original title on it, there has only been 1 owner before me and that was my grandparents.

I hate to see this car go to someone that will take it to demolish it, so I'm posting it on here. I am asking for at least 6,000, which I feel isn't very much. I am willing to negotiate some, but not much. I am in Oregon, so getting it transported could be difficult, but doable. The reason I'm selling it is because I'm having a baby and this car just isn't practical. I want to give it to someone that will love and take care of this car for a long, long time.

If you are interested please call or text me at 541-212-4529. I can answer any questions or send you pics via phone because I only have a phone, and no computer lol.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM

I have a '73 Custom Cruiser. Let me take the liberty of offering you some advice.

1. I think your asking price is strong. The price guides generally value a '73 CC in the condition yours is apparently in at maybe $2000 to $3000. From your description, it sounds like the car has basically not been driven in 36 years. And it has rust. Those are going to work against it. If you could get it in good running and driving condition, that would help a lot.

Remember that you are in Oregon and the majority of the U.S. population does not live there. Most anyone interested in buying your car will have to transport it home, and if that home is any distance, the buyer has to figure maybe another $1000 to $1500 to have the car shipped. That will work into their calculation as to how much they want to pay for the car.

I know these cars are very rare, and people tend to think that this will automatically make them valuable, but life doesn't work that way. Station wagons, while apparently becoming more collectible in recent years, are still the poor stepchild of the car-collecting world. If rarity alone meant value, then our two cars would be worth about a half-million dollars each as there are only about three of them left on the planet, and we have two of them.

2. Join and post an ad over stationwagonforums.com. Lots of people over there drool over station wagons, and people over there are always looking to buy.

3. POST PHOTOS!!! As far and as wide as you can. I can't emphasize this enough. You say you have only a phone. Fine. It probably has a camera, right? Snap some photos. Then find a friend or the library or somewhere where you can get on a computer and upload them. They speak 1000 words each, and that's never more true than in the selling of cars.

Below is a photo of my wagon. I paid $1500 for it in 2010. You're looking at a $5,000 paint job the previous (and original) owner had had done on the car in 2005. It looked pretty much as you see it here when I bought it except that the interior had been disassembled by the previous owner as part of his restoration of the car, and then he died (of old age) before he could finish the job. I bought it from his family who wanted it gone.

It also had 16 year-old tires on it that held air but made me nervous. So that, the disassembled interior, and the fact that it hadn't been driven in five years meant I could not drive it the 90 miles to my home. I had it transported, and that cost me an additional $225.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 8th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator

I'd have to agree with the above. X2 on posting some pictures.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM

One more comment on photos. If you have a camera on your phone, you can probably email photos directly from the phone. I'd be more than happy to post those photos here for you as I'd love to see this beast. If you're interested, send me a PM (Private Message), and I'll send you my email address.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM

We would definitely like to see pics.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:03 PM

hopefully this works, I had to borrow a friends computer, the pics aren't very great, I took them on a bad cloudy day when I attempted to wash the car, but being as i'm very very short. I would like to get more pics if I could...so far I hope these work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
-1.jpg (23.8 KB, 66 views)
-2.jpg (107.6 KB, 66 views)
-5.jpg (91.9 KB, 64 views)
-8.jpg (71.2 KB, 58 views)
-6.jpg (125.6 KB, 55 views)
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Cool!

Good luck selling it.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM

PM sent.
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
PM sent.
She listed her phone number above. If she hasn't gotten back with you, I suggest you just call her. She's only going to see your PM if she logs back in to this site, sometimes people just looking to sell a car don't check back on the site very often and assume that anyone interested will just call.

I have two comments about those photos.

1. From what we can see of the car, it looks pretty good.

2. We can't see much of the car!!

How about a photo of the complete car from the front and from the rear? Engine? Front and second seat? Dash? Doors? If you can take one photo, you can take 100! How tall you are doesn't matter!
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Smile

Because I don't have a computer it's pretty difficult for me to really come on here and check. I did get the PM and replied. I did put my number on here so that people could text or call me asking me questions. Now since I inherited it from my family, I don't know a whole lot, so if I don't know I'll try to get back to your questions as quick as possible because my dad knows pretty much all about it lol.
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=jaunty75 How about a photo of the complete car from the front and from the rear? Engine? Front and second seat? Dash? Doors? If you can take one photo, you can take 100! How tall you are doesn't matter![/QUOTE]

I'll try to get some more next weekend, the car is at my parents house seeing as my driveway is filled with my boyfriends cars. When I do I'll definitely try to get some better pictures.