Peddles on the floor

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Smash

Peddles on the floor

Haven't had a lot of time with this new 72 Cutlass s finally took it back from a hack body shop. Had brakes when I brought it in and peddle was on the floor trying to get her home. I think they had a good ol time driving her around. Anyway it was quite the adventure getting home with no plates, stickers, registration, (also forgot to bring the bill of sale) or brakes. Checked the obvious fluid, wheel cylinders for leaks nothing on the cylinders. At one point I needed to push hard on what ever brakes I had and it seemed to lock up on one rear tire than pulled to left. Currently has discs in front and drums in rear. Vacuum booster/master setup. Fluid does appear low and there are also drips of fluid running down the booster where master attaches. (Cant believe the downward angle these sit at) Can't really tell how old the 3 or 4 running drips are. Where do I go from here would like to have brakes makes life easier to work on the car. Will eventually convert to discs in the rear so trying not to shot myself in the foot with a new booster/master setup if that would be obsolete with the new rear discs. Those discs probably would not happen right away if I didn't have too. Need some troubleshooting advice to get my brakes back. Wasn't gonna get involved with bleeding until I know more about possible problems. Like I said they were fine when I brought the car in but also only had a couple miles of test driving before I bought the car. Went from my trailer to the body shop. (Long story with family involved again) thx for any help. I have lots of electrical knowledge if I can return the favor.
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

With low fluid and fluid leaking from between the master and the booster, a bad master is your best bet.

See whether the fluid is at different levels in the two different reservoirs - it's likely that the rear is low.

Master cylinders are cheap (though the cheapest ones aren't always very durable), and they're easy to change.

Of course, do check for leaks anywhere else, including at the wheel cylinders, as these tend to go all the time, too.

- Eric
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Smash

The rear of the master has more fluid than the front.
Does it matter with new discs in the back or should I beef up the whole system. Booster/master combos seem reasonably cheap as well. I know nothing about these brake systems so might ask a few dumb questions, is there better options first on size second on the vacuum style booster, seems primitive to me. What's the upgrade here ? Probably do the stock master at first and upgrade the whole thing at some point.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, I would replace the stock m/c so that you can drive the car, then research the "upgrade" possibilities (decidedly in quotation marks) and make your choice.

In your case, what is probably happening is that the fluid in the front is being pumped into the back, and the fluid in the back is being pumped out to the booster, so that now your front calipers have no fluid, and you are relying on the rear brakes alone (which are not adjusted correctly, causing one side to bite first).

- Eric