Manual to Power Brakes

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Manual to Power Brakes

I have a 61 Dynamic 88 and want to convert from manual to power brakes. How would I go about doing that? If possible, I would also like to switch from drum to disc. Thanks.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM

Hey CC88: First, welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people here.
You should introduce yourself in the Newbie Forum... https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/
People want to learn a little bit about you and your car.

When I replaced the manual drum brakes with power drum brakes on my 67 Delta 88, I had to replace the brake pedal arm from a power brake car. Then all I had to do was install the rebuilt power brake booster from my parts car.

Let's see some pictures of your car in the Newbie Forum or your Profile Page.

Good luck with your ride!
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CC88
I have a 61 Dynamic 88 and want to convert from manual to power brakes. How would I go about doing that? If possible, I would also like to switch from drum to disc. Thanks.
In that case, start with the disc conversion first. Since there are no factory parts for this, you'll need to select an aftermarket kit. The specific calipers used in that kit will dictate the master cylinder required. Once you have this non-stock M/C selected, you'll need to get a matching power booster. None of this will be stock, since the stock power brakes and single circuit M/C won't work with discs. Expect to require some fabrication to get it all to work.
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Thanks, Jaybird and Joe P.

I'm going to start looking for parts for the conversion. I will have pictures up soon.
Thanks again, have a good one.
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:44 PM

I have to share this story partially as a cautionary tale and mostly cause it still makes me laugh. Back in high school my buddy bought a '66 GTO, very cool for being 15 at the time. It was a manual drum car so first junkyard stop yielded a power booster from a similar model and on it went. Well installation was very straightforward and the anticipated test-drive came and the first enthusiastic stop just about put both of us through the windshield! Ha! Anyway be sure to use the right master cylinder for the job. That's a sweet model cc88, will be following your progress.
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM

You may also run into some issues with the brake lines. Specifically the fittings on the master cylinder, I think the fittings are a different size between the disc and drum master cylinder. Also being a single circuit mc, it will be different anyway.
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kevdog442
Also being a single circuit mc, it will be different anyway.
Which is why I didn't bother to bring this up. The dual circuit M/C requires all new plumbing (and a prop valve) anyway, so this is pretty much overcome by events.