Drum Brake Spring Color/Location

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Drum Brake Spring Color/Location

Hi All,

Redoing my shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders in my 70' CS. Drum brakes all around and picked up hardware kits from local auto parts. Is there a diagram to show what color goes where? My existing is either severely rusted or missing and I want to make sure I have proper placement. The kit for the front came with 2 gold/yellow, 2 green, handful of white and new retainers, rods, etc. most of it I was able to match up by size and fit but the side shoe springs and retainers I question. Is it one yellow and one green pet wheel?
Old August 24th, 2017, 09:45 PM

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to the colors of the springs in these kits. At least, I've never heard that there weas. I've seen kits with colored springs and kits without, and the colors aren't always consistent for the kits with color springs. What you need is the service manual for your car with a good image of a fully-assembled drum brake.

I redid the rear brakes on my '78 Toronado earlier this year, and I took some before/after photos. Here's the left side before. The springs are not colored, or, if they ever were, the color is long gone.

Here's the same brake after all the springs, shoes, etc. were replaced. One large spring was orange, the other no color at all, and the small one was white. The size and shape of the spring will tell you where it goes as there is only one place for each of them.

Old August 25th, 2017, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Its easier if you do one wheel at a time start to finish so you can use the opposite side as a mirror image in case you get stuck.
Old August 25th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Hi All,

Redoing my shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders in my 70' CS. Drum brakes all around and picked up hardware kits from local auto parts. Is there a diagram to show what color goes where? My existing is either severely rusted or missing and I want to make sure I have proper placement. The kit for the front came with 2 gold/yellow, 2 green, handful of white and new retainers, rods, etc. most of it I was able to match up by size and fit but the side shoe springs and retainers I question. Is it one yellow and one green pet wheel?
The colors are not standard. Different kit manufacturers use different colors. The springs only fit in one place. Usually you would simply match the new ones to the old ones when you take them off.
Old August 25th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Also, there are drawings in the chassis service manual. However, the photos above should be clear enough, and as above, don't worry about the colors. The sizes and lengths are different enough that their positions are clear.
Old August 25th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its easier if you do one wheel at a time start to finish so you can use the opposite side as a mirror image in case you get stuck.

That's exactly the method I used the first time I did brakes on dad's '66 Impala wagon..............when I was 10 years old.
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
That's exactly the method I used the first time I did brakes on dad's '66 Impala wagon..............when I was 10 years old.
I actually still do it, I have a bad case of crs...