Power steering pump: how full is full?

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM

Power steering pump: how full is full?

Straightforward question for ya'll:

My Dad and I were giving my car its bi-annual lube and checkup on the weekend, and I took a peek at the power steering reservoir. Here's what is looked like:

What you're seeing here, is that the fluid doesn't quite cover the top of the pump assembly.

I wondered if that was the normal level, so I checked the service manual to see what it recommended. Here's what is says:
Check lubricant level in pump reservoir at each engine oil change interval. Maintain lubricant level with GM Power Steering Fluid, Part No. 1050017. If this lubricant is not available, use Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A "AQ-ATF . . . A."
Capacities of the power steering units are:
Complete System: 1 3/4 quarts
Pump Assembly: 1 quart
Since I am not planning on draining or disassembling the pump, those numbers do not help me. So, how full is the reservoir supposed to be, visually?

As always, thanks for your advice.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM

The cap should have a mark. If it doesn't I would drain the pump and refill it with 1 quart of fluid. You could always replace the low pressure hose at that time, and give the high pressure hose a good cleaning. BTW, is that picture taken with the engine running? It doesn't look too low to me, but if the pump cavitates it could be damaged. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Oldsdruid

Oldsmobiles didn't use the dipstick type PS reservoir cap until 1968 so you really can't go by that. On these cars I generally fill it to the bottom of the standpipe COLD, then drive the car 10 miles or so and check it again- PS fluid expands as it gets hot. Level should be about 3/4" higher hot.

You also don't want the level too high, otherwise the fluid will aerate and cause problems, not to mention it will expand out the cap and make a large mess. Long as the pump element is covered, and the power assist feels good and you have no squalling, you should be good.

Power steering fluid is my first choice for this and convertible top pumps, but Dexron ATF works OK too- it just has the red dye in it.

Draining and flushing the system periodically isn't really a bad idea. PS systems get hot same as an AT and burnt PS fluid smells the same as burnt AT fluid.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM

By "cap", do you mean the thing that I took off in order to take the picture? If so, then that just had a warning about using the right fluid. The vertical distance between the bottom of the cap and the top of the fluid level is about 2 inches.

The car was not running at that moment. I had just returned from a 120-mile trip though, so it was quite hot. I turned the car off, got out my camera, opened the hood, removed the reservoir cap, and snapped the picture.

FYI, the car is a 1966 Oldsmobile Starfire. The power steering functions perfectly, as far as I can tell.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM

Put a little more in just about up to the ring you see at the bottom of the neck. That's where I keep mine at.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM

Frankly, I wasn't expecting this fast of a response.

I get 3 responses within one hour, in the middle of a weekday. Don't you people have jobs to do?
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM

Nope, been laid off since the beginning of June. Layoffs are common in my trade.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mister
Frankly, I wasn't expecting this fast of a response.

I get 3 responses within one hour, in the middle of a weekday. Don't you people have jobs to do?
I got a chuckle out of this comment because it illustrates how an individual would view things from a personal perspective ie: I work Monday through Friday, so therefore everyone else must or if they don't then they must not work because they have all this free time to post on the computer. In reality, some people on here are retired, some are disabled, some work a different work schedule, some are self employed and can respond, some can spend time on the computer in their workplace without fear of reprecussion, etc. etc.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM

PS fluid replaced

Just an update: we finally replaced the power steering fluid this weekend, and filled it back up so that it just covered the pump assembly you see in the top picture.

The fluid coming out was the color of Coca-Cola. The fluid we put in was almost transparent.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass
Nope, been laid off since the beginning of June. Layoffs are common in my trade.
A club to which I belong, and seems to be getting more members, unfortunately.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 442garage
I got a chuckle out of this comment because it illustrates how an individual would view things from a personal perspective
some can spend time on the computer in their workplace without fear of reprecussion, etc. etc.
Me to... Keep in mind there are many hundreds of members, here, too - in all time zones across the world.
I fit the bottom reason. I am on the PC all day at work, so i can easily check in and answer posts. My work group here is not sociable, so this is my day's socializing while on the job... Talking / thinking Olds helps the mind too!

Originally Posted by Mister
Just an update: we finally replaced the power steering fluid this weekend, and filled it back up so that it just covered the pump assembly you see in the top picture.

The fluid coming out was the color of Coca-Cola. The fluid we put in was almost transparent.
Sounds like it was overdue for a fluid change. That dark crap was probably dirt, moisture, rubber seal residue, etc.
Same thing happens to brake fluid - it is good to flush it every so many years, too.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Past Administrator

Same group as you Rob. I have to check on the site often and feel guilty when I do not on the weekends (winter-hibernating, summer-working on car).

by the way Mister, nice to hear from you again, haven't noticed any posts from you in about half a year.