Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S w/ 455...

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM

Talking 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S w/ 455...

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S (located in Austin, TX 78704)
$7,500 Cash or best offer by: June 4th

I am selling the car of my dreams. I bought it one year ago, and it has been my daily driver for the past year. It is registered, inspected, and has a clear title. It has less than 10k miles on a rebuilt Oldsmobile 455cid, of which I have driven 9k miles. It is my daily driver to this very day. This car is very complete. Every piece is present, accounted for, and mounted properly to the car. It is not all matching numbers. I have provided every spec for the car that I can find. In my research I found that this car originally had an Olds 350cid. It now has a 1971 Olds 455cid.

Options: Baroque Gold Paint, 442 Spoiler, White Vinyl Interior, Original Bucket Seats & Console Shifter, 442 Steering Wheel, A/C, Front and Rear Sway Bars, PS, PB, etc…

Year: 1972
Make: Oldsmobile
Model: Cutlass S
VIN: 3G87H2R136943
Engine Block: 1971 Oldsmobile 455cid V8 - #396021F
  • Rebuilt in 2006. Less than 10k miles since rebuild. (have receipts)
  • Internals include Flat-top Pistons & Mild Performance Cam (specs unknown)
  • 11mpg city / 17mpg hwy
Cylinder Heads: "E Heads" #CFD403686
Intake Manifold: Edelbrock Performer for Oldsmobile 455 - #2151
Carburetor: 1971 Oldsmobile 4bbl Rochester Quadrajet #7041251
Transmission: (B.O.P.) TH350 A/T
Rear Ratio: Corporate 10 bolt 8 ½” 2.73 Open Rear
Exhaust: Long Tube Headers, 2 1/4 inch Dual Flow Master 40 series mufflers.
Tires: 245/60/14 BFGoodrich Radial T/A (less than 10k miles)
Wheels: Set of 4 -14” x 7” Keystone Wheels
Cooling: 3 Core Radiator, High Volume Aluminum Water Pump, New Fan Shroud, New clutch fan. I have a working electric fan mounted, but not wired.
A/C: Complete system, simply needs to be charged, all motors and blowers work.
Body Data Plate:
ST 72-33687 R 12147 BDY
TR 947 A51 57 A PNT
11E498
Other new-ish items: new battery, new starter, new positive and negative battery terminals, new open-element air cleaner (still have stock air cleaner w/ 455 rocket stickers... pretty awesome.) I also have the 1 yr. old factory water pump in great working condition. All suspension replaced in the last 3 years down to the last bushing, and front and rear sway bars. GM A bodies have 4-link rear suspension, which is amazing. I love the way this car handles.

Known Issues:
1. Slow battery drain coming from around the key lock cylinder. Haven't been able to afford to get it looked at. Takes about 3 weeks to drain a fully charged battery if left sitting.
2. Interior is complete, just needs new vinyl seat covers front and back.
3. Needs a new factory headliner.
4. Has an exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side.
5. Dash lights don't work.
6. Although it has an electric choke, still needs to be warmed up in cold weather like most carbed big blocks.
7. Dent in the driver side door. Not major.
8. Key scratch along the passenger side. (I actually caught the guy who keyed my car. Sweet redemption…)
9. Front windshield weather strip leaks in two small areas.
10. Some rust, some bondo, honestly nothing cancerous that I've seen. I'm no expert, so feel free to examine.
11. Burns approximately 1 quart between oil changes. I’ve changed it twice, and I only use Full Synthetic Oil. That means it burns 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles.
12. It has a Cutlass Supreme Hood, and Grill Inserts. I pointed that out to the prior owner, and he had no idea how they ended up on the car. It didn’t bother me because I had planned on replacing the hood with the fiberglass ram air hood, and the 442 grill inserts.

All in all, the car looks, runs, drives great. I can’t go 5 minutes without getting a compliment on it. Please let me know if you are interested in seeing the car in person. I would be happy to make appointments for serious buyers. I have over $12k in receipts from prior owner. Must be seen and driven to fully appreciate it. Follow the link to see more pictures of the car:

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

I will add photos of the interior by 5/23/2009 so please check back. I will provide the new link to those photos as well. I just need to get personal belongings out of the car first, so it doesn’t look so cluttered. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you’re having a great day. Feel free to call me on my cell phone: 512.825.6860 my name is Jon Stringer. If I don’t answer, please leave me a voicemail, and I will return your call. Or PM me, or finally email me @ jonstringer@gmail.com.

Last edited by jonstringer; May 23rd, 2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added vehicle location
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM

Did some anus key the passenger side??
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM

You guessed it. A skinny emo kid who saw his ex-girlfriend sitting in my lap at a party. He keyed it, someone watched him do it, and came straight to me. I walked up to him, and sensibly asked for him to pay for that side of my car to be repainted. He was scared to death, so he agreed. Not the "beat down" story I'm sure you were hoping for, but better in some ways.
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Rare, very rare! To get the chance to call them out. Good luck with the sale.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Interior, engine, & trunk pics posted!

I have uploaded a ton of interior, engine bay, and trunk pics. Use the same link in the posting to see them. Or just follow this one:

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

Thank you for your patience, and I appreciate your interest.

Jon Stringer
jonstringer@gmail.com