Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 442 coupe

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2023, 05:39 PM

1970 442 coupe

***SOLD *** I’m selling my 70 442 hardtop, twilight blue, white vinyl top and black bucket interior, the engine and tranny stamps match the VIN. SF coded 3.23 12 bolt posi. I am looking to get $35k, the car is located in Massachusetts.

Included in the sale are manuals for 1970 and receipts. I have additional parts that I will sell to the buyer if he or she wants them-I will not sell any parts until the car is sold and funds are in hand. If you are interested and have the funds please send me a pm. When I bought the car in late 2015, Steve Minore trailered the car to my house for me (I did not buy this car from him) but while he had it he looked it over and gave me a “Rocket Report” going over all the good and bad with the car and certified that in his opinion the car is a true 1970 Oldsmobile 442 - report is included. I started a thread after acquiring the car you can find it here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-104712/page4/

Since owning this car I have never had it out in the rain-always garage kept. I put very little mileage on this car each year but would do an oil change each year along with a hand wash and dry to start off the season and to end the season. Being in Massachusetts the car only saw dry weather from April to November and then was put away for the winter months. I haven’t taken the car out much this past year due to personal reasons. I’ve done a lot of work to the car but there are still areas that need attention. I’m selling it and hope that the next owner will enjoy her. I believe I am asking a fair price for the car but the market will decide. The car has some small chips or scratches but nothing that stands out.

The car has the following options on it: Cruise control, Tilt steering wheel, Sport Steering wheel - the wheel does not feel sticky, A/C, AM/FM Stereo radio, Dash Clock, Rear Defogger, Power Steering, power brakes, courtesy lights, and sport mirrors.

Parts I have replaced with new, very nice used or had rebuilt since owning the car:

A/C - all the components have been replaced or rebuilt including the radiator
Brakes - rotors, drums, pads, shoes, brake lines, booster and master cylinder all replaced
Engine - valve cover gaskets, 7040257 carb rebuilt, rebuilt alternator, points and condenser, spark plugs and wires, battery (2019/2020?), rebuilt water pump
Interior - seat covers front and rear, new carpet, rear package shelf, visors, headliner, speakers front and rear
Wheels - 15” SSIII painted argent gray with snap on center caps, Cooper Cobra tires 235/60/R15 up front and 255/60/R15 out back
Fuel system - gas tank with padding, sending unit, and fuel pump. The fuel lines were replaced after the gas tank going forward but since I did not lift the body off the frame I could not do the lines from the gas tank that are sandwiched between the body and frame-these lines will come with the car.
Bumpers- front and rear - reproductions
Body - oem left 1/4 panel, right passenger fender, front hood, trunk lid and vinyl top.

Parts I will include with the sale that I just didn’t get to put on: - *updated*

Dual gate shifter cable
Emergency drum brake cables
Fuel lines that run from the gas tank to underneath the body and above the frame
Spring clips to fix directional signals so they switch off automatically
1111982 distributor with a 427-16 vacuum (service replacement) as the distributor on the car is not the proper number nor is the vacuum advance attached to it.
14" SS1 rims and tires 225/70/R14

Here is the current condition of the car:

The good: car drives great, stops good and can really haul a**. The car looks nice, plenty of tread on the tires, interior looks nice, no warning gauge lights on. Horn works, headlights, brake lights, reverse lights all work along with the directionals* The car has passed the Massachusetts Inspection check each year I have brought it.

The problems I know of:

The A/C though working could be colder. The brakes stop good but I could never get them to feel solid in the pedal feel but she does stop when applied. The radio works but the front speaker stopped working so only sound from the rear speaker, the radio will probably need servicing as it cuts out from time to time. The driver’s side grill has a crack on top but should be an easy repair. Bumper fitment needs tweaking, I just could not get it right and neither could the body shop I used - the car when in the shop was put on the frame machine and I was told all is square. Both front fender’s fitment is good not great. The cruise control was working and then it stopped, I’ve rechecked my vacuum lines, fuses and connections but I still cannot get it to engage. The driver’s bucket seat has a button cap that came off but I have it - it will come with the car. The steering pump and gearbox were replaced but at times as the car slows down and is taking a turn the power steering decreases and as I accelerate it works great again. I believe I just didn’t get the air out of the lines. There is tranny fluid that is leaking. Last year I replaced the gasket and filter along with another seal on the side of the transmission ( I cannot remember if it was the speedo cable connection or not). The leak is small as I have a pan underneath to catch any drippings and I’m usually getting just a small amount. When the car was stripped and the gas tank was off during the renovation I started cleaning the underside of the car’s pan and frame. As I cleaned up the outside of the frame rails I got as far as the front wheel wells and never got a chance to finish the task. The passenger rear quarter panel has a problem. When the shop was doing the work and welded in some new metal along the lip of the wheel well they did not follow the true contour. When they gave me the car back I was placing the wheel well trim on and found the right rear one did not fit well and I brought the car back for them to fix but he would not redo the lip to reform it correctly and just made a cut into the wheel well trim to make it look correct-unless you go looking it is not noticeable (at least to me).

