Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible - $29950 (forsyth) - Not Mine

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Running On Empty

1971 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible - $29950 (forsyth) - Not Mine

Just posted on CL. I have a couple issues w/ the posting. When someone is selling a 1971 CS for this price and makes the following (below) statements, I'd expect to see a minimum of one image of the engine, I'd expect to know the size of the engine, I'd expect to know what transmission, I'd expect to know the fuel injection manufacturer, I'd expect to know if it's original equipment Power Brakes & I'd expect to know if it is numbers matching but it's doubtful it is numbers matching with a supposed "New High Performance Engine" (anyone's guess what that means). I'd expect to know the condition of the convertible top tonneau cover (if one exists for the vehicle). Additionally, it doesn't appear to be a high option vehicle (no electric windows). It looks pretty clean, but at this asking price you'd think they'd embellish a tad more on these item statements.

New High Performance Engine, New Transmission & Drive Shaft, New Dual Exhaust, Installed Fuel Injection, Power Brakes.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/c...905679483.html

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 6th, 2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old June 6th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

I also just noticed I don't believe that is the original mirror as my remote driver's side mirror is round and I believe my (1971 CS convertible) mirror to be OEM.
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:10 AM
Always room for one more

The mirror looks like it's from an 80s Chevy Caprice. Nice color, looks like the new Chevy trucks.
Old June 7th, 2019, 05:20 AM

Or the mirror is from a 88 or 98- middle 70's. Are those grills 442 grilles with Cutlass Supreme emblem? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Looks pretty good though.. modified a lot. are those home made door panels? Nice car-but pricey.
Old June 7th, 2019, 11:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice looking car overall. The AC is the vintage aftermarket one based on the dash switches. There are some cosmetic issues that some may not mind:
  • Door panels are custom - no wood grain as the factory ones
  • 72 stone shield emblem
  • B/C car remote chrome mirror instead of RPO D55
  • lower dash chrome accents appear to be worn off
  • no real options to speak of, not even a clock
  • 442 grills with alternative badging
I wouldn't pay that much for it though. What's invested isn't necessarily what the market will pay.
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
There are some cosmetic issues that some may not mind:
  • Door panels are custom - no wood grain as the factory ones
  • 72 stone shield emblem
  • B/C car remote chrome mirror instead of RPO D55
  • lower dash chrome accents appear to be worn off
  • no real options to speak of, not even a clock
  • 442 grills with alternative badging

You left out the steering wheel.
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Just posted on CL. I have a couple issues w/ the posting. When someone is selling a 1971 CS for this price and makes the following (below) statements, I'd expect to see a minimum of one image of the engine, I'd expect to know the size of the engine, I'd expect to know what transmission, I'd expect to know the fuel injection manufacturer, I'd expect to know if it's original equipment Power Brakes & I'd expect to know if it is numbers matching but it's doubtful it is numbers matching with a supposed "New High Performance Engine" (anyone's guess what that means). I'd expect to know the condition of the convertible top tonneau cover (if one exists for the vehicle). Additionally, it doesn't appear to be a high option vehicle (no electric windows). It looks pretty clean, but at this asking price you'd think they'd embellish a tad more on these item statements.

New High Performance Engine, New Transmission & Drive Shaft, New Dual Exhaust, Installed Fuel Injection, Power Brakes.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/c...905679483.html

I'd expect your not even interested in this car, so why do you even care? Yet you decided to publicly bash it on the www and possibly hinder the seller from a successful sale. Sometimes the internet really sucks. Personally I think its a very nice car and if you have any questions a message or email to the seller might be the better route.
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nope, I just thought that was so obvious it didn't need mentioning. Same with the wheels. Some folks think that is stock though, so your point is valid.
Old June 7th, 2019, 07:30 PM

It is a nice car, and I certainly didn't mean to bash it. I guess I always thought these links to craigslist ads were just between us CO guys on the site and we could comment... But I see your point, and agree with you Eric.
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'd expect your not even interested in this car, so why do you even care? Yet you decided to publicly bash it on the www and possibly hinder the seller from a successful sale. Sometimes the internet really sucks. Personally I think its a very nice car and if you have any questions a message or email to the seller might be the better route.
I wasn't publicly bashing the car - I stated the car was pretty nice but thought the seller should provide more detail regarding the statements I have already referenced. I know how to reach out to the gentleman on CL. I don't really care if you think I am interested in this car or you don't think I am interested in this car. I purchased my 1971 CS from Georgia, I'm interested in picking up another 1971 CS convertible and welcomed additional feedback. I don't need for you to publicly bash my own evaluation of this car, yet you took the opportunity to highlight my evaluation rather than the plethora of any other similarly listed thread. The vehicle is NOT listed on our site. You're a bossy opinionated moderator, IMO.