Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Outside power door mirror

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Outside power door mirror

Can the remote outside door mirror for a 69 A body be disassembled, the outer housing painted/powder coated, and then reassembled? I am tired of the door mirror moving when hitting a bump in the road, or even closing the door. This is the second reproduction mirror I have installed over the years, they all get loose eventually.

I have looked, nobody is reproducing the remote mirrors. If anyone knows of a vender, let me know!!!
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:37 PM

I just had mine rechromed. Most of the vendors were afraid of breaking the plastic ball and would not touch it unless I tore it down. One vendor said I would have to heat it up and press the chrome cap off the ball to tear it down. I finally found a vendor that would tear it down. Upon picking up the mirror I felt like a dumb *** when he showed me all I had to do was unscrew the **** from the plastic ball and the cap would come off. Make sure you mark which cable goes to each slot in the ball or it will take some time to figure that out when the mirror moves the wrong direction. Just use some needle nose plyers to remove the cables from the spring loaded ball.

Noel
Old September 23rd, 2019, 05:02 PM

Who did the chrome? I have a buddy (oldspackrat) that has a decent mirror, but it does have some pitting. Really sucks that nobody is reproducing them, sucks even more that the parts being reproduce wear out in a fraction of the time of the originals. Especially considering the limited use that today’s hobby cars get. Most aren’t being used as daily drivers anymore
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:10 PM

Lakeside Custom Plating, Inc.
373 Commerce Street
Conneaut, Ohio 44030
Trevor McBride
Phone: (440) 599-2035
www.customchromerestoration.com

They charged me $150.00 for the mirror, and it was a very professional show job. And it does suck that nobody makes a passenger side mirror that matches the looks of the driver's mirror.

Noel