Now the question people want to know is there any rust and rot - I am sure there is some hidden on this car but nothing that stands out, I do not see any bubbling on the painted surfaces. I do know of one area and it is the wheel well liner on the passenger side and it is a small area that resides just behind the tire so it is not seen when looking at the car. I have taken off a bunch of surface rust when I was going through the cleanup of the underbody and I still had some more to do and never finished. I know the shop welded in new steel in various areas, and took care of other areas that they felt they needed to address in other ways.

I have included a variety of pictures, the first few pictures attached show the stampings on the transmission, engine block, rear end, Vin plate along with a copy of the title showing the VIN numbers to show the match. I also included a picture of the passenger quarter panel’s metal work that caused the trim not to fit well. Please let me know if additional pictures are needed. I will get a chance early next week to place the car on a lift to grab photographs of the undercarriage which I will upload afterwards.

In the “Problems that I know of” I could definitely cut that down in size but I do not have the desire to work on her anymore and that is part of the reason Im looking to sell. Well that is about it but I’m sure I’m forgetting about a thing or two but I believe I pretty much hit on everything. I will answer all questions presented to me but please pm me and I will give you my number to talk. I truly want to thank everyone on this site, both past and present members who have provided knowledgeable information that I utilized since joining this group back in 2010.

Last edited by tdhill01; March 22nd, 2023 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Sold
Old March 17th, 2023, 05:43 PM

Old March 17th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Old March 17th, 2023, 05:54 PM

Old March 17th, 2023, 06:13 PM

That looks like a solid car Tom and could just use some finishing touches. GLWS
Old March 17th, 2023, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
That looks like a solid car Tom and could just use some finishing touches. GLWS
Thank you Paul.
Old March 18th, 2023, 06:21 AM

That is awesome.
Old March 18th, 2023, 02:58 PM

nice detailed pics, sharp car
Old March 18th, 2023, 04:24 PM

I have added pictures showing the right rear wheel well trim showing where he made cuts to make the bend work. I also added a pictures of the area behind the right rear wheel where there is a rusted through section that meets close to the trunk pan. The other pictures are the best I can do of the underside until I can get the car up on a lift next week. Thank you for the positive comments so far. I have decided to also give the purchaser a set of 14" SS1 rims and tires to go along with the 15" SSIII's.

Old March 18th, 2023, 04:36 PM

That car would be so much better if it had the rear wing and the cool hood.
Old March 18th, 2023, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
That car would be so much better if it had the rear wing and the cool hood.
Thanks but I decided to keep it original.
Old March 18th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Nice car GLWS. It’s refreshing to see a ‘70 without a spoiler and OAI hood.
Old March 18th, 2023, 06:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by tdhill01
I'm thinking he was joking. At least I hope so.

A reasonable price for a nice but not perfect car. Honest description, warts and all, plus great detailed pictures. Guys, this is a clinic on how to sell a car.

Best of luck!
Old March 19th, 2023, 04:59 AM

DEFINITELY joking, GLWS.
Old March 19th, 2023, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by 75 w-30 h/o
definitely joking, glws.
🤪
Old March 19th, 2023, 09:19 AM

It's a nice looking car and seems like a fair price. I know you put a lot of time and effort in it, GLWS.
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Fresh oil change today and I fixed the rear defogger so that runs good now. I also placed the button back on the seat too. As I was going through the car I remembered that the car”s hood latching system is set up for the inside hood lock option. I will include the cable and inside dash bracket that I have which is mostly complete. I also installed the lower vent panel for the AC outlets too. Here are some more pictures I took today of the trunk area and the crack on the grill.

Last edited by tdhill01; March 20th, 2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2023, 08:45 AM

*** Sold ***
Old March 22nd, 2023, 09:05 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Congrats! Hope you got your price.
Old March 22nd, 2023, 02:47 PM

Congrats! Did you sell to a dealer or private party?
Old March 22nd, 2023, 02:52 PM

Thank you all, a sale to a private party.
Old March 22nd, 2023, 05:48 PM

Love that color combo.
Old March 24th, 2023, 09:32 AM

The car left the driveway this morning with the new owner, a bit sad watching it go down the street without me being behind the wheel.
Old March 24th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Rocket Renegade!

The car left the driveway this morning with the new owner, a bit sad watching it go down the street without me being behind the wheel.
Well, what's next?
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Well, what's next?
I'm going to Disney... nothing on the horizon.
Old March 24th, 2023, 08:55 PM

*** Sold ***
Awesome!
what a great and honest display of your car, glad you were able to sell it, and with what I saw it was a very reasonable price.
Old March 25th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Banned

I'm going to Disney... nothing on the horizon.
So pretty sure that buys you three two day passes there... Have fun. 👍