Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 Olds cutlass conv.

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM

1971 Olds cutlass conv.

Restored, frame on. New quarters, outer wheel houses, fender, new base coat/clearcoat Viking blue with new black interior. New rechromed bumpers, factory dual exhaust thru the rear bumper with new tips. Bench seat automatic on column. New windshield, tires, brakes and shocks. New conv. top with new boot. factory am radio. sport mirrors, sport wheel. Rebuilt 455 E head motor, complete valve job with hardened seats and new exhaust valves and springs, new main and rod bearings, new piston rings, new crane cam, rebuilt quadrajet 4bbl. New water pump, timing chain, 4 core radiator, alternator and master cylinder. New emblems and door handles. Over $22,000 invested. Sell for $19,000 OBO. Call Paul (508) 542-4775
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1971_Olds-2.jpg (110.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg
1971_Olds-4.jpg (95.2 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by scrappie; April 6th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM

Paul,

I wanted to reach out and introduce myself - I am now the owner of this Cutlass Supreme you restored. First let me say you did an incredible job and the quality of your restoration work is really impressive. Everywhere I go people offer compliments on the car and ask if I fixed it up myself and of course I say no, but its great for me to able to connect with the person who did!

I bought the car from Hugh in August and drove it back from New Hampshire to Long Island w/ the top down and its already one of my greatest car memories. I've been on this site for awhile and have had two other Cutlasses, but this one tops them all (pics of them in my profile album). In trying to connect the dots, another one of the great members of this site (droptopron) told me he believed he was the seller of this car to you about 5 years ago. For me trying to learn about where my car came from its fascinating stuff!

Of course the car needs nothing, but Hugh did a front brake disc conversion (which needed a vacuum reservoir to be added). But otherwise all I have done was put on some SS1 wheels and plan to add an OAI hood. From there I have some thoughts about cloning it as an SX or 442, but am also not against leaving it original. Its just fun to tinker around with in my head.

Anyway I'd love to ask you some more detailed questions via pm if you don't mind? I've seen you on the boards and even posted on some of your threads, had no idea I was talking to the restorer of my car but after seeing your name mentioned on the CO facebook site it all clicked. I will quit rambling on and hope things are going well with your 442!

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by TenMidgets; December 1st, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Hi Bill,

I apologize for not getting back to you. I did not know I had a message until I checked. I rarely use the pm option but it usually pops up to tell me and this time it did not?
Anyway I noticed the car soon after you got it and read your posts and was almost sure it was my old car. Hugh contacted me when he was thinking of selling to see if I wanted to buy it back but I am in no position to do so. I bought the car from a guy in New York about 5-6 yrs ago off 442.com, maybe long Island area I really cant recall? I bought the car for 10k ended up putting another 10k into parts and did all labor myself. My plan was to do a minor resto and flip to invest in my 442 resto but it is amazing how quick it can snowball out of control. I ended up losing a little money but it could have been worse. I like to try to do things right and I did a lot more than I planned. I'm glad your enjoying the car. I think a OAI hood and buckets with console will really make that car. I was pleased with the color after painting and got many compliments. Glad to see Hugh put a vacuum booster in because that car with that cam and drum brakes was scary! I think I still have some paint left from the resto. That was the first car I did and I really enjoyed the process. I would love to do that for a living but now I see how hard it could be to make a living and how expensive it can be to an owner. Seems to be a real niche.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Paul

Last edited by scrappie; December 18th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Paul,

You certainly have the skills to do restorations for a living full time if you chose too. Thanks for your reply and its really great to be able to connect the dots on the car and talk to you about the great work you did. If you don't mind I will pm you some questions I have

Thanks again for getting back to me and I'll talk to you soon. This website is really an amazing resource!

Merry Christmas,
Bill
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
delete

Paul, its Ron that sold the car to you. You did some job on it. Way nicer than I would have ever made it. Its funny that the car has come full circle. Bill is about 10-15 minutes from me.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:35 AM

Bill: Fire away with your questions anytime through pm and thanks for the compliments.

Ron: Thanks, I'm glad you get to see the car because after all it used to sit in your driveway. The car needed some help and I'm glad its with someone who can enjoy and appreciate it. It is too funny how it ended up right back near you.

I really enjoy this website also.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by scrappie; December 23rd, 2012 at 05:39 AM.