Stock pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2016, 09:16 AM

Stock pad replacement

Just started replacing front pads on 72 Supreme. Is there something you need to do with outboard pads, they are in correctly, but seem really floppy in the caliper. Chassis manual described some sort of clinching of the ears(on pad) using channel locks, didn't quite get what it was saying. Don't remember doing this 45 years ago, we just put them in and they were good to go.
Old July 31st, 2016, 09:46 AM

Don't need to bend tabs or anything. They make a brake pad glue but all you need to do is use some RTV black or some kind of flexible silicone on them. All you are doing is keeping them from rattling when you are not on the brakes.
Old July 31st, 2016, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Don't need to bend tabs or anything. They make a brake pad glue but all you need to do is use some RTV black or some kind of flexible silicone on them. All you are doing is keeping them from rattling when you are not on the brakes.
I always clinch those tabs as shown in the CSM. I've never been able to do it on the caliper, so I tap them with a hammer before installing the pads. This usually means that I need to squeeze the pad onto the caliper with a channellock pliers.
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:29 AM

Thanks guys, that's what Im going for, no rattling. The old pads did, and I thought I was missing the clips that go on the inboard pads, but they were there. Ive only done one side, so now only one side to take back apart if its too noisy. Chumley
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:14 PM

I just did that exact operation two weeks ago. They were very loose in the caliper. Channel locks, almost fully extended, work , but it'seems to be one those jobs where the stars, the moon and the sun have to align to get the wrench in the correct position in order to bend those ears down tight on the caliper. It can be done. Quite a difference once they are tight.