Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 Delta 88 convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2018, 08:59 PM

1971 Delta 88 convertible

I think the asking price ($5800) on this is a steal. Someone needs to go buy it right now. Wish he had a few more photos.

(Why are the windshield wipers not all the way down?)

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...614288602.html

Old June 12th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

No kidding, that is a steal. The current owner has owned it since it was 2 years old. I bet it is already gone. I am glad that car is not located close to Dallas because I would probably buy it and I don't need another car. That is a bargain.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:01 AM

That is a good price. I wonder if it's rusted along the bottom since it's a car from WI?
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I wonder if it's rusted along the bottom since it's a car from WI?
This plus the fact that the car has over 130,000 miles on it call for a thorough inspection before purchase. It might be a very nice car all around, or it might be fine on top and relatively not so fine underneath. The lack of photos of the undercarriage might indicate something, or it might not.
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This plus the fact that the car has over 130,000 miles on it call for a thorough inspection before purchase. It might be a very nice car all around, or it might be fine on top and relatively not so fine underneath. The lack of photos of the undercarriage might indicate something, or it might not.
It always makes me wonder why they couldn't be bothered posting more and close up pictures, as well as describing it in better detail. What options does it have, do they all work, especially AC? To me, it's silly to hide these details, since they're gonna be discovered when the buyer comes to see the car in person. And then the buyer walks away in disgust at having his time wasted, wondering why the seller is wasting his own time. It's a 46 yr old car with high mileage. It's unlikely to be perfect, so why suggest that it is, by the omission of any details?
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Always room for one more

Maybe some people just don't know how to sell cars. All they see is the top part, so that's all they think to show in pictures.

The wipers might even help that theory. Milwaukee gets plenty of snow and perhaps them not parking right is from years of letting the snow pack down under them. I'm from the snow belt and the people I've seen do that generally think of the car as an appliance, not anything special.
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Maybe some people just don't know how to sell cars.
This is it exactly. Very few private sellers really know how to sell cars. It's rare to see a craigslist ad that's well done, and it's common to see sloppy ones that were obviously quickly thrown together. All of this is a function of the fact that craigslist ads are free, so there is no incentive to spend a few minutes constructing a good one so as to get the most for your classified-ad dollar, like you might have done back in the day when putting an ad in the local paper was about the only the way to sell a car or anything else.

Also, craigslist sellers sometimes don't realize that their ad will be visible nationally, not just in the local area. Many sellers just assume they need a photo or two to whet someone's appetite, and, if they're interested, they'll come over to see the car in person. But that's not possible if you live 1000 miles away, so a good ad with lots of photos is what's needed if you hope to attract the widest possible audience.