Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1956 Super 88 Cheap

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2019, 02:07 PM

1956 Super 88 Cheap

OHi all, so I found this real solid 88.
I'm not so much of an "Oldsmobile guy" as I am a "Leadsled guy"...
A car this solid is a rarity, I have no issues with cutting it up though.
You may want to save this one from my saw.

ebay listing> CLICK HERE to see listing

It's located in Southern California, it does not run, non-op, clean title, $10k or OBO), the rest of the dirty details are in the listing.
Thanks for looking & good luck

Old September 6th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Please don't cut that one up. That is some great sheet metal. That would be a great car to restomod. If I had it that is what I would do. Of course it would be Olds powered.
Old September 7th, 2019, 09:14 AM

I know right, it would be such a shame. Starting with something a little rusty, or at least incomplete would make me feel a little better for sure.
I simply stumbled across it & It's too solid to walk away from.
Someone will grab it. $3,500 cars usually need $20,000+ in rust repair. It's a good head start for a serious builder.
Old September 7th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Why even resto mod it? The engine is there and complete. This car is excellent.
Old September 7th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Its NOT a 56 Olds for sale Cheap, its dropping a link to Ebay for bidders to participate in a bidding war. The bidding price starts at $3500.
Old September 7th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Frank Ignachuck

That's a really nice project car from what I can see. $3500. is the best you're going to get for it.
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Why even resto mod it? The engine is there and complete. This car is excellent.
Maybe the resto mod market is better ? Seems like it is with some cars.
To each his own I say...it'll be their car, they are free to do with it as they wish. It would look amazing stock, but I personally have no qualms about customization.
(To be fair, some do get messed up)

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Its NOT a 56 Olds for sale Cheap, its dropping a link to Ebay for bidders to participate in a bidding war. The bidding price starts at $3500.
Not a big seller then ? A bidding war sounds like exactly what it needs.
If a car sells first go around, it's usually 1 bidder. I'd love to put a classified ad up, but I have more pressing issues than negotiating with wishful thinkers all day.

Originally Posted by ignachuck
That's a really nice project car from what I can see. $3500. is the best you're going to get for it.
Yep, yer right on both counts. I still make money...a fair chunk too.

Y'all are welcome to make offers. I get that's why this is here...
I'd rather you bid if possible. I pay eBay a percentage to keep the transaction safe for both the buyer, and the seller.
There are some shady characters in this business...in case you haven't noticed

Last edited by Dumped_Skeg; September 9th, 2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old September 9th, 2019, 01:24 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Dude! Cut it up, paint flat black and then throw a mexican blanket on the seat and it should be worth $11k! Post pics of the process. This is going to be radical!
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by bry593
Dude! Cut it up, paint flat black and then throw a mexican blanket on the seat and it should be worth $11k! Post pics of the process. This is going to be radical!
6" chop, sectioned 4"...New listing ! ALL CUTTING DONE! you weld it back together.
They say...cutting is the hard part, right ?

--Oh, it says 10k huh ? funny
I'm poor, I need money !
$3500 gets me the next car, but it's a beater. Looks like some tweaker had it for a while, it'll need some input.
I'll tell you what I told Eric. On a decent day, this car should fetch 5k & I honestly believe the buyer will be too busy gawking over the floors in this thing to remember what it cost.
I've done so much rust repair, I finally just moved where the cars are solid. This one happens to be surplus. If I had more indoor workspace / less projects, it wouldn't be for sale.

For real though. You know what it costs to build one, you generally lose money, right ? Starting this solid might mean you actually make money by skipping all that metal work.

Stuff up here is stupid solid & there doesn't seem to be a shortage.
Found this a little bit ago. Another one too solid to let sit. I did well on it. Would have rather built it though. Short wheelbase

Last edited by Dumped_Skeg; September 9th, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:54 AM
1968 442 Convertible

