Rear drums for 69 Delta 88 conv.

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hello all, I need help. I'm new to this forum and to the Olds world. Being a mostly Mopar guy. I recently picked up a 1969 Delta 88 convertible. It had been sitting for a few years and needed some attention. The rear drums were shot so I need new ones. It seems as though no one manufactures them anymore. I wanted to see if anyone knows of a source for new drums or can tell me what other cars have interchangable parts. Any help would be great.
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Past Administrator

You must be kidding Sean, I bought new drums just a few years ago for mine. I will check around to see what I can find. Did you check all your local auto parts stores? Sometimes, the counter guy just isn't too swift...

what are your plans for the Delta? Restoration, Street Rod, Muscle car???? What engine and rear end ratio does your's have?

Mine came as a plain vanilla 455 2bbl TH400 with highway rear end gearing on a peg leg. Not too many performance packages on the Delta that year, although I did read about a police package that could be had on it that gave some heavy duty components on suspension/drivetrain and coolant. Apparently some agencies in the North Central used them as police cruiser....never saw one though.

As I said, I will check around here and post back.
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Thanks Oldsguy I'd appreciate it. I have checked with all the parts houses in my area. My wife works at a speed shop and she can't find anything from her suppliers either. Also a friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop couldn't find anything. I found a web site for a company in Jersey (Kanter something). They list a set but they're $95 each! Ouch! Then I gotta ship them to the left coast. I'm still looking.

Anyway, here's some info on my car. It's a '69 Delta 88 convertible as I said before. It has a 455 Rocket with a 2bbl under the hood. It's loaded; A/C, power windows, power brakes, power top, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, cruise control. I'm not too Olds savy but I'm not too sure there was much more available in a car by anybody back then. I'm not sure what gearing it has. It does have a 12 bolt rear end. I'm also not sure of the milage, the odometer says just over 40K so I'm pretty sure it's 140K because of the condition of the front seat.

I don't really have any plans for it. I would like to get it to operable condition and sell it. It was free and I shouldn't have to put a ton of money into it. Just clean it up. It will make an excellent project for someone. I have too many cars that need attention and don't want this one to go to waste sitting in my yard. If I hadn't picked it up it was going to the wrecking yard and it's too nice of a car to do that to. Even though I love Mopars, I'm a car guy to the bone and can appreciate true potential when I see it.

I would like to get more info about this car. Things like what trannys they came with and how to identify them. Where the build sheet is most likely placed. What gear ratios they came with. That kind of stuff. Also, how many Deltas where made in '69? What kind of value do they hold? Are they rare or pretty common? Any info on this would be great too.
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Will rear drums for a '64-'72 Cutlass fit on a '69 Delta 88?
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Past Administrator

Sean, sorry for the long delay, just spent a week in Texas with my sick mother. Anyway.....

The 12 bolt rear is called the type "O" which is different from the 12 bolts found on the other GMs. The gearing is porbably around 2.73:1, maybe a little bit steeper. The Delta was not considered to be a quick car but a cruiser. Some police agencies even used the four door version with some heavier suspension and cooling parts as cruisers. No, the drums from a different car will not work, the ones on a Delta are larger (11" I think). As far as the tranny goes, you more than likely have the TH400 since you have a big block, I think, but am not sure, the cars with the 350 engine may have had a TH350. I have a good reference book at home that I will check about these things for you. Also on the drums. Again, sorry for the delay. Oh, BTW, I found the build sheet for my car in the springs of the rear seat bottom. Yours, might be there, or in the springs of the front seat bottom, or under the carpet between the padding and the carpet, or stuck on the rear panel between the passenger compartment and the trunk, you have to remove the rear seat back for that. Good luck.