wierd brake issue

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM

wierd brake issue

ok so I have a 1987 olds 88 (FWD to clerify) and i did the brakes recently. I am noticing that when im at highway speeds and come onto the brakes to slow down I get a very heavy chatter or pulse from the rear drums. Also i get a wierd clicking or ticking sound fomr them as well when im at slower speeds. Does anyone know what causes my problems? and maybe have a solution?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM

I'm just pizzing in the wind here, but have you opend them back up and checked to be sure that everything was still battened down? Last time I did drums on a car was like 18 or 19 years ago though. I had an incident last year where I end up losing a pin out of the brakes that separate the shoes opposite the s cam on my trailer. Rendered the brake inoperable, but was clanging around inside the drum until I got home and could get it fixed. I am thinking possibly the retainer may have come loose and you got stuff flopping around in the drum, but again we are talking nearly 2 decades since the last time I touched drum brakes on a car, and wasn't very good at them then.
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:48 AM

The clicking noise you are hearing is the shoes moving on the backing plate.
As the out of round drum spins it moves the shoes on thier contact points on the backing plate. The shoes are either worn, wasted and or un adjusted.
Chances are the drums should be replaced and that means the shoes too.
Clean the backing plate off good and add a little tiny bit of brake lube to those contact points, adjust them by adjusting them, pulling on the brake cable to recenter shoes and adjusting them more, no drag, but a slight contact and then drive for a hundred miles slowly and not over heating the drums till they have a chance to wear in.
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Did you happen to install new drums when you did the brakes? I've had several recent instances of new Chinesium drums that were out of round from the factory.
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think he's either fixed the problem, or mowed down a crosswalk full of nuns by now, seeing as how the question was posted in June of 2009.

Halloween was last week. Too late for zombies now.

- Eric
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Good one Eric.