Proportioning Valve leak please help!

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2015, 01:05 PM

Proportioning Valve leak please help!

I have a 68 442 which i converted to front disc brakes (1971 model with single pistons) and i am on my second proportioning valve in 2 weeks due to the fact that it leaks from the metering valve. Its made by MBM model PV2. I used silicone brake fluid as i put new stainless steel lines as well. I can i stop it from leaking? Do i need to remove the metering valve and sealed it with white tape used for brake lines? Is it due to different viscosity? Please help.
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by W-27
I have a 68 442 which i converted to front disc brakes (1971 model with single pistons) and i am on my second proportioning valve in 2 weeks due to the fact that it leaks from the metering valve. Its made by MBM model PV2. I used silicone brake fluid as i put new stainless steel lines as well. I can i stop it from leaking? Do i need to remove the metering valve and sealed it with white tape used for brake lines? Is it due to different viscosity? Please help.
The combo valve uses inverted flare fittings, which seal on the flare. Tape on the threads is useless; the threads DO NOT seal. If two new valves leak, the problem is probably not the valve but the flare on the line going into it.
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The combo valve uses inverted flare fittings, which seal on the flare. Tape on the threads is useless; the threads DO NOT seal. If two new valves leak, the problem is probably not the valve but the flare on the line going into it.
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:53 AM

Joe, what would you suggest i do to alliviate the issue? The leak is defenetely coming from the metering valve.
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Did you flare your own lines?

I understand you put new Stainless steel lines on this valve. I have done some double flares on regular tubing before, they looked perfect. BUT there was a tiny line on the face of the flare where the tubing was seamed that caused a leak. You might want to really closely examine those flares.
Just a thought.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Beer Connoisseur

If you are using stainless line, it has to be really really tight. I had the same problem when I switched my lines to stainless, it leaked at almost every connection. I had to tighten all of them as much as I could.
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tom442
I understand you put new Stainless steel lines on this valve. I have done some double flares on regular tubing before, they looked perfect. BUT there was a tiny line on the face of the flare where the tubing was seamed that caused a leak. You might want to really closely examine those flares.
Just a thought.
Tom, what did you do to fix the situation?
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
If you are using stainless line, it has to be really really tight. I had the same problem when I switched my lines to stainless, it leaked at almost every connection. I had to tighten all of them as much as I could.
I did that, they are as tight as i could make them any more and they would strip the threads.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:34 PM

"Tom, what did you do to fix the situation?"

I had to re-bend the lines (lucky it was the front left) and they held the second time around...