Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 W-30 -- Supreme Body?

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2014, 08:36 AM

1972 W-30 -- Supreme Body?

Did they make any Supreme bodied W-30 cars?

Here's one for sale.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Fyi

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Did they make any Supreme bodied W-30 cars?

Here's one for sale.

The ONLY way to get the W-30 option on a 1972 Cutlass Supreme hardtop was to also first order the HO package then add the W-30 option. You could not get the W-30 option without the HO option on a 1972 Supreme hardtop. If you wanted the W-30 option on a 1972 Supreme convertible you also had to purchase either the W-29 package or the HO package.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave, I think the question is more directed to what body style a W30 or 442 could be ordered with in the Cutlass Supreme body. Answer: convertible only in the 70-72 model years.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The car in that link was already posted by another member and critiqued as a fake 442.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM

It may be worth looking into whether it's a V-code car.
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:25 PM

more

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dave, I think the question is more directed to what body style a W30 or 442 could be ordered with in the Cutlass Supreme body. Answer: convertible only in the 70-72 model years.

No the question asked as did they make any Supreme based W-30 cars & I answered the question accurately. The original poster never mentions the 442 option in his question.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
It may be worth looking into whether it's a V-code car.
No, that wouldn't change the fact that the 442 was not offered in the 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop.

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
No the question asked as did they make any Supreme based W-30 cars & I answered the question accurately. The original poster never mentions the 442 option in his question.
Respectfully, I disagree. In order to be a W30, the car has to be a 442. This is just splitting hairs Dave. There were no 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop 442 W30's - period. The 72 HO is not a W30. If you check the HO fact sheet it clearly says that the HO could be ordered with the L77 X code engine, G80 and 3.42:1 rear axle. There are too many other cosmetic differences on the car that clearly distinguish it from being a 442. The only Cutlass Supreme that was W30 option class in 1972 was the CS convertible.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:28 PM

No, that wouldn't change the fact that the 442 was not offered in the 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop.
It's irrelevant - the V-code motor was offered on the Cutlass Supreme.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No it is relevant. The discussion is about whether the picture the OP posted a link to was a real W30 CS hardtop. Look at that car and tell me you think it's going to be a W30 if it has a V code motor. V code simply means a 455 with an SMT.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM

Now this is getting dumb.

All I said is "It may be worth looking into whether it's a V-code car."

That still stands.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Read the CL ad. The car is being flogged as a 1972 442 W30. No way in hell.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:59 PM

The claims of the owner has nothing to do with my comment that the car is worthy of checking whether it's a V-code car.
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So if I said my car had an M20, M21 or M22 - or maybe just 'a muncie 4 spd' with a 455 you'd also want to check to see if it was a V code? With all the changes and modifications the seller has made to the car that clearly authenticates NOTHING, I read your response to mean that ANY Cutlass with a 'muncie 4 spd' should be checked to see if it has a V code. Odds of this car being a V code are a snowballs chance in hell. If this was a true V code car, the seller would have included text stating it retained it's original 455, instead of A 455, and original M20 4 spd instead 'equipped with a muncie 4 spd'. A muncie 4 speed could be any number of different transmissions added to the car, same as the 455.

Tell you what. If you're so fixated on it being a V code and want to know? You ask the seller.
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM

I guess the difference between you and me is that I'm intrepid and will ask questions.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM

If it is obvious that the ad is fraudulent the V code is irrelevant. This is not a pissing contest. facts are facts. No one in my opinion faults anyone for asking questions but the evidence will lead to the truth. No ill will, just search for truth.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
I guess the difference between you and me is that I'm intrepid and will ask questions.
No, you don't ask questions. You imply but do nothing more and expect others to do your legwork. Look up the definition of intrepid, you don't fit it.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM

I see a bunch of amateurs here.
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:52 AM

