Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 442 W30 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2021, 01:08 PM

1970 442 W30 Convertible

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0321-45...0-convertible/

I wonder what this will bring in $$??

Is it really 1 of 96?
Old February 17th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Am I missing something here?

Old February 17th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Tape player is a very important and desirable option, although it certainly will not have the same value as ‘W30’

Perhaps seller should update listing description: documented U57 4-4-2
Old February 17th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vCode442
Tape player is a very important and desirable option, although it certainly will not have the same value as ‘W30’

Perhaps seller should update listing description: documented U57 4-4-2
They went through a lot of trouble to post a picture of a photocopy of a "build sheet".

Of course, shiny repro red inner fenders always get my attention.
Old February 17th, 2021, 02:09 PM

I thought early Broadcast cards didn't note the W30 option in 70
Old February 17th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I thought early Broadcast cards didn't note the W30 option in 70
Well, Dec is nearly half way through the model year.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, Dec is nearly half way through the model year.
I’m not a 70 W30 guy and don’t pretend to be but I remembered this discussed a while ago.

From Stefano:

Originally Posted by Stefano
There are documented no question examples of W-30 4 speed convertibles built earlier in the production run, which do NOT have W-30 designated in the appropriate broad cast card box. So a broadcast card may not authenticate a 4 speed W-30 rag top.

Why this happened on Convertible 4 speed W-30s, I do not know. With only 96 produced and approx 30 deemed to be the real thing, I have inspected most of those cars, personally over the past decades.

I do not know this to hold true for automatic W-30 Convertibles and or Coupes as I have not seen a documented example of such and while at a lesser percentage I have looked at and inspected many of these cars as well, including docs..
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I’m not a 70 W30 guy and don’t pretend to be but I remembered this discussed a while ago.
OK, I'm just curious what "earlier in the production run" is.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I’d hope for a bit more documentation, the affidavit from Harold’s ***** doesn’t really do it for me
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:51 PM

They went through a lot of trouble to post a picture of a photocopy of a "build sheet".

Of course, shiny repro red inner fenders always get my attention.
Really? They look like real/originals to me. Yes, probably painted...but still real.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:59 PM

I don't see any info about "#'s Matching" anything! Did I miss something? I'd rather have a #'s matching standard 442 than a hodgepodge W-30 anyday.
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:01 PM

This same car sold at Barrett-Jackson in 2013 for $137,500 not that it means anything but an idea of what to expect from Mecum.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...ERTIBLE-137588
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 442Fred
This same car sold at Barrett-Jackson in 2013 for $137,500 not that it means anything but an idea of what to expect from Mecum.

Thanks, that ad pretty much says it all!
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 442Fred

the BJ ad from 2013 ad said:

original invoice from Owen Motors of Elkader, Iowa dated 12/24/69,

no mention of that in the current Mecum ad.

Old February 17th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful automobile, and I would enjoy having it in my garage. The original invoice from the selling dealer would obviously be better documentation than Harry B’s affidavit
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:24 PM

I'm still laughing over the affidavit from Hairy *****.
Old February 17th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Banned

I swear I am learning to dislike auction cars more and more. All the paperwork looks fake as a three dollar bill to me. Call me crazy. It may have sold for 137k before but I predict it won't this time.

Have I mentioned my distaste for auction cars?
Old February 17th, 2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda
So so funny...🤣

Unknowingly ordered a W-30? Hmmm

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 17th, 2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 17th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Banned

I love this line..

this car is unrestored with one repaint

Unrestored but has been repainted. Yeah ok. Other than being torn down and being repainted it's unrestored. Love dealer speak.
Old February 18th, 2021, 06:55 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Yea, I don't understand why a repaint still qualifies a car as unrestored to many. Makes no sense to me either.
Old February 18th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
So so funny...🤣

Unknowingly ordered a W-30? Hmmm
I'm struggling with why people think a document like this means anything. The notary stamp just means that the signature is valid. There's no verification of the actual content of the document. And it was written in 2007, so nearly 40 years after the fact. Yeah, I believe a salesman remembers every detail of one particular car sale after four decades.
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Am I missing something here?

I went through a survivor 12C W-30 ragtop, and the broadcast card didn't have W-30 either. This car appears to be built earlier than that so I wouldn't put too much stock in the broadcast card not showing W-30 for a ragtop built in 1969 as there is precedence here. Unfortunately, it doesn't rule it out but it doesn't act as bullet proof documentation either.
Old February 18th, 2021, 12:32 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

In another post of your own you admitted you were a jerk. I have to agree with you.

Old February 18th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Banned

I'm struggling with why people think a document like this means anything. The notary stamp just means that the signature is valid. There's no verification of the actual content of the document. And it was written in 2007, so nearly 40 years after the fact. Yeah, I believe a salesman remembers every detail of one particular car sale after four decades.
I completely agree with you. I also like how 2006 is X'ed out to the right. Oldsmobile just sent a W-30?? Sorry I don't buy that one.
Old February 18th, 2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I completely agree with you. I also like how 2006 is X'ed out to the right. Oldsmobile just sent a W-30?? Sorry I don't buy that one.
simple explanation, the typed up affidavit was expected to be signed before the end of the 2006 calendar year, but wasn't signed until the 5th of January 2007 - winter, holidays, old age & all

the comment is in reference to the "white stripes" with the "white top" VS. "black stripes" with the "black interior" which were not specified on the order - due to: "At the time of order, the literature for this new car was limited."

in general reading comprehension has gone the way of the dodo ......