At $3500 this is a pretty good deal. Like you said, better to start with as rust free as possible and this looks the part. Unfortunately I have a whole stable full and no room for one more.
Old September 10th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dumped_Skeg
Hi all, so I found this real solid 88. I'm not so much of an "Oldsmobile guy" as I am a "Leadsled guy"...
A car this solid is a rarity, I have no issues with cutting it up though. You may want to save this one from my saw.
ebay listing> CLICK HERE to see listing
It's located in Southern California, it does not run, non-op, clean title, $10k or OB), the rest of the dirty details are in the listing.
Thanks for looking & good luck
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Maybe the resto mod market is better ? Seems like it is with some cars. To each his own I say...it'll be their car, they are free to do with it as they wish. It would look amazing stock, but I personally have no qualms about customization. (To be fair, some do get messed up)
Not a big seller then ? A bidding war sounds like exactly what it needs.
If a car sells first go around, it's usually 1 bidder. I'd love to put a classified ad up, but I have more pressing issues than negotiating with wishful thinkers all day.
Yep, yer right on both counts. I still make money...a fair chunk too.
Y'all are welcome to make offers. I get that's why this is here...
I'd rather you bid if possible. I pay eBay a percentage to keep the transaction safe for both the buyer, and the seller.
There are some shady characters in this business...in case you haven't noticed
Originally Posted by bry593
At $3500 this is a pretty good deal. Like you said, better to start with as rust free as possible and this looks the part. Unfortunately I have a whole stable full and no room for one more.
$3500 is not the selling price....its the minimum bid.
Old September 10th, 2019, 03:38 PM

$3500 is not the selling price....its the minimum bid. X2 and I would not go much more. It's an Olds we know that, not a 56 Cheby...
Old September 10th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think he said he would take $3500 for it. Where does the 56 Chevy come in? I just corrected my transposed numbers from 65 to 56. Sorry guys.

Last edited by redoldsman; September 10th, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old September 10th, 2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
$3500 is not the selling price....its the minimum bid. X2 and I would not go much more. It's an Olds we know that, not a 56 Cheby...
It's a fair start price, right ? I saw a 57 2 door Bel Air in a little worse condition, but I would have had to go in debt $3k & there wasn't a lot of meat on the bone.
Dude that sold me this car is super cool. He knew my plan & knows I'm broke, so he left some meat on it.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think he said he would take $3500 for it. Where does the 65 Chevy come in?
I may HAVE to take $3500. That's the gamble I take by listing it this way. I'd pull the listing for $5k cash though. I think that's fair money. Come by & look at it if you want. I'm in Apple Valley, CA.
I think he's just saying the Chevy is worth more than the Olds...Odd, right ? Olds was just below Buick & just above Chevy, yet they draw the short straw.
On the off chance I end up building it, you'd never know it's an Olds by looking at it. You'd know it's GM, but that's about it.

Here is that link to the Bel Air in case anyone is interested... https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...965500869.html

Last edited by Dumped_Skeg; September 10th, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old September 10th, 2019, 05:39 PM

56 (not 65) like in Belair's, 210's. Worth a lot more than an Olds even if its in worse condition-the end result, is what the collector market desires.
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
56 (not 65) like in Belair's, 210's. Worth a lot more than an Olds even if its in worse condition-the end result, is what the collector market desires.
Right, that car is big money just in parts. The collector market isn't a very good indicator of a car's value though.
Collectors don't know righty tighty, lefty loosy.
You guys build cars, you know what's going on.
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

To put the original GM pecking order correctly, I think Buick and Olds were on the same level right below Cadillac. Chevy was at the bottom with Pontiac right above it. TriFive Chevys are always going to more popular than any other car from the fifties. It is what the market is. Somebody buying this car will realize how much they are saving in body work. It is your car and you can cut it up if you want but that would be a big mistake in my opinion. Good luck with the sale.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:38 PM

To put the original GM pecking order correctly, I think Buick and Olds were on the same level right below Cadillac. Chevy was at the bottom with Pontiac right above it. TriFive Chevys are always going to more popular than any other car from the fifties. It is what the market is. Somebody buying this car will realize how much they are saving in body work. It is your car and you can cut it up if you want but that would be a big mistake in my opinion. Good luck with the sale.
Ahh, Ok. Buicks fetch so much more these days (and GM saved it from the chopping block) I figured it was a notch above.
Yeah, I really hope so. I see 'rust free' cars with fist sized holes in the floor on eBay...hopefully a couple people recognize what this is & go crazy bidding.

If I build it, I would have no choice but to cut it. I'm in no way trying to be facetious, I just love metalwork & can't leave anything alone.
That episode of 'Full Custom Garage' with Ian's chopped & bagged '55 (the blue one) is what pushed me to buy this.
I personally think it looks goofy as tall as it is.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Hi again all...so I just received an official looking email (on Sept. 11th) with the message...
((I'm closing this thread. Per the forum rules threads in the "For Sale" forum need to have a price listed. We aren't Ebay.))