At the risk of sounding like Rodney King....."Can't we all just get along?" C'mon guys, nobody wins or loses here. It is the Holiday season for most everyone and it is supposed to be filled with cheer and brotherly love. With all the negative stuff happening here in our country and all around the world for that matter, why bicker over something that in the BIG PICTURE, matters not at all. Who really cares if it has a code in the VIN; I doubt anyone here will be a buyer.
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
At the risk of sounding like Rodney King....."Can't we all just get along?" C'mon guys, nobody wins or loses here. It is the Holiday season for most everyone and it is supposed to be filled with cheer and brotherly love. With all the negative stuff happening here in our country and all around the world for that matter, why bicker over something that in the BIG PICTURE, matters not at all. Who really cares if it has a code in the VIN; I doubt anyone here will be a buyer.
Well said my man!

Besides, I just took all those numbers and gold paint off my Supreme...who needs em
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If you wanted the W-30 option on a 1972 Supreme convertible you also had to purchase either the W-29 package or the HO package.
Umm, no. The 1972 CS Vert could be ordered as W30 (which required/included the W29 components for appearance and suspension) all on its own. It did not require an HO order as Hurst only produced a limited number (629 or 624 depending on your source) of HO's. CS vert orders were independent and could be ordered as W29 or W30. Just no 72 CS HT was ever a 442 or W30. As you likely know, a true HO will have a W45 on the cowl tag and be Lansing built. Supposedly only 32 of the HO's built in 72 had the optional W30 performance upgrade added to their provenance.

No the question asked as did they make any Supreme based W-30 cars & I answered the question accurately.
Not often you do slip up, but this time you did.
Old December 20th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Sorry Allan

Umm, no. The 1972 CS Vert could be ordered as W30 (which required/included the W29 components for appearance and suspension) all on its own. It did not require an HO order as Hurst only produced a limited number (629 or 624 depending on your source) of HO's. CS vert orders were independent and could be ordered as W29 or W30. Just no 72 CS HT was ever a 442 or W30. As you likely know, a true HO will have a W45 on the cowl tag and be Lansing built. Supposedly only 32 of the HO's built in 72 had the optional W30 performance upgrade added to their provenance.

Not often you do slip up, but this time you did.

I do not think that I "slipped up" as you have posted. You are not reading what I posted correctly. I chose to step out of this thread because it was getting heated.

I totally agree that no 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop was ever built with the W-29 option. The car pictured in the ad is totally bogus. Someone put W-30 stripes & 442 badges on a Cutlass Supreme & Olds never offered this car. I am sure we can all agree on that.

Not sure why you are having so much trouble with my original post but here it is again.....

The ONLY way to get the W-30 option on a 1972 Cutlass Supreme hardtop was to also first order the HO package then add the W-30 option. You could not get the W-30 option without the HO option on a 1972 Supreme hardtop. If you wanted the W-30 option on a 1972 Supreme convertible you also had to purchase either the W-29 package or the HO package.

I stand by my post and suspect that we are arguing only semantics. To me any 1972 car that has a VIN that includes an X as the 5th digit is a W-30 car. Perhaps it is not to you?.

So a 1972 HO hardtop with an X as the 5th digit is in fact a Cutlass Supreme with the HO & W-30 options is it not? And is a 1972 Hurst Olds convertible with an X as the 5th digit not a Cutlass Supreme convertible with both the HO & W-30 options?

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 20th, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Irregardless of the authenticity from a legit 442 standpoint, I like the car, and its lose enough for me to drive and see. At what price point is this car a decent buy? Curious what you gentlemen think.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not sure why you are having so much trouble with my original post
I think it's the wording.....

Yeah, I don't want to belabor this any more. I'll just say that all 72 HO's could include a W30 option but obviously not the appearances. Regardless of whether it was a CS HT or Vert that got an X code option upgrade, I think their true heritage is based on the W45 cowl tag provenance, so in this case - no I don't see those cars as automatically being designated W30's. What's worth more? An X code W30 or an X code W45? Could an X code vert be easily cloned to a 72 HO? Sure, but it would be missing that W45 cowl tag.