Elkader, Iowa is a town of 1,600 people in 1970 (& 1,200 people now)
back-in-the-day people were involved in their community, many small town dealerships were personal, often lifelong friends with their customers

but 50+ years after the fact, one would have to get confirmation from other sources:
Harold W. Bahls, 79, of Elkader, died peacefully surrounded by family on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, at the Guttenberg Care Center. He was born the son of William and Irene (Polkow) Bahls on March 29, 1931
Old February 18th, 2021, 02:06 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

hurst68olds" in general reading comprehension has gone the way of the dodo ......"

Along with compassion, understanding, and kindnest, to add a few others.....

Old February 18th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
the comment is in reference to the "white stripes" with the "white top" VS. "black stripes" with the "black interior" which were not specified on the order - due to: "At the time of order, the literature for this new car was limited."
What I don't get is why this was even a question for an experienced sales person. Olds has ALWAYS recommended that the stripe color match the convertible/vinyl top and/or the interior. The default was always that if not otherwise specified on the order form. This has nothing to do with the fact that the car was a W30 - it was standard practice for prior years on any Cutlii with stripes, including the W42 hood stripes on the 1969 442s. This was specified right on the order form that the sales person had to fill out.

Old February 18th, 2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
In another post of your own you admitted you were a jerk. I have to agree with you.
Oh, please don't; I'm not sure the forum could survive another one of your hate-filled character assassinations like you did in the buyer feedback section to a long-time member.
Old February 18th, 2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
simple explanation, the typed up affidavit was expected to be signed before the end of the 2006 calendar year, but wasn't signed until the 5th of January 2007 - winter, holidays, old age & all

in general reading comprehension has gone the way of the dodo ......

Elkader, Iowa is a town of 1,600 people in 1970 (& 1,200 people now)
back-in-the-day people were involved in their community, many small town dealerships were personal, often lifelong friends with their customers

but 50+ years after the fact, one would have to get confirmation from other sources:
I was operating under the idea that the document was fake and a nom de plume was used, but Mr. Bahls did, in fact, exist, and was perhaps old enough to miss Hairy ***** jokes.
Old February 18th, 2021, 03:24 PM

1970 W-30 convertibles, automatic or manual transmission, built in 1969, did Not contain W30 on the broadcast cast card. I participated in the discussion. This has been discussed adnauseam.
If anyone has a broadcast card with W30 for a 1970 convertible, automatic or manual transmission, built in 1969, please post the broadcast card.
Old February 18th, 2021, 03:41 PM

What I don't get is why this was even a question for an experienced sales person. Olds has ALWAYS recommended that the stripe color match the convertible/vinyl top and/or the interior. The default was always that if not otherwise specified on the order form. This has nothing to do with the fact that the car was a W30 - it was standard practice for prior years on any Cutlii with stripes, including the W42 hood stripes on the 1969 442s. This was specified right on the order form that the sales person had to fill out.

I was operating under the idea that the document was fake and a nom de plume was used, but Mr. Bahls did, in fact, exist, and was perhaps old enough to miss Hairy ***** jokes.
To add a little prospective to the discussion........
I have been through Elkader a time or two. Its a small, rural farming community. They probably sold more John Deere agricultural tractors than Oldsmobiles. Until a few years ago,there was still a "Bahls Equipment Co." up in that area that sold farm equipment (agricultural tractors,combines, plows, planters, etc.). It may not have even had a showroom, ifit did,it had room for only one car. The "service department" probably had two mechanics that did everything. It may well have been the only new car dealer in town Harry may have been the dealership's only salesman and may have sold other things too. I would think someone helped him compose the affidavit.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old February 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Oh, please don't; I'm not sure the forum could survive another one of your hate-filled character assassinations like you did in the buyer feedback section to a long-time member.
The purpose for the buyer feedback section is to write about buyer experiences on this site. I did just that with posts that were sane, sensible, factual, and without hate language. In fact, the other party acknowledged my honesty in handling the complaint, and noted it was a mistake, an honest mistake on their part. It’s regrettable you define that as character assassination.

I can truthfully say I am not proud of all the posts I have made on this website. There is one post in particular, I wish I could take back. I can’t; however, I can and have stepped up to the plate and apologized for that post—and not by private message either, but publicly.

Now, getting back to your post that you made. You defined yourself, I didn’t; I only agreed with you after you took the juvenile route of twisting words to make a joke that you thought was funny and at the expense of someone else. That pretty much is a text-book definition of you-know-what. So, don’t come at me simply because I took exception to your crudeness, and agreed with your self-definition.

