Question on 1968 Disc Brake Replacement Spindles

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Question on 1968 Disc Brake Replacement Spindles

I’m looking to find replacement front disc brake spindles and steering arms for my 1968 Cutlass with the original 4 piston calipers. All I find is spindles and steerings arms that state they are for 64 - 72. Where the spindles and the steering arms the same for all these years even though the calipers changed? Just trying to make sure before I buy.

Thanks Tim
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tjohn8573
I’m looking to find replacement front disc brake spindles and steering arms for my 1968 Cutlass with the original 4 piston calipers. All I find is spindles and steerings arms that state they are for 64 - 72. Where the spindles and the steering arms the same for all these years even though the calipers changed? Just trying to make sure before I buy.

Thanks Tim
The disc brake spindles were only made in the 1967-1972 model years. The aftermarket ones are sold to FIT 64-72 for people who are doing conversions. They do physically interchange across those years.

The 67-68 four piston calipers use a different caliper bracket than do the 69-72 single piston calipers. The spindles are the same, just the bracket changes. You need to reuse your old caliper brackets (or get correct repros).
Why do you need steering arms? There are some subtle difference across the years, including a change in the diameter of the bolts that hold the steering arms to the spindles. Also, repro steering arms will likely be for Chevelles, which used different arms for manual and power steering. Olds used the same arms (within a given model year) for both manual and power. You should be able to just unbolt your old arms and transfer them to the new spindles. Yes, drum and disc steering arms are the same.
Old August 27th, 2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The disc brake spindles were only made in the 1967-1972 model years. The aftermarket ones are sold to FIT 64-72 for people who are doing conversions. They do physically interchange across those years.

The 67-68 four piston calipers use a different caliper bracket than do the 69-72 single piston calipers. The spindles are the same, just the bracket changes. You need to reuse your old caliper brackets (or get correct repros).
Why do you need steering arms? There are some subtle difference across the years, including a change in the diameter of the bolts that hold the steering arms to the spindles. Also, repro steering arms will likely be for Chevelles, which used different arms for manual and power steering. Olds used the same arms (within a given model year) for both manual and power. You should be able to just unbolt your old arms and transfer them to the new spindles. Yes, drum and disc steering arms are the same.
Thank you Joe! That answers my questions perfectly. The steering arms was kinda of a MAW. I will probably just reuse the steering arms and sandblast and paint.
Old August 28th, 2019, 11:34 PM

I have ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Pads for the 1967 - 1968 four (4) piston caliper application --- and with the price of some of those other parts for this car (rotors, etc.),
You or anyone else would be crazy to use anything but ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ here.....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.......