I'm assuming by the way it reads & is titled --Reply to thread '1956 Super 88 Cheap'-- it was posted here, then deleted ???
I've already done this last weekend. The ad was pulled for 3 days.
THE PRICE TO BUY THE AUCTION IS $5,000 !
Please do not pull the ad again, Thank You

Anybody have Bad Chad's email ? xD

Last edited by Dumped_Skeg; September 12th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 10:03 PM

What if I do a gasser ?
I wouldn't need to chop it if I do a gasser xD

Old September 15th, 2019, 10:40 AM

What if I do a gasser ?
I wouldn't need to chop it if I do a gasser xD

That’s RAD!
Old September 15th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It looks like your thread was reopened.
Old September 15th, 2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gofishgobig
That’s RAD!
I know, right. I mean I was basically joking when I posted that, but what a good looking car.
I like it a lot too. There are plenty of '55 Chevy & Henry J Gassers, the only Olds bodied cars I remember seeing were the altereds in the 60s-70s & those funky Achieva dragsters from the '90s.
That's a pretty unique piece if you ask me.
That car on its best day might only see $40k though.
Nice lead sleds seem to pull around twice that, but we're talking the difference between maybe 40-60 hrs of metal work with the Gasser to well over 500hrs with a Lead Sled.
Don't worry, I WON'T be cutting the car. There are 4 cars ahead of it in the que, with another entering the lineup in about a month.
It'll be at least a year before I start thinking about adding another serious project. This car will be long gone by then.

It looks like your thread was reopened.
Awesome ! Was it taken down a second time ? I've been too busy to check. (trying to expand my workspace my a mere 200sq.ft. & it's costing me a fortune in supplies)
In either case, it's up, the auction is ticking down to it's final moments & ... ZERO bids. I see a relisting in my future.
C'mon y'all, help me pay for the materials & get this cartoonishly dry Olds to boot. Seriously, you'll feel like you stole it & I won't mind.
Old September 15th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fortunately (for me) I am too far away and have no place to put that car or I would be a buyer. I have a 57 Chevy that I have had for a very very long time (51 years) that I will start on next year. At 73, it is the last one I will be doing.
Old September 15th, 2019, 04:43 PM

Fortunately (for me) I am too far away and have no place to put that car or I would be a buyer. I have a 57 Chevy that I have had for a very very long time (51 years) that I will start on next year. At 73, it is the last one I will be doing.
That's awesome ! I may have to work from a wheelchair at some point, but I don't think I can give it up.

Someday someone will find a skeleton hunched over a bubbly old car with a MIG gun in one hand & a joint in the other.
If you find said skeleton, please leave it be...it's thinking of a way out of this trap.
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:11 PM

Here's an idea...chances are some of you are in the shipping industry & have access to something I need.
Something surplus, you no longer have a use for...
I'm hunting the extremely common 24.5" hub mount Alcoas for my hauler.
I'm in the market for low pro HD tires too...the kind on a late model school bus.
Trade it straight across for a road ready set of 6

Last edited by Dumped_Skeg; September 15th, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old September 17th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Sorry for the bump...I have legitimate news though.
I knocked the price down to $4000
Figured if I were going to build that Gasser & were hunting for a car for that specific purpose, $4k would be where I'd feel comfortable as a buyer.
...Especially not knowing if that engine can be fixed.

Anyway, thanks for your time guys. It can still be snagged at like 3500...the new auction ends on Sunday (the 22nd)
Old October 20th, 2019, 01:12 AM

Aight boys & girls, she's apparently sold & the deposit is on it's way.
For anyone interested in the amount, I ended up getting the $4k I think is fair.
I believe the buyer is as happy with the deal as I & that's what really matters.

This was my first time messing with an Olds, I learned a lot...primarily, stick to Buicks & Caddys. xD
Kidding, if I could do the same thing 10 times over I would.

Until next time folks
Old October 20th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Aight boys & girls, she's apparently sold & the deposit is on it's way.
For anyone interested in the amount, I ended up getting the $4k I think is fair.
I believe the buyer is as happy with the deal as I & that's what really matters.

This was my first time messing with an Olds, I learned a lot...primarily, stick to Buicks & Caddys. xD
Kidding, if I could do the same thing 10 times over I would.

Until next time folks
Congratulations!🍻