power steering questions

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM

power steering questions

Hello,
Couple of things that I have really wanted to ask and want comments about regarding power steering. some info about the car.
'69 88, sb. 235/70/r14. ps pump looks a bit old. new belt, as tight as I can do by hand. fluid old but looks okay.

When car is not moving, high pitched sound heard when turning steering wheel. Turns okay. I think it can be better. But I have not driven any other classic to know. So excuse my lack of knowledge. Is a new pump/rebuild needed?
Break the steering wheel as much as it goes, and a very loud squeal is heard. I immediately counter a little , always makes me cringe. I want a mechanical stop. Is this possible?

Ed
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Belts should never be "as tight as I can do."

There is a set standard for how tight they should be, and there is even a tool for measuring their tension.

Essentially, you should be able to deflect the belts about ½" in the middle of their longest spans, with moderate to firm finger pressure.

Go out and check your P/S belt - if it's looser than that, then the belt it stretched out and that's your problem.

- Eric
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

You will get different sounds from your pump with no load (not turning the steering wheel) vs a load (turning). Yes when turn your wheels all the way to one side or the other the sound you hear is the build up of pressure and relief from running into the end stop. It's pretty normal!
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM

I used my thumb to see how much the belt could deflect, it does 1/2 - 1 inch in the middle. I think it's good enough. I will check the pump again to see how much it deflects now. I'm hesitant in buying a gauge though, I am not convinced.
I was under the impression my car had no stop, so I freak out if I broke it completely to a side and heard the loud squeal. I get more people turning their heads when they hear that than the car itself
Ed
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

More than ½" is too much.
If your belt is adjusted to the end of the adjuster's travel, then it's stretched out, or it's the wrong size.

- Eric
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM

thanks for the info Eric. I have thought about it a little and if I can find a inexpensive gauge I will get it.
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You don't really need a gauge - just someone else with a car from the '50's through the '80's with V-belts (not a newer car with serpentine belts) that doesn't squeal.
Feel the tension of their belts along a similarly long distance between pulleys, the feel your own. If yours is significantly looser, then that's your problem.

- Eric
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Olds-Can

How do you adjust the belt? mine makes a loud sqweeling noise and the belt is very loose.