Top cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Top cylinder problem

I just reinstalled the convertible top frame on my 69 Cutlass. While the car was apart, I had the top cylinders checked for leaks and was told that they were good. Last night,I went through the procedure in the manual for bleeding out the air and everything looked good and was dry through several up and down cycles. Tonight, I went out to the garage and there is a puddle of hydraulic fluid under one of the cylinders. On putting the frame up, I see it is leaking from the top around the rod. Do I need a new cylinder, or is there possibly another (cheaper) solution?
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Sounds like the seal may have dried out while sitting? or maybe it was dropped and there is a hair line crack or something. I find these cylinders very fragile. The area I find most prone to problems is the nylon threads on the top part of the cylinder. They can be stripped with the slightest bit of over torque. Once they are stripped they usually continue to leak. There was a post on this subject and someone actually took the time and had the expertise to rebuild. I don't. In your case you might have to fork up the $ for a new one or nice used one if you can find.
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they were that fragile, and do seem to recall knocking one off the bench a few weeks back. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the other one keeps working and stays leak-free.

Ken