Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Oldsmobile 98 Coupe, 58k miles

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM

1968 Oldsmobile 98 Coupe, 58k miles

Details of the Car

Located in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area (76040)

Make Oldsmobile
Model 98 Coupe (2 door)
Year 1968
Mileage 58,000
Colour Blue
Engine V8 455 7.5 litre
4 Barrel Carburetter

Excellent Paint
Very good interior
Overhauled suspension (front and rear)
New battery
New Spark Plugs
New Rotor Arm (Distributor)
New High Tension Leads
Electric Seats
Electric Windows
Factory fitted Air Conditioning (not assembled – will need new compressor)
Clean title

Has dent over rear driver side wheel (shown in photos)
Headliner will need repair

Asking for around $8,500 or near offer

If interested, please call me on 817 209 4598

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Slide show of over 50 photos at:

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/Cha...68%20Olds%2098

Thanks for looking

Chas
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:42 PM

I think I might be asking too much for this.

If anyone is interested in making any lower offers, or just some pricing advice, please do so. I wont be offended.

Chas
Old February 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chas,
It's a very good looking land yacht! I'm partial to big cars myself but I think you'll find that they are usually harder to sell. That said, the 2 doors are better sellers than the 4 door models. I know you did suspension work, but did you lower it? Looks like it's riding about 2" low on the back.

A few pieces of trim missing (front wheel opening/front park light lens), but overall looks nice and solid. Fresh paint would be easy to match on that scrape over the wheel skirt. Very interesting choice of interior customized trim and colors. I'd also take the wheels off and spray some undercoat or black paint on the liner so it doesn't show the recent paint job. Someone also dented the rear bumper?? Too bad as it looks mint otherwise.

Best thing to do is scour Hemmings and the Web for similar cars to find a comfort zone with the pricing. With fuel costs up, not a lot of demand for these cars that only get about 9 mpg city and 18 hwy. Luxury to ride in but at a cost.
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:16 PM

Allan,

Thank you very much for some sound advice. I will try and do some of the bits.

Finding the turning light lens is like looking for hen's teeth.

As for the lowered look, yes it does still look lowered but I actually removed the lowering springs and these are the ones that were with the car (in the boot) when I bought. It seems that these are not the factory ones either.

Anyway, sound advice like I said and taken on board.

Thank you very much.

Chas

Last edited by Chas_C; February 21st, 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Remove double blank lines
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Although not a popular car around here, you still may find someone to fall in love. Have you posted it on Craigslist? On price, you have to start somewhere and you can always go down.
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Although not a popular car around here, you still may find someone to fall in love. Have you posted it on Craigslist? On price, you have to start somewhere and you can always go down.
Thanks oldcutlass
I have it on CL and two other sites
Thanks again
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chas_C
I think I might be asking too much for this.
Time to listen to your head instead of your heart, eh?

The latest (February 2014) issue of the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '68 98 2-door hardtop in "car show" (#3) condition at about $7,600. With a dented fender and missing trim pieces, your car is not in this condition.

The next level down is #4, "runs and drives but needs complete restoration," and the value listed is $3,400. Your car is in much better shape than this, so these two values, if you go with this source at all, put upper and lower limits on what your car is worth. Based on these, I would say your car's value is perhaps between $6,000 and $7,000.

Your asking price of $8,500 is probably wishful thinking if you think you'll end up there, but it's probably not a bad starting price for a new ad. You've had the car listed, at least on this thread, for only a week, which is far to soon, in my opinion, to be panicking. But if two or three months go by and you get no nibbles, you might think about dropping the price by $500 or $1,000 and see what level starts to generate interest.

It, of course, also depends on how quickly you want the car sold. If you want top dollar for it, you may have to advertise for a while. If you're willing to price it aggressively, you could have it gone in a month or two.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 24th, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Chas,
I do agree with Dan in his comments about the logistics of selling and setting a price point. I just thought of something I felt you might also need to take into consideration; if you haven't done so already.

Your initial ask is 8500.00 and as noted, appears to be somewhat on the high side given the market (desirability and willing buyers). I'm only guessing here, but is the price point is set because of the extra work (body/paint/trim polish/custom interior/suspension etc) costs involved? I understand it costs $$$ to do all the things you've done, but unfortunately the direct costs of those features doesn't increase the cars value by the same amount. Some of the custom work is to your taste, but may not be to the buyers?

IMO, Eric and Dan have given you some great start points on possibly rethinking how you wish to approach this sale. The last thing, which all of us ascribe to, is also something you know will be true at the time of sale: It's only going to sell for what a buyer is willing to stroke a check for, or hand over in cash. We all look for the best value for $ spent without beating the heck out of someone to get a good deal.

A last point: if you can 'detail' the engine compartment and/or under carriage, that might also positively influence buyers. Seeing the accumulated dirt and grime when the hood is open, or on the frame/floor pans underneath of what appears to be a gorgeous car can influence a buyer to question the extent maintenance was done to the car or whether the value of the car is based only on cosmetics?? If you look at used car sales, this is one of the first things that's always done to complete the 'freshening' process. You can do it yourself, or have a professional shop do it for relatively low $. That cost is like remodelling a kitchen or bathroom - it pays off big time IMO.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
if you can 'detail' the engine compartment and/or under carriage, that might also positively influence buyers
I posted my comments above before looking at the photo album. The car has additional issues as you note, including a dirty engine compartment, broken turn signal light, and a dented fender, that would further depress the value.

The customized interior, as beautifully done as it is, definitely can cut either way in the mind of a buyer. I also think that customization like this tends to render price guides more or less moot as the value of a customized car is impossible to predict. Some will love it. Others won't. But the problem is that there is no standard to which to compare it as there is for a car that is striving for originality, which is what the price guides use as a basis.

As noted, the best advice is to put up a starting price and then gradually lower it until interest is generated.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Everyone over tightened those turning/parking lights and they spider webbed then broke. I parted a couple 98's out about 15 years ago. I had a pair of NOS but I sold them 10 years ago. I still have the long screws and gaskets if you need them. I thought about selling my grey one a couple years ago. My actual selling price would have been 7K, no less. It has a desirable strong running 1967 400 engine in it. That's why I was firm on the price. I've had offers on both my 98's (a house, vehicles twice, by urban gentlemen) but I wasn't selling at the time. If I really wanted to sell I'd go down to the local town courthouse square and park it with for sale signs while I had a picnic lunch with my Daughter the Attorney. Her office is across from the park. Having the court and jail nearby means lots of potential buyers, just saying.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:25 AM

NOW SOLD

Chas

Last edited by Chas_C; April 5th, 2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Sold