Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Reference for car

Old February 11th, 2016, 07:04 PM

Reference for car

I'm looking to buy a 1970 442 convertible with ac. I am willing to pay a reasonable price for a good car. I have found a couple but is there any way I can check the sellers reference. One person told me to watch out, but I don't know firsthand. I really don't want to incur the traveling expense if I'm the last one to know the seller is not reputable. I will appreciate any ideas.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Lansing built

I would either hire on an appraisal service or if any of our members are close enough have them check it out for you!

Sellers and pictures can not be reliable! Judge the car on it's own.

Pat
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Why is this a buyer seller feed back guys? Shouldn't this be in general!
Old February 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM

Still after the undocumented W30 on e-Bay?

I guess you will keep asking the question until you get the answer you are looking for.

Do your self a favor and either:

Travel and look at it

-OR-

Pay an appraiser to look at it.

My prediction is if you do neither, it will be an expensive mistake.
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
is there any way I can check the sellers reference.
You're kidding, right?

How could there possibly be any kind of place to "check references" on a seller? There's no database. There's no requirement that a seller post his references anywhere. There's no requirement that a seller even HAVE references. It's a jungle out there.

You could, of course, ask him, but if this is just a private party and not a dealer, he might not have anyone to whom he has recently sold a car who you could check with.

Buying a used car, especially from private seller, is what it always has been. Caveat emptor. Buyer beware. As has been noted, do your homework. Check the car yourself or have someone knowledgeable and whom you trust check it for you. Don't assume anything that the buyer says is true.
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Why is this a buyer seller feed back guys? Shouldn't this be in general!
Who the hell cares? It's close enough in my book.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:20 PM

I asked only because there may be a dealer known to stay away from and didn't want to put the sellers name all over the internet. I've seen pictures and felt someone might know of his reputation. To be clear, of course I'll travel to look at the car before buying. But the more information the better. If someone were to ask me for a reference, and I had specific information, positive or negative, I would be more than happy to help. Lighten up.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM

I asked only because there may be a dealer known to stay away from
Your first post didn't say the seller was a dealer, and in fact it's still not clear if he is or not. If he IS a dealer, then, yes, there's a place you can check on him. It's called the Better Business Bureau.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Isn't it possible that a few members bought a car from a dealer and had a rotten experience. I would like to know that which is why I asked.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:28 PM

Advertises in JWO magazine
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:30 PM

Isn't it possible that a few members bought a car from a dealer and had a rotten experience.
Of course it is. But so what? If you don't say WHICH dealer you're concerned about, what's the point? The world is full of people who have had good and bad experiences with both private sellers and dealers. If all you want to know is if this has ever happened, then, yes, I assure you that there are people out there who have had a bad experience buying a car from a dealer. There. Feel better?

The world is full of dealers who exhibit good business practices, and there are dealers who make rotten apples look good.

Now, if you would provide a little more information instead of this generic "has anyone ever had a bad experience with a dealer before," maybe someone could actually help you.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM

Advertises in JWO magazine
This is helpful.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Look, I don't mean to pick on you (too much), but your original question, as asked, really is pretty silly. "Has anyone ever had a bad experience buying from a dealer," which is what your question boils down to (although you never actually use the word "dealer" in your original post and we had to pry that information out of you later), is meaningless. Of course someone has.

A dealer is a business, and there is no harm nor crime in naming the business that you're considering doing business with. People ask that question all the time about buying anything, whether it's a car, a home builder, a boat, a roof repair, you name it. And as I said, if this seller is doing business somewhere, check with the BBB in that area. It's easy to do online.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Bob Anderson out of Tampa, Florida. Advertises parts ans cars in JWO Magazine. I hope that info helps. Has anyone had a horrible experience with this dealer?? There you go.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:01 PM

And show me where I asked " Has anyone ever had a bad experience buying from a dealer"? Where did I write that statement??
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:19 PM

You mean this guy?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...2/1557211.html

He's mentioned in this thread from 2009 on this site as well.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-cleaner.html

He has an auto parts store in Tampa.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I have actually read about this fellow in an article at Wild About Cars. I'm not sure you can see the article at this link unless you register.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990406764921

In any event, based on the comments in both the earlier thread on this site, which was basically an endorsement of him by one of this site's moderators, and the mention at Wild About Cars, which is a respectable site, I would have every reason to believe that he is a reputable dealer and that you would do fine in dealing with him.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:23 PM

And show me where I asked " Has anyone ever had a bad experience buying from a dealer"? Where did I write that statement??
You said this:

Isn't it possible that a few members bought a car from a dealer and had a rotten experience. I would like to know that which is why I asked.
OK, you didn't say "bad" experience, you said "rotten" experience. So sue me.
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Who the hell cares? It's close enough in my book.
Read the rules for the forum! Two threads here need to be moved this one for sure !Kind of a smart azz responce from you! I don't see where your reply was was needed!
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Read the rules for the forum! Two threads here need to be moved this one for sure !
This is YOUR opinion. It is not mine. This is a forum about buyer and seller feedback. The OP is asking for anyone's experience with a particular seller. Seems like a very appropriate place for his question. It's certainly way more appropriate than the "general" forum.
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is YOUR opinion. It is not mine. This is a forum about buyer and seller feedback. The OP is asking for anyone's experience with a particular seller. Seems like a very appropriate place for his question. It's certainly way more appropriate than the "general" forum.
Again you didn't read the rules.I didn't make the rules. They are posted!
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:57 AM

"Who the h... cares ? It's close enough in my book". Is not a response written by Twilightblue28A
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Again you didn't read the rules.I didn't make the rules. They are posted!
How is this any skin off your nose, anyway?
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:46 AM

"Who the h... cares ? It's close enough in my book". Is not a response written by Twilightblue28A
Who said it was?
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Olds Fever

Bob Anderson out of Tampa, Florida. Advertises parts ans cars in JWO Magazine. I hope that info helps. Has anyone had a horrible experience with this dealer?? There you go.
I have had dealings with Bob on several occasions and never been disappointed... He usually attends most Olds National Swap Meets, at least he has been at everyone that I attended (15 or 16) since 1992... He might have one of the largest selection of used Oldsmobiles in the southeast...
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:50 AM

To wr1970: I received your message regarding removing the post "Who the he.. cares? It's close enough in my book". This response was not written by Twilightblue28A." Also, you refer to this response as a "smart azz response ".....and that you "don't see where" my "reply was needed." This flows from the original response "close enough."..."Who the H... cares." This was not written by Twilightblue28A. I try not to write anything disrespectful. I value this site and the knowledge it offers. Thank You, Twilightblue28A
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:04 AM

TO wr1970: I just received another warning for another quote "How is this any skin off your nose, anyway"? This too, was not written by Twilightblue28A. Please check who is writing these comments and please direct rule violations to the author and responsible parties. I am not on this post to start trouble or to be disrespectful. Again, I value the knowledge I give and receive from this site. Thank you, Twilightblue
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:28 PM

TO wr1970: I just received another warning for another quote "How is this any skin off your nose, anyway"? This too, was not written by Twilightblue28A. Please check who is writing these comments and please direct rule violations to the author and responsible parties. I am not on this post to start trouble or to be disrespectful. Again, I value the knowledge I give and receive from this site. Thank you, Twilightblue
I never sent you any pm's so maybe you should ask this question to the mods. I received one pm from you. I didn't answer it because i wanted to see what was posted in this thread after my post. I think the mod should modify this thread or delete it period as it is not by the rules as posted by the mods.Who is warning you?