Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 Oldsmobile W-31 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2013, 08:42 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by StickW31
I think for the money, this W-31 is well within the price range. Bottom line it's a REAL 69 W-31 post coupe 4-speed, low production pretty much unmolested and untouched except paint and an engine rebuild. A month in my garage and about 5k later, that car will be an outstanding example of a true 69 W-31. Even In the condition it is in now you can enjoy it and bring to a local cruise nite and have lots of people drool over this car.
JUst my 2 cents.

Good luck with the sale.
GREAT CAR and true example of a 1969 W-31. I'm sure Mr Dave Siltman would agree!!

STeve
May want to reread his post, here I quoted it for you and highlighted what you apparently missed
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Stickw31 said it was untouched and unmolested.

This was my quote TK "pretty much unmolested and untouched except paint and an engine rebuild"

I'm done with this pissing contest.......
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Senior Moment Member

That's like a Cadillac I sold. My friend asked me why I sold it. I said, "Except for the fact it needed an engine, trans, and paint, it was a perfect car!"
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM

I think the general consensus is that it is a great rare car. Some of the negativity in regards to whether the correct descriptive terms were used is petty.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:18 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
I think the general consensus is that it is a great rare car. Some of the negativity in regards to whether the correct descriptive terms were used is petty.
I agree wholeheartedly
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
That's like a Cadillac I sold. My friend asked me why I sold it. I said, "Except for the fact it needed an engine, trans, and paint, it was a perfect car!"

Exactly. Paint is new, engine has been removed, machined, rebuilt and reinstalled.....but its really unmolested and untouched otherwise.

Last edited by TK-65; February 27th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
May want to reread his post, here I quoted it for you and highlighted what you apparently missed

Nope, didnt miss it.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:18 PM

The car we are all talking about here has had some stuff done to it -- Stefano CLEARLY stated that in his description. The fact that it is no longer a "Virgin" is apparant and in some ways may be a benefit to the next owner. Why some here want to "argue" with each other about it mystifies me. To find a car of this rarity, with bullet-proof documentation, and being able to purchase it from a well-respected and transparent enthusiast is something that doesn't happen often. I really think we are all "friends" here, so why the bickering about a car that probably won't end up being sold to the ones with the negative comments towards each other? If I didn't have one, and/or if I had more storage space, that car would be in Baltimore, Maryland.
Stefano's asking price, in my opinion, is well within reason. The car's current paint may not be "show" condition, and the chassis might not be detailed to the level of quality and appearance that I like, but how often can you get a turn-key, bona-fide "junior supercar" that shouldn't depreciate?
If a "show-car" is what you seek this is a PERFECT foundation from which to start. If you want to go have some fun, burn some rubber, and maybe be a participant in the Pure Stock drags, this could be your car. Believe me, I HAVE given consideration to buying this car---it really does have a LOT going for it.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
car guy

well said Dave...
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by gearheads78
well said Dave...
X2 As stated by Dave, I too would not kick this car out of my stable if I had room for it. Alas too many projects on my plate as well as putting kids through school and college. Good luck with the sale Stefano as most of us know you are dead on with your asking price
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM

X2 As stated by Dave, I too would not kick this car out of my stable if I had room for it. Alas too many projects on my plate as well as putting kids through school and college. Good luck with the sale Stefano as most of us know you are dead on with your asking price
WE are all bickering about this and about that. But no one asked the question what was done to the motor .Was it replace with the right W-31 cam ? was it bored? what was done to the heads? This motor is what makes this car a W-31. My option this is a very nice orginal driver not a survior a survior is a car that is untouch this car is touch paint ,motor etc.My option the price is a little high just because I know Stefano paid 15k for this car and I know he's got to make a profit that is why he is in business. But now that it's on eBay we will see what this car will really sell for.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
WE are all bickering about this and about that. But no one asked the question what was done to the motor .Was it replace with the right W-31 cam ? was it bored? what was done to the heads? This motor is what makes this car a W-31. My option this is a very nice orginal driver not a survior a survior is a car that is untouch this car is touch paint ,motor etc.My option the price is a little high just because I know Stefano paid 15k for this car and I know he's got to make a profit that is why he is in business. But now that it's on eBay we will see what this car will really sell for.
Your facts are very incorrect. How would you know what I paid for the car?

