no access hole in rear drum backing plate

Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM

no access hole in rear drum backing plate

I'm about to install a '66 chevelle 12 bolt posi in my 69 cutlass. I've had this rear end in my other 69 cutlass for 20 years. I guess I've never had a problem pulling the drums off so I never noticed this before. Just got me wondering what I'd do if I did have a problem and couldn't access the star wheel to turn back the shoes? Any thoughts?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Land Yacht Captain

If it doesn't have holes in the backing plates then it should have holes in the face of the drum itself.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM

thanks 66ninetyeightls! Like they say, you learn something new everyday. Sure enough there are plugs/access holes in the drums. Which obviously I never noticed and would never have thought to look there. I guess if I decide to replace the drums I need to make sure they are the right ones. Thanks again. This site rocks!
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by one4theroad
thanks 66ninetyeightls! Like they say, you learn something new everyday. Sure enough there are plugs/access holes in the drums. Which obviously I never noticed and would never have thought to look there. I guess if I decide to replace the drums I need to make sure they are the right ones. Thanks again. This site rocks!
There are no access holes in the backing plate on the wheels of my '67 Delta 88 either, and I find that little oblong "access" hole on the front of the drum very difficult to get anything through to turn the star wheel.

Anyway, according to this guy, you free a stuck brake drum by whacking it with a hammer, and not on the side you would think. I'm not kidding. It's a 2-minute video.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327529_re...rake-drum.html
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Yeah thats nothing new. Thats how every mechanic on the planet frees a stuck brake drum, brake rotors as well. Its mainly to break free the drum/rotor because they rust to the hub at the mating surface. This will not work if the drum is badly worn or a layer of rust has built up on the other side of the brake shoe.

The hole on the outside of the drum is no smaller than the hole that is usually on the backing plate. You can buy specialty tools or just use a small flat screwdriver.

Oh yeah on another note. What the hell is a mechanic doing using a claw hammer??? Is he pulling nails out of cars. I would be too embarrased to use that in any shop I ever worked in.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; October 19th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There are no access holes in the backing plate on the wheels of my '67 Delta 88 either, and I find that little oblong "access" hole on the front of the drum very difficult to get anything through to turn the star wheel.

Anyway, according to this guy, you free a stuck brake drum by whacking it with a hammer, and not on the side you would think. I'm not kidding. It's a 2-minute video.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327529_re...rake-drum.html
He makes it seem sooooo easy. BULLSHIT! None of the ones I have did were ever that easy