Parking brake adjustment 🤔

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2020, 05:38 PM

Parking brake adjustment 🤔

What is the proper adjustment? My '72 Supreme won't roll forward in gear when the parking brake is set, but it will roll in reverse. Do I need to adjust it so it won't roll in either direction, or am I good?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 06:30 PM
Running On Empty

Dave - The parking brake should hold the vehicle in both forward and reverse direction i.e. the car should not roll forward and the car should not roll backwards when in the neutral position. You need to adjust your rear brakes per the CSM. You do this on the rear brakes. There are pretty pictures and a description of how to adjust the rear brakes. This assumes you still have drum rears.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I adjust mine so that its fully set when depressed 1/3 of the way down.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Dave - The parking brake should hold the vehicle in both forward and reverse direction i.e. the car should not roll forward and the car should not roll backwards when in the neutral position. You need to adjust your rear brakes per the CSM. You do this on the rear brakes. There are pretty pictures and a description of how to adjust the rear brakes. This assumes you still have drum rears.
So when engaged and in gear, should it hold? Cuz it doesn't roll in drive, but it will in reverse...didn't check it in neutral.
As far as the rear drum adjustment, I always thought you do that by putting it in reverse and backing up then hitting the brakes to let the self adjusters do their work...am I wrong?

Last edited by 72455; October 3rd, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 07:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 72455
So when engaged and in gear, should it hold? Cuz it doesn't roll in drive, but it will in reverse...didn't check it in neutral.
As far as the rear drum adjustment, I always thought you do that by putting it in reverse and backing up then hitting the brakes to let the self adjusters do their work...am I wrong?
Well, it shouldn't really roll in reverse while in reverse gear for that matter. Although, that's modestly subjective considering I don't know what your low idle is set to on your car, if you're on an incline, etc. The fact of the matter is, the parking brake should "lock" the rear wheels, period - that's what it is designed to do. Adjust it per the CSM.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 08:05 PM
Running On Empty

Dave - As an additional follow-up to your other thread regarding your dash light stays on, you stated in that thread you push your parking brake a mere two clicks and that's as much travel as it takes before the parking brake is set. As I mentioned, you should generally push the parking brake pedal ~3/4 travel down when the parking brakes engages and locks the rear brakes. For whatever reason, that's too tight, IMO. You need to evaluate what's going on with the parking brake cable from under the chassis. You may, in fact, need to remove the wheels and actually see if the parking brake cable is functioning properly as designed. The Equalizer Nut is located in the middle of the chassis (underneath the floor pan). It equalizes the force between the two rear wheels. Make certain the cable which runs from the Equalizer to each rear wheel has freedom and isn't binding on the cable guides. Actually, make certain you have two cable guides. It's possible for any reason a cable guide broke, and the Equalizer is applying force to only one rear wheel. I can't say without looking at it. But you need to look at it, determine the parking brake cable is free from any bindings, encumbrances, etc. and you can determine the Equalizer is functioning as designed.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 08:22 PM
Running On Empty

Sorry, I just re-read your post. We're not discussing rear drum adjustment. We're simply talking about the Equalizer Nut dead center under the floor pan of the chassis. I guess I see where you thought I was talking about a self adjuster since I stated rear brakes. I mean rear brakes only in the sense the parking brake holds only the rear brakes, so you need to ensure the rear brakes are functioning as designed when the parking brake is set correctly which entails ensuring the Equalizer Nut is properly adjusted. Sorry if I confused you.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 3rd, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 10:13 PM

Yes, the park brake should prevent the vehicle from moving forward or backwards.

If the rear brake hardware is functioning properly, the self-adjusting function should keep the brakes adjusted correctly. If the hardware is worn, has missing parts, or parts installed incorrectly (you wouldn't believe how badly some folks mess up drum brakes), the self-adjusters may not work properly.