I didn't see you standing in the nearby cornfields when I paid the original owner for the car.

Whether I paid $5,000.00 or $50,000.00 has no bearing on what the car may
fetch.

The fact is that I thought this was a very special car and I paid up for it. I have much closer to my asking price than the BS price you quoted.

Some people modify their cars to make people think that they have a special car. This is a special w-machine just as it was equipped by Dr. Oldsmobile.

Last edited by Stefano; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Your facts are very incorrect. How would you know what I paid for the car?

I didn't see you standing in the nearby cornfields when I paid the original owner for the car.

Wether I paid $5,000.00 or $50,000.00 has no bearing on what the car may
fetch.

The fact is that I thought this was a very special car and I paid up for it. I have much closer to my asking price than the BS price you quoted.

Some people modify their cars to make people think that they have a special car. This is a special w-machine just as it was equipped by Dr. Oldsmobile.
I know how much you paid because I was going to buy this W-31 from the original owner and you beat me to it. That's all no B.S quote just the facts that all.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
I know how much you paid because I was going to buy this W-31 from the original owner and you beat me to it. That's all no B.S quote just the facts that all.
We'll I guess that you are just the great negotiator, since the price you were able to get over the phone was much less than what I paid, in person.

You had this car bought for $15,000.00 and you passed on it?

Bottom line, you do not know what I paid and the amout that you quoted is false and incorrect, by a large margin.

I do have a bill of sale which shows otherwise.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Where are the moderators? This is the exact reason why no one should be able to post a comment on a for sale thread. Stefano has a car for sale here, a true documented '69 W31 with a four speed and you take it upon yourself to pick a car apart that you aren't interested in buying? Ralleye Kid is right because you are acting just like a KID. Let the man sell his car and go on about your business kid. You too Jasen what do you care about a '69? You guys are showing your age for sure.

I vote from here on that all posts on someone's for sale thread be done away with and any and all questions about said thread be conducted via private message or email.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Senior Moment Member

Now, now. Let the people speak. It's how things get sorted out and people get to know who they are dealing with. Shutting off all discussion is the wrong thing to do. Flame on!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Registered Luser

The discussion and debate is good! Keep in mind though, the guy selling the car is getting raked for nothing he did! He has been up front with everything I can see....and honestly, who cares how much he paid for it! If he wants to ask 100k for it it's his business...if someone steps up, so be it. The market will bear out and either he'll get what he wants, or I'm sure somewhere close....
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm not into #1 restored car scene due to the high value/bad depreciation aspect if it got a fender scrape or door ding. I want to drive it! I like the fact that this is in really good shape and I would drive it and not worry about it. A little underhood and engine detailing and it's ready to go.

If I had the space, I would go after it too. I have to sell my 71 1st otherwise the boss would make me sleep in it. Good luck with the sale, hopefully it finds its way to someone who appreciates it.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Now, now. Let the people speak. It's how things get sorted out and people get to know who they are dealing with. Shutting off all discussion is the wrong thing to do. Flame on!
Sure this is a discussion forum but I believe if there was any discussion to be done about the car it should be done via a different thread in the discussion section of this forum and not on someones for sale thread. You guys are being a bunch of jerks and you know who you are. Lord help if you have something for sale and the tables are turned. Got something to say to me, do it via PM, want to buy this car then send Stefano a PM in that regard. Nuff said now let this man sell his car on HIS for sale thread.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
morgan

I remember why I stopped going to car shows years ago...loved the cars, the owners well...not so much. This car is the real deal judging by docs at a fair price
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Gentlemen, Let's keep this discussion civil Please.

I think we all want our Olds friends to be able to post and sell their cars here without getting into a fight.

If everyone who post a car on this forum for sale get's abused. People will stop posting.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Gentlemen, Let's keep this discussion civil Please.

I think we all want our Olds friends to be able to post and sell their cars here without getting into a fight.

If everyone who post a car on this forum for sale get's abused. People will stop posting.
It's been less civil during Thanksgiving at my house IMO. Nice car. Wish I was in the market. I'm too busy shoveling money into the one I have! I saw this car at the MCACN in Chi. I liked it a lot.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
I remember why I stopped going to car shows years ago...loved the cars, the owners well...not so much. This car is the real deal judging by docs at a fair price

I couldn't pass the opportunity If your going to stop going to car shows in general, block out time for one of the very best.

