Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Spic and Span

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM

Arrow Spic and Span

Does anyone have any specific product that they use to clean a convertable top in our case it is white; there is a cleaner at Wally World for RV awnings that I am considering using. I have used Javex bleach in the past but am starting to succumb to chemical overload...
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I don't have a convertable top but I use "greased lightning" to clean things like that. Works pretty good in getting down to the grain but is not too harsh.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:08 AM

Thumbs up Rub-a-dub

Thanks, if I can find that stuff I will give it a try and report back...
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Registered

Be careful, anything caustic can eat away the threads and dry out or damage the material or fabric.
I've done mine once in 15 years, the one time I washed the car, hate getting it wet for no good reason.
I used this stuff, black top so not sure how it would do on white but they say it gets out the stains and stuff.

http://www.properautocare.com/ragclean.html
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM

Unhappy Stubborn stains

We've tried that Ragg Topp stuff and it didn't do what I thought it should... that is when I scrub and scrub and rinse and wipe dry it should be clean but alas it is still dirty and grey ...I used Javex on a convert that I had bought that sat outside for a few years and the white top was almost black...the bleach made it sparkling white...but I don't want to use bleach again for those detrimental reasons...I couldn't find any Greased Lightning so I went to Wally World and bought Full Timer's Choice, RV awning cleaner and tried it on my spare roof that I bought from a wreckers over ten years ago...worked well on the test spot, but on my daughters roof it did not take out the dark rub stains that happens when the top is folded down so we are still looking...
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used Raggtop on a cloth top and it worked very well. I used the treatment to seal it with and it was very good. It ain't cheap. One thing I used years ago was Wesley's whitewall tire cleaner. I don't think it hurt the paint. Try with caution. It is available at any parts store and it is cheap.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Just A BaBy {:

kirby {:
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM

If it's vinyl and not cloth I would do it the same way I used to clean my '70 Toro GT's pearl white interior. Spray it down with wesleys bleach white then hit it with a hot soapy mit and hose it off.
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Wesley's Bleach White would surely work well. Like others said though, it might damage the convertible top. Have you tried Simple Green? It is a great cleaner and isn't toxic.
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Formula 303. Located at Marine suppliers.
Some Auto parts stores carry it too.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
"me somebody" site member

Yellowstatute, a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while...does your user name derive from a joke about some rich Italian guy who tells his contractor he wants a yellow statue in every room of his house, and when the guy finally is able to comply with this wish, he tells him "nooo, I meana a telphona (y'ellow? s'dat you?).

I have a knack for remembering jokes and where I first heard them, and beleive I read this one in the boy scout magazine "Boy's Life" circa summer 1977.
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
but on my daughters roof it did not take out the dark rub stains that happens when the top is folded down so we are still looking...
=================================

If those stains are ground into the fabric in some way, there may be permanent damage and no matter you do, there may be no resolve.

If this proves out and you feel there is nothing to loose, you may want to use and scrub with a more caustic substance like the Bleach White, then rinse to neutralize right away, dry and apply 303 Protectant (can be purchased at a marine supply store - but it's not cheap). Also age and strength of the conv. top material needs to be considered before hand. Keep trying on a test spot first.

Good luck.
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Which cleaners are better on the Black tops? I really don't much like the idea of bleaching my black top.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
BobsW32

Formula 303 THE BEST STUFF I EVER USED
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Does anyone have any specific product that they use to clean a convertable top in our case it is white; there is a cleaner at Wally World for RV awnings that I am considering using. I have used Javex bleach in the past but am starting to succumb to chemical overload...
You're so close with that spic and span quote. Try liquid tide and hot water. Let it soak in, scrub with a soft brush and rinse. Might have to do 2 cleanings, but this works for most fabrics that need cleaning, including seat belts. Goes without saying that you shouldn't do this in direct sun. With seat belts, it's better if you can take them out and soak them in the hot water/tide for about 1/2 hour, then scrub and rinse really well.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

Or, what about those new oxygenated cleaners that are out now? They may be less harsh on fabric than the bleach based ones....
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Or, what about those new oxygenated cleaners that are out now?
You mean Oxy Clean? That might work well. Afterall, Billy Mays did advertise for them... God rest his soul.
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Cool Moniker

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Yellowstatute, a bit off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while...does your user name derive from a joke about some rich Italian guy who tells his contractor he wants a yellow statue in every room of his house, and when the guy finally is able to comply with this wish, he tells him "nooo, I meana a telphona (y'ellow? s'dat you?).

I have a knack for remembering jokes and where I first heard them, and beleive I read this one in the boy scout magazine "Boy's Life" circa summer 1977.
It is about a telephone but not about an Italian...I am trying to remember what the heck the joke actually was...I keep misfiling my notes...
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM

Thumbs up On topic

We finally got some Wesely's cleaner last August when we went to Woodward Cruise, but we haven't had a chance to try it on the roof yet...I used it on the wide whites on the '57 a few days ago and it worked great but they weren't too dirty now if I can just get the Muskrat to put her top up we can do a test run now that the cooler weather is here...