Starfire Brakes

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2019, 11:57 AM

Starfire Brakes

I have a 1965 Oldsmobile starfire and using it as a daily driver. Due to safety, I want to update the vehicle to a dual circuit brake system and disc brakes in the front. From the research I have done the firestar is a B body I have not been able to find a bolt-on disc brake system for this car.

Questions I am throwing out to the forum:

1. Has anyone on the forum updated their 1965 firestar to front disc brakes? How did you do it?
2. Would a conversion kit for a '65/'66 Delta 88 or Chevy Impala and then put a kit made for those cars on this firestar? I seems logical to me, but I have not compared the parts side by side to make sure the geometry is the same between the Chevy and Olds. I'm sure the Delta parts would go on without a problem. But not sure enough to spend the money

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!...Dan

Old September 5th, 2019, 12:34 PM

I believe the B body cars did not offer disc brakes until 1968 or 69. Then in order to convert or use that disc brake set up (keeping the original 5x5 lug pattern verses the after market Impala conversion that changes the lug pattern to 5x4.75), you need the spindles, master cylinder, booster, proportion valve, along with the discs and calipers. Plus you'll need to up your rim size to 15 inch. Then FYI, replacement parts for the OEM '69 set up is very hard if not impossible to find. Just enjoy your 4 wheel drums
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, your Starfire is a B-body, same as an Olds Delta 88. Despite this, the chassis and suspension are completely different from Impala parts for the same year. Nothing interchanges. The best solution is to use the disc brake spindles and parts from a 1969-70 Olds full size. The spindles are bolt-on. I've got this setup for my 67 Delta (the 65-70 cars use the same front suspension and spindles interchange).

Yes, Scarebird makes an aftermarket kit using rotors that are smaller than the factory ones. I've previously posted my concerns about that and similar aftermarket disc brake conversion kits. Your money, your car.
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsrocket88
I believe the B body cars did not offer disc brakes until 1968 or 69. Then in order to convert or use that disc brake set up (keeping the original 5x5 lug pattern verses the after market Impala conversion that changes the lug pattern to 5x4.75), you need the spindles, master cylinder, booster, proportion valve, along with the discs and calipers. Plus you'll need to up your rim size to 15 inch. Then FYI, replacement parts for the OEM '69 set up is very hard if not impossible to find. Just enjoy your 4 wheel drums
1967 was the first year for factory-available disc brakes. The Impala parts do NOT work on the Olds full size. The front suspension and spindles are completely different. Nothing interchanges.
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:39 PM

Where is the Kit?
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1967 was the first year for factory-available disc brakes. The Impala parts do NOT work on the Olds full size. The front suspension and spindles are completely different. Nothing interchanges.
I sit corrected

I have the 69/70 setup myself as well...
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 52dan
Where is the Kit?
In the junkyard . Just find a 67 thru 70 "B" or "C" body car with disc brakes and useable rotors .
Nobody makes a " kit " .
Old September 6th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Many Thanks Phantom Phixer
Old September 6th, 2019, 04:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Scarebird sells aftermarket brackets and a parts list of stuff you get from an auto parts store. As I said, be informed about how these aftermarket designs are less capable than factory disc brakes (smaller, narrower rotor, etc). You find them on the Scarebird website.