Rear brake shoe part number needed for 66 Ninety-Eight!

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Rear brake shoe part number needed for 66 Ninety-Eight!

Good evening to the group! First a quick update: Projects are slowly going forth on our 1966 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. Front suspension bushings are being replaced, fortunately all other front end parts are tight! We seem to have the front brake shoe part number found, (260PG Raybestos), a case of the MAW's, and the secondary shoes are cracked as seen in the pictures. The problem is, we wish to change out, or at least have if they are needed, rear brake shoes. Many list an 11 X 2 - inch rear shoe, including Rock Auto. The service manual says the car takes an 11 X 2.5 - inch wide shoe for the Ninety-Eight series, probably because of the vehicles added bulk over an 88 of same year. Does anybody out in the group know the rear shoe part number? It would be much appreciated. Or, if not available, can the front 2.75 shoes fit on the rear, maybe a dumb question, but a question none-the-less! Thanking all in advance, regards, Howie.

Right front primary shoe

Right front secondary shoe
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

RockAuto also lists rear brake shoes for a 1966 Olds Ninety Eight wagon...

The factory part number for the rear shoes is 5467466. If you search that number in Google, you find several vendors who have them. Craig at Mobileparts can also fix you up.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
RockAuto also lists rear brake shoes for a 1966 Olds Ninety Eight wagon...

The factory part number for the rear shoes is 5467466. If you search that number in Google, you find several vendors who have them. Craig at Mobileparts can also fix you up.
Thanks very much Joe! Leave it to you to have the answer. Yes I rolled my eyes when I saw Ninety-Eight wagon. With the number I will search, but will look up Craig at Mobile Parts. Much appreciated!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:25 PM

Give me a call, indeed.....

The front shoes is the # 260 brake shoe ---- 11" x 2 3/4" (or 2.75");
The Rear Shoes are the # 262 brake shoe ---- 11" x 2" (or 2.00");
and DO NOT ---- repeat DO NOT --- buy this new-fangled stuff, it is WAY TOO rough --- and will RUIN your BRAKE DRUMS!!!!!!!!!! (NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!)

You MUST use N.O.S. ++ ASBESTOS ++ which has been outlawed here in the U.S.A. for 27 years and in Canada for 12 - 15 years......

Fortunately, it is NOT ILLEGAL for us to transact on it -- the N.O.S. were manufactured before the statutes..... so they ARE LEGAL..... The only problem is FINDING IT these days!!!!!

But, I do have 2 or 3 sets of Fronts right now, and 3 or 4 sets of Rears presently......

If you can call the U.S.A. for free -- you are welcome to call me anytime -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 .... West Hempstead, Long Island, New York.

And, thanx again, Joe P., hope you both had a Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year...... stay warm all.......