IMO, a good comparison to this discussion - a W30 optioned 72 HO is no different than comparing a 70/71 CS SX (Y79 Performance option). Each has distinctive badging and features and both were available in CS HT and Vert models. I also think the W32 CS SX's are arguably as rare and desired as the 72 HO's with X code designations.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Fummins
Irregardless of the authenticity from a legit 442 standpoint, I like the car, and its lose enough for me to drive and see. At what price point is this car a decent buy? Curious what you gentlemen think.
Since originality isn't a concern? The asking price seems reasonable considering the recent work and 'upgrades' to the car. Don't expect any fuel economy from it though. Ask to see the cars repair docs so you know who to go to if there's any issues with the driveline or body issues show up.

I apologize for hi jacking your thread.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:41 PM

oops

I think it's the wording.....

Yeah, I don't want to belabor this any more. I'll just say that all 72 HO's could include a W30 option but obviously not the appearances. Regardless of whether it was a CS HT or Vert that got an X code option upgrade, I think their true heritage is based on the W45 cowl tag provenance, so in this case - no I don't see those cars as automatically being designated W30's. What's worth more? An X code W30 or an X code W45? Could an X code vert be easily cloned to a 72 HO? Sure, but it would be missing that W45 cowl tag.

IMO, a good comparison to this discussion - a W30 optioned 72 HO is no different than comparing a 70/71 CS SX (Y79 Performance option). Each has distinctive badging and features and both were available in CS HT and Vert models. I also think the W32 CS SX's are arguably as rare and desired as the 72 HO's with X code designations.

Jeepers Allan...did you just slip up?

Please correct me if I am wrong but there is no such thing as an X code W-45 car. As we all know a/c was not available on any X code car in 1972. Did you mean X code W-46?
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jeepers Allan...did you just slip up?

Please correct me if I am wrong but there is no such thing as an X code W-45 car. As we all know a/c was not available on any X code car in 1972. Did you mean X code W-46?
Yeah, long day. W45 = U code, W46 is the X code performance upgrade. I guess....yes, I slipped up. Good catch.

re: AC?? Are you referring to that bogus W30 clone for sale or just a general statement about 72 X code no AC? If yes, I agree.
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Since originality isn't a concern? The asking price seems reasonable considering the recent work and 'upgrades' to the car. Don't expect any fuel economy from it though. Ask to see the cars repair docs so you know who to go to if there's any issues with the driveline or body issues show up.

I apologize for hi jacking your thread.
Ya, im just looking for a nice quality driver, and am a fan of the bb 4spd combo. Car seems sorted out but would obviously need to do
my dd on the work performed. Gas mileage is of no concern given it would get driven seldom and only locally.
Old December 26th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fummins
Ya, im just looking for a nice quality driver, and am a fan of the bb 4spd combo. Car seems sorted out but would obviously need to do
my dd on the work performed. Gas mileage is of no concern given it would get driven seldom and only locally.
Fummins, did you buy it by any chance? The seller just texted me back a week later and said it sold the same day (and made sure to say "U Snooze U Lose"). Never did give me a straight answer on if it had a V in the VIN, but said it was an original big block 4 speed. I really doubt it, but my V Code Supreme was significantly modified when I bought it too, so you never know. He said an Olds fanatic bought it - maybe it will show up at an event in NorCal.

And to answer Allan R's earlier question (not directed at me)- yes, if I see a 455 4 speed '72 Supreme, I always send a note asking if it has a V in the VIN.

Terry
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:11 PM

No Terry, i talked to him for about an hour, or should i say he fast talked me, lol. His story was all over the place, first he was building bikes for the cast of SOA television show, then he was a collector of ultra rare chebbies, and on and on. My head was swimming and my internal bs meter was at full alert. He never provided the vin# or a pic of the pink slip as i asked him. He did come down to $15K over the phone. I was very tempted but he didnt pass my sniff test
Mark