Rear brake noise

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2017, 02:06 AM
cus

Rear brake noise

Have a bit of an issue with the rear drums on a 73 delta. Have replaced shoes & wheel cylinders, brakes are working well but I'm getting a clacking noise every now & again. Thought it was the backing plate having grooves on the contact points, so filed them flat & put some grease on them, noise went away for a while but came back again recently. Noise comes on when coasting down the road at about 50-60 , I've pulled up, given the brakes a few stabs, put in reverse etc., take off & it comes back again, can go away for quite some time, but seems to not be cured. It's almost like the brakes over adjust a bit & the shoes are pulling on the springs, back & forth, clack, clack, clack, can get pretty loud.
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:56 AM

sounds like your return springs are weak, not allowing the shoes to return once you release the pedal. I would install all new brake hardware, and while you're at it, new shoes, both relatively cheap.
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Check the drums for concentriciy of the friction surfaces to the locating pilot. If they are out of round, the shoes will be moved back and forth. This can cause your noise and can also eventually lead to overadjustment of the shoes by actuating the self adjusting linkage prematurely. I've had exactly this problem with two different sets of brand new (Chinesium) brake drums on two different vehicles.