Old October 4th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Well, it shouldn't really roll in reverse while in reverse gear for that matter. Although, that's modestly subjective considering I don't know what your low idle is set to on your car, if you're on an incline, etc. The fact of the matter is, the parking brake should "lock" the rear wheels, period - that's what it is designed to do. Adjust it per the CSM.
Idle is set around 850 in park, and it rolls in reverse on level ground when the parking brake is set. I'll take a look at the CSM and make the necessary adjustment.
Old October 4th, 2020, 05:11 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

To check the parking brake remove the rear drums, check nothing is worn out or has fluid leaks.
The parking brake operating lever should be at the beginning of its travel, if it isn't slacken the cable(s) until it is. Make sure the cable is free to move in its housing.
Make sure the foot brake is properly adjusted - self adjusters sometimes don't work properly.
Take up most (but not all) of the slack in the parking brake cables.
Put the drums back on and try the parking brake, it should smoothly increase resistance on the pedal until it's 1/2-3/4's through its travel.
Quick and dirty check, put the wheels on and tighten the lug nuts, the wheels should hold firm both ways.

All to often I have found brakes "adjusted" by tightening up the cable, if the rear brakes are set up and working properly you should almost never need to adjust the cable.

Roger.
Old October 4th, 2020, 05:48 AM

Dave - As an additional follow-up to your other thread regarding your dash light stays on, you stated in that thread you push your parking brake a mere two clicks and that's as much travel as it takes before the parking brake is set. As I mentioned, you should generally push the parking brake pedal ~3/4 travel down when the parking brakes engages and locks the rear brakes. For whatever reason, that's too tight, IMO. You need to evaluate what's going on with the parking brake cable from under the chassis. You may, in fact, need to remove the wheels and actually see if the parking brake cable is functioning properly as designed. The Equalizer Nut is located in the middle of the chassis (underneath the floor pan). It equalizes the force between the two rear wheels. Make certain the cable which runs from the Equalizer to each rear wheel has freedom and isn't binding on the cable guides. Actually, make certain you have two cable guides. It's possible for any reason a cable guide broke, and the Equalizer is applying force to only one rear wheel. I can't say without looking at it. But you need to look at it, determine the parking brake cable is free from any bindings, encumbrances, etc. and you can determine the Equalizer is functioning as designed.
I know the cable isn't bound up nor the equalizer, because they both move freely when I wiggle then. Also, the equalizer works as it should...no binding and the adjusting nut moves freely.
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Running On Empty

I know the cable isn't bound up nor the equalizer, because they both move freely when I wiggle then. Also, the equalizer works as it should...no binding and the adjusting nut moves freely.
OK. So, it's beginning to sound as though you're going to need to dig deeper in the wheel brake drum to ensure hardware components are installed correctly, not worn out, and adjusted properly. If you follow rustyroger's comments, you should quickly be able to determine if the brakes are working "as designed". Honestly, every time I've had to adjust drum brakes on any rear drum brake car I've owned, I've had a manual right in front of me every time and followed the instructions meticulously. Some folks know drum brakes like the back of their hand & can perform the adjustments in their sleep - not me, I have to read it several times. GL
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:07 AM

So if it stops as it should when braking in reverse, then can we assume the rear brakes are working and adjusted correctly?
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Running On Empty

So if it stops as it should when braking in reverse, then can we assume the rear brakes are working and adjusted correctly?
No. The brakes are hydraulically actuated via the brake lines. The parking brake is manually activated.
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Running On Empty

If someone made adjustments to the self-adjuster w/ the parking brake set, the self-adjuster would be incorrectly adjusted. I'll toss up a couple videos for you to evaluate. It's a little time consuming but you have something incorrectly adjusted most likely, maybe that knurl behind the wheel hub where the cable leads into the drum? Clearances are important as are the functioning of each hardware piece.

Old October 4th, 2020, 02:32 PM

No. At one time my Jeep had an issue with the parking brake self adjusters not working well (worn out originals), and while the brakes worked when "braking in reverse" the Jeep would roll back down the driveway with the parking brake set. I had to pull the lever up almost all the way to prevent it from rolling. New drum brake hardware corrected that issue.
Old October 7th, 2020, 07:33 PM

Followed the CSM and adjusted my parking brake today...one note of interest though. The CSM doesn't tell you to put the car in neutral... otherwise how are you going to spin the tire to check the adjustment?

After adjustment, the light on my dash is still on with the parking brake released...guess I'll have to check the directional valve...nice.