Don’t you suspect, Harold Bahls heard enough jokes about his name while he was living? I suspect this man was proud of his surname, as he should be, because he didn’t change it. And I would be willing to bet my next pension check this individual never went by the name of Harry. Perhaps he has a son or daughter that frequents this website. Put yourself in their shoes and try to understand how your joke would make them feel.

I bet within a matter of minutes someone could come up with a joke about your name, or mine, or others on this site.

Last edited by tnswt; February 18th, 2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 18th, 2021, 06:10 PM

Let's try focusing on the subject of this thread.

I love this car. The car is beautiful and a convertible. I must have air conditioning for health reasons.
Unfortunately, W30 4 speeds, have a 328 duration cam and air conditioning and power brakes are not available. But for no air conditioning and no power brakes, I would actively try to buy this car. In addition to the documents, I would personally look at the car or ask someone with the expertise to look at the car and verify what I am buying.
I don't necessarily have to have a W30 convertible. A 1970 442 convertible with factory air in number one or two condition works too!
You can't take away the car in this thread is not beautiful, especially since no one on this thread has seen this car and written anything to the contrary.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; February 18th, 2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 18th, 2021, 06:38 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I agree this car is a head-turner. It's beautiful.
Old February 18th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Banned

Amen. It is a beautiful car. Appears to have all the right stuff. So many great colors on certain Oldsmobiles. That blue is one my favorites on the an Olds ragtop. Great colors all the way around on that car. Buick shares that same Diplomat Blue in 1970. Looks so good in person.

Hopefully all the docs and the car are legitimate. My question was that I couldn't see Oldsmobile just building a W-30 convertible when it wasn't ordered. Good increase in price etc. Know one thing about it. Mad cash with bring it home to never be driven hard. Believe that. Shame.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 18th, 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old February 18th, 2021, 08:23 PM

An affidavit is a legal document witnessed by a third party (the notary) and is a sworn statement. The person providing the content in the affidavit provides first hand knowledge that what is contained within the document is true and correct to the best of his/her ability. Legally, an affidavit has the same force and effect as going to court, raising your right hand, while swearing on the bible. Providing false information on an affidavit is no different than providing false testimony in court. The person providing false information is subject to civil or criminal penalties, or both.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; February 18th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 18th, 2021, 08:46 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I think we can all agree it is a beautiful and rare example of a 1970 4-4-2.
In a perfect world it would have W 30 listed somewhere on the broadcast card. In a perfect world Oldsmobile would’ve listed options on the cowl tag, and designated engine options in the VIN (a la 1972s X). In a perfect world we could email “Oldsmobile Historical Society” with the VIN, and they would reply back with the build sheet and full history.

In a perfect world, this car would be in my garage - or Harry’s (if it had a/c!)
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:05 PM

In a perfect world it would have W 30 listed somewhere on the broadcast card. In a perfect world Oldsmobile would’ve listed options on the cowl tag, and designated engine options in the VIN (a la 1972s X). In a perfect world we could email “Oldsmobile Historical Society” with the VIN, and they would reply back with the build sheet and full history.

In a perfect world, this car would be in my garage - or Harry’s (if it had a/c!)
Tom. Even though we live in an imperfect world, if the car had air conditioning, the car would be in my garage............LOL
Old February 19th, 2021, 06:20 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

So true, and great perspective you have.
Old February 19th, 2021, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
The purpose for the buyer feedback section is to write about buyer experiences on this site. I did just that with posts that were sane, sensible, factual, and without hate language. In fact, the other party acknowledged my honesty in handling the complaint, and noted it was a mistake, an honest mistake on their part. It’s regrettable you define that as character assassination.

I can truthfully say I am not proud of all the posts I have made on this website. There is one post in particular, I wish I could take back. I can’t; however, I can and have stepped up to the plate and apologized for that post—and not by private message either, but publicly.

Now, getting back to your post that you made. You defined yourself, I didn’t; I only agreed with you after you took the juvenile route of twisting words to make a joke that you thought was funny and at the expense of someone else. That pretty much is a text-book definition of you-know-what. So, don’t come at me simply because I took exception to your crudeness, and agreed with your self-definition.

Don’t you suspect, Harold Bahls heard enough jokes about his name while he was living? I suspect this man was proud of his surname, as he should be, because he didn’t change it. And I would be willing to bet my next pension check this individual never went by the name of Harry. Perhaps he has a son or daughter that frequents this website. Put yourself in their shoes and try to understand how your joke would make them feel.

I bet within a matter of minutes someone could come up with a joke about your name, or mine, or others on this site.
Your opinion of your conduct is probably not shared by many. You are in no position to lecture me about the purpose of any section of this forum, nor are you in any position to lecture me about anything I post, both because of your newness here and because, quite frankly, no one asked you. You may want to think about your posts before you make them; in your small amount of posts, you've gotten in multiple arguments. If you have an issue with what someone posts, you can report the post, or, you can privately and politely PM the person with your concern. You don't get to insult people publicly then hide behind some sort of millennial-style scolding moral high ground. You'll probably end up apologizing for this one, too.

Quick Reply: 1970 442 W30 Convertible