We try to bring in special cars from all over the country and focus on great history as well as original owners.

The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals / MCACN V this November 23-24 in Rosemont Illinois.

Always a bunch of cool Oldsmobiles. Currently looking for some representation from 1973!
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM

You too Jasen what do you care about a '69? You guys are showing your age for sure.

Give me a break. I never even commented on the car, I just noticed what I noticed. I cant say that here? We have one site that is anything goes and this one that gets all out of shape if someone farts.

Yes, it is annoying when guys comment on for sale items, question price or just flame the owner. I didnt do any of that. Car is what it is, and its not unmolested and untouched. Even guys were calling it a survivor, which Stefano was quick to point out is not the case. I do the same to Steve, now Im being childish.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:41 AM
delete

Great car. Good luck with the sale.
If it was mine, I'd clean it up & drive it.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Give me a break. I never even commented on the car, I just noticed what I noticed. I cant say that here? We have one site that is anything goes and this one that gets all out of shape if someone farts.

Yes, it is annoying when guys comment on for sale items, question price or just flame the owner. I didnt do any of that. Car is what it is, and its not unmolested and untouched. Even guys were calling it a survivor, which Stefano was quick to point out is not the case. I do the same to Steve, now Im being childish.
Your ok in my book TK, Everyone has an opinion, and i repsect yours fully. I seriously mean that.
I never thought this thread would grow so fast, so quick.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:30 PM

If I had the bucks I'd spend 4 dollars on a rattle can for under the hood and drive it like I stole it!! seems like a fair price to me. Few of these cars can be pinned down for what they are "worth." In other words a very wealthy person can spend more money than most on a car like this (that deservedly could go for more than the average 69 Cutlass) only to spend even more on it to fix it up. They would then have 50 - 60k in a car that someone even wealthier than them would pay 70 - 80 for. That's the way it is. You either have to like the car that much or have enough money that it doesn't matter. There are plenty of both kinds of buyers out there.

So I suggest 26 of us from around Chicago pitch in, buy it, get some insurance and each get it for a week during the warm months - I'll even take late October (I bet it runs real good in the cold)
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by StickW31
Your ok in my book TK, Everyone has an opinion, and i repsect yours fully. I seriously mean that.
Back at cha.
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Curious

Stalled out @ $17,600.00 for the past 3 days.

Is someone going to push the bidding over $20K?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item41713973e3

We know it is not going anywhere for $17.6K but does this high bid tell us anything about the car?
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Senior Moment Member

That seems like a bargain to me.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Fyi

That seems like a bargain to me.
Obviously it will not sell at this price. I am sure he could have found many buyers if $17.6k would buy it.....including me.

Update....bidding was stalled for three days but now over $20k....maybe this post got it going again. Looking forward to seeing if it meets reserve.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; March 10th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:40 AM

2 hours left in auction

2 hours to go & bidding is at $22.1K.

Who will step up & take this car to the next level?

The seller has lowered his reserve....but will it be enough?

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; March 12th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM

no sale

Bidding ended $22601.00 with no sale. Shucks!

We'll watch for the relisting.
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
morgan

Yeah i dont get it , if yor willing to put up 22.6 just put uo the 2k or so more and be done with it... Sold its yours
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Hmm, very interesting....
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Heat tube pic as requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969 W31 heat tube resize.jpg (219.0 KB, 67 views)
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Stickw31 said it was untouched and unmolested.
Hey I like the car too, but my only concern is, would putting in an aftermarket a/c diminish the value? Out here in Phoenix, I want/need a car with a/c, or else I dont drive many months out of the year....
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Senior Moment Member

Tough market. I would have sold it, myself. Depends on your situation I guess.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM

relisted

To no surprise the car is relisted on eBay.

Last time it had a buy it now of $26,500.00 and was advertised here in this thread at that price too. It bid to $22,600 & did not sell.

So....now it is relisted with a buy it now of $28,500.00.

That is an interesting marketing stategy. When it does not sell you raise the price....Let's see if it works.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

"That's a bold move cotton, lets see if it works for them"

Jason Baitman- Dodgeball

Quick Reply: 1969 Oldsmobile W-31 4 speed