Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Cutlass Supreme, Triple Black, Nice options, $8500, Seattle WA

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2018, 09:15 PM

1972 Cutlass Supreme, Triple Black, Nice options, $8500, Seattle WA

1972 Cutlass Supreme, factory triple black, 350/4bbl, Turbo 350, 2.73 gearing, power disc brakes, air conditioning, tinted glass, buckets/console, tilt, cruise, power windows, power door locks, power trunk release, rear defrost (heated glass), all 4 factory floor mats, 14x7 SSI rally wheels, lighting group hood/trunk/mirror/interior, door edge guards (no on atm), wearing 1970 teardrop sport mirrors. The original chrome remote mirror was in the trunk and is included with the sale.

It came from the estate of the longtime owner. The Washington state title was dated 1981. His brother told me he owned it longer 1981 was when he moved to Seattle and titled it in Washington. Previous owner was a mechanic by trade. I suspect he worked at a GM dealership. Based on the tabs and the DOT dates on the tires the car was likely parked for 20+ years. Currently has Clear Washington state title in my name. Permanent Washington state vehicle registration so no annual tab renewal fees if you live in WA.

The previous owner's brother still owns an auto body shop outside Seattle. I believe they repainted the car black sometime in the 1980s. The paint is in very poor condition. It is lacquer checked on most panels. Original number's matching 350 motor. VIN is stamped on driver's side of block. Correct 7A cylinder heads, correct 7042251 Rochester 4bbl carb. Correct turbo 350 transmission. Correct 10 bolt rearend with 2.73 gears. The tabs on the exhaust manifold bolts are still intact. I do not believe any drive train components have ever been out of the car. Even the warm up tin going to the air cleaner is still in place which is rarely the case. Odometer shows 80k. Actual mileage unknown.

The Cutlass runs and drives surprisingly well for an unrestored 46 year old car. It can sit for weeks and with 2 pumps of the gas it starts on the first turn of the key every single time. Choke works correctly. No smoke. No engine noises. Transmission goes right into gear and shifts well. No rear end noises. The exhaust is not loud, but it's close to end of life.

I replaced the alternator (I kept the original date coded one), voltage regulator, plugs, fuel pump, points/condenser, battery terminals, belts, hoses, clamps, radiator cap, vacuum lines, rubber fuel lines. I completely rebuilt the brakes including new master cylinder, front rotors, pads, calipers, and rubber hoses. I also replaced the rear brake shoes including new wheel cylinders. I also replaced the dimmer switch and headlight switch. I also replaced most of the light bulbs. I flushed the coolant and replaced the oil/filter and adjusted the carb/timing/dwell. I believe the water pump and timing chain were previously done. I'm pretty sure the radiator was also replaced. Fan shroud is intact. No belt on the A/C compressor. A/C is probably inop even with a belt. The old plugs I pulled out were all coffee colored as they should be.

The old tires had permanent flat spots. They held air had lots of tread and looked great, but the Olds drove terrible with them. I put nearly new Goodyear Eagle GT II P205 70 R14s all the way around including a 5th mounted on the rally in the trunk. I wanted tires very close to original size hence my choice.

The cutlass drives well down the road. Not a squeak or rattle. The engine runs well and has good power. The transmission has nice shifts. All 4 power windows work although the fronts are very slow to go up or down. The rears zip up and down. There were a couple extra used OEM window motors in a box when I purchased the car and those come with the sale. Power door locks work. I've never tried the cruise or the rear defrost. The tilt is nice and tight. The heater is probably good enough for Alaska. The dash lights work. Some of the courtesy lights work some of the time. The driver's side door jamb light switch is inop. All exterior lights including low/high beams, parking, brake, side marker and even license plate work. Gas gauge and speedo both work. Power trunk release is inop.

The bottoms of both front seats are both beginning to rip. The rear seat is in excellent condition. The headliner is in very good shape especially for 46 years of service. The carpet is very thin and needs replacement. All 4 factory floor mats are intact, but none of them is in very good condition. I think most of the side glass has scratches in it. The windshield is LOF and likely original. The dash pad is nice. There is a slightly newer GM 2 **** am/fm tape in the dash. I do not believe the dash has been cut. The console is in very nice condition. I don't see any cracks. The console lid works correctly.
They often have broken hinges or other issues. This is one of the nicest consoles I've seen. One of the deck lid springs is broken so you you have to hold the trunk lid open. 5th SSI rally in the trunk with matching tire.

I don't see any rust at the bottoms of either front fender, but the 72 supremes have the wide trim at the very bottom of the rocker panels so I cannot say for certain if they are rust free. The bottom of the driver's quarter looks very nice. There is a seam of rust probably 3 inches long starting at the top of the wheel arch just above the stainless trim. The bottom of the passenger quarter has a small bit of rust behind the wheel opening. The is a quite a bit of rust in the trunk floor. It is pretty thin in spots.

Overall the car is very straight except for the driver's door. The previous owner's brother said a truck backed into the door in a parking lot. I'm not a body person and the door looks pretty bad to me. There were a set of extra gold doors that came with the car and those are included with the sale of the olds. A body/paint friend of mine said the door is fixable, but I would probably swap it out for the nice door. Beyond that the car is very straight. The front end plastic is nice. No cracks in the stone shield, the headlight housings are nice, and the grills are nice. I think 1 mounting tab on 1 of the grills is broken. The front end bumper alignment is excellent. I actually believe the car is wearing an NOS GM front bumper as I can see a very old GM tag on the back side. The bumper was probably put on the car decades ago.

VIN: 3J57K2Mxxxxxx
Trim tag:
ST 72 34257LAN = 1972 cutlass supreme 2dr hardtop built in Lansing
TR 970 19 b PNT = black bucket seat interior, ebony black paint, black vinyl top
01B A51 B85 = built 2nd week of January 1972. Strato bucket seats

Old May 21st, 2018, 02:10 PM

Bump,
Old May 21st, 2018, 02:23 PM

Sold!
Old May 21st, 2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by doubleUthirty
Sold!
Congrats - great looking